[Nithia] Borrowing from Assassins Creed Origins

For the world is hollow, and I have touched the sky.
The Book-House: Find Hollow World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Havard, Thorf

Havard
Dragon Turtle

[Nithia] Borrowing from Assassins Creed Origins

Post by Havard » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:24 pm

I didn't really enjoy the early Assassin's Creed games, but over the last few titles they have changed the gameplay in ways that apparently the hard core fans hate, but which I personally liked.

I played through Assassins Creed Origins about a year ago. As with most things, it made me think about Mystara :ugeek: . In this case, the Egyptian setting made me think about Nithia. What from this game could be brought into Nithia?

One thing that fasciated me were the weapons. While there are hundreds of weapons in the game, each with unique names and some with suggestions of a cool backstory, there are some basic weapon types:

BOWS
Hunter Bows - Standard bow
Warrior bows - fire a spray of multiple shots, making it easier to hit, but doing less damage
Light bows - fire lots of arrows fast, doing lots of damage, but at the cost of ammo
Predator bows - Sniper Rifle type bow. Long range.

MELEE WEAPONS
Regular swords - standard weapon
Dual swords - This bit was a bit weird to me, but this was the games way of handling dual wielding. Those weapons only came in pairs. very short reach.
Sickle swords - Something like a Khopesh or Scimiar. Slower, but allowed some fancy moves.
Heavy blunts - more damage, but slower
Heavy blades - these are long axes. more damage but slower
Spears - range, but slower
Scepters - These are really long clubs, surprisingly. More range, more damage, but slow.

Things like weapon speed, accuracy and reach are probably outside the scope of the game. I suppose some of those things could be incorporated into the weapon mastery charts? Overall, my main interest about this game were visuals though, that really showed a wide range of equipment that at least to me seemed believable in an Egyptian-inspired setting.

Have you played this game? What would you bring from it into a Nithian Empire campaign, if anything? :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Argentmantle
Hill Giant

Re: [Nithia] Borrowing from Assassins Creed Origins

Post by Argentmantle » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:32 am

This might work, completely off the cuff...

Assassin's Creed Fighting Styles
Warrior Shot
As a bonus action, you may fire a spray of arrows from your warrior bow as fast as you can reload. You gain an advantage on your attack rolls with a bow but your damage dice type decreases by one. You cannot use this ability again until after your next turn.
Damaging Burst
As a bonus action, you may fire a second shot in quick succession. You may make an extra attack at a disadvantage with your bow. You cannot use this ability again until after your next turn.
Predator Bows
You may count a missile weapon’s long-range as the normal range.
Spearman
When you use a Thrown weapon, you gain a +1 bonus to damage. In addition, your normal range with a Thrown Weapon increases by 50% up to the maximum range for the weapon.

Argentmantle
Hill Giant

Post by Argentmantle » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:34 am

Let’s add a couple extra fighting styles to give some flavor for the Nithians.
Nithian Themed Fighting Styles
Unarmored Defense
Due to the scorching heat of the sun, you’ve learned to protect yourself while not wearing armor. While wearing no armor, you gain a +2 bonus to your AC. While wearing light or medium armor, you gain a +1 bonus to your AC. While heavy armor, you do not gain any bonus.
Shield Training
You are especially proficient in using your shields to protect themselves against missile weapons. A shield normally gives you a +2 bonus to AC, against ranged attacks, this bonus increases to +4.
Hurler
When you use a Thrown weapon, you gain a +1 bonus to damage. In addition, your normal range with a Thrown Weapon increases by 50% up to the maximum range for the weapon.

Morfie
Metamorph

Post by Morfie » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:37 am

I think Havard was looking more from the BECMI side rather than 5e there Argentmantle, but your posts probably add more flavour anyway.

Never played it I'm afraid but always wanted to. I've only ever seen my brother-in-law play the Middle Ages Italy one. Watched the movie also set in that time but fell asleep during it!

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:05 pm

Morfie wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:37 am
I think Havard was looking more from the BECMI side rather than 5e there Argentmantle, but your posts probably add more flavour anyway.
I did mention BECMI, but to be honest I am open to any edition at this point. I can split it into separate threads if it gets confusing.
Never played it I'm afraid but always wanted to. I've only ever seen my brother-in-law play the Middle Ages Italy one. Watched the movie also set in that time but fell asleep during it!
Those early games were fascinating, but really annoying to play (at least to me). The last few games have changed the mechanics and turned the game into much more of an RPG (in the computer game sense, with ways to improve your character, open ended etc).

And yeah, the movie was awful! Mortal Kombat is still the best video game based movie ever made :facepalm: :lol:

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:54 pm

Havard wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:24 pm
Have you played this game? What would you bring from it into a Nithian Empire campaign, if anything? :)
Have you considered looking at wiki content for inspiration?:

There is an Assassins Creed: Origins article on the Assassins Creed WIki.

That article has a section about RPG elements.

It says the game has a Skill Tree with three branches:
  • Master Warrior, which focuses on melee combat.
  • Master Hunter, which focuses on ranged combat and stealth.
  • Master Seer, which focuses on tools and manipulating the environment.
I think you could take a look at those roles and see what sort of class options, in the BECMI rules would have a similar vibe to the warrior, hunter, seer split.

There is also a Crafting System. That's based around gathering grindy items and making things. The range of items and the number of items needed to make each one, is probably a bit over the top and not something you want to use. But some of the broad categories (like Bracer and Breastplate) are probably things you might want to look at as magical item options.

The last thing in that RPG elements section is "Desert Overheat" which seems to be rules about characters in the computer game getting heatstroke. I'm sure there are going to be some areas of the Hollow World where the environment is also dangerously hot.

It looks like there is a mix of modern age stuff and old stuff in Assasins Creed, which probably means you have some inappropriate stuff in there, but there might be walk-through maps online, that you can raid and use as encounter maps.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Return to “Hollow World”