Muskoxtaurs in HW tundra

For the world is hollow, and I have touched the sky.
The Book-House: Find Hollow World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Havard, Thorf

Khuzd
Troll
Location: Mad-dirid (Madrid); used to be Barcelona (Barak-Zelona), Spain

Muskoxtaurs in HW tundra

Post by Khuzd »

I'm dreaming about crashing the [flying/air/space]ship of my high level Alphatian PCs in the northern tundra of the HW.

There, they can get involved in a brutal war between Ice Giants, white dragons and carnivor muskoxtaurs (for these ones, see this images: http://www.fantasticexclusive.com/fforu ... IC_ID=2126 ).

May be giants, dragons and muskoxtaurs (minotaur statistics + 2HD) have been united under a powerful evil lord and his army is marching against the poor Antalian settlements.

Who could be that evil overlord? A giant White dragon? A powerful, evil, Ice-Vale elf?

Or should I make them become undead, so they do not need food nor rest?

(PCs are BECMI 17-20th level each).
"Glantri needs some re-shaping; a million dwarves would help!"

Chimpman
Hadozee

Re: Muskoxtaurs in HW tundra

Post by Chimpman »

I love that muskoxtaur toy! That is freaking awesome!

Instead of using minotaur stats, have you considered using yak folk? That would give you your evil overlord as well, as the yak folk are known for enslaving other races.
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

Khuzd
Troll

Post by Khuzd »

Yak folk? Do they exist? I had never heard about them!

Only about yak spirits in the GAZ of Ethengar...

Where can I find more about them?

Khuzd
Troll

Post by Khuzd »

OK, I have found this about Yak Folk with BECMI stats!!!!:
http://monstersandmanuals.blogspot.com/ ... -folk.html

I like it! I think I can have both!!!

Now I need some powerful overlord...

Bonetti
Fire Giant

Post by Bonetti »

Khuzd wrote:Now I need some powerful overlord...
Obviously, he must be: Muskoxtaurus Rex, king of the Muskoxtaurs...
Darokin expansion (maps, notes, merchant houses)
NaNoWriMo: Winner 2013-2017; Camp NaNoWriMo: 2014-2018

Khuzd
Troll

Post by Khuzd »

Muskoxtaurus Rex, king of the Muskoxtaurs...
:lol: :lol:

Noooo... I need an intelligent, powerful, evil plotting overlord. These are powerful PCs.

Bonetti
Fire Giant

Post by Bonetti »

Darn, all I had was a (bad) joke :-)

Um... well, he could always be a god-king of some sort, basically a really powerful caster in his own right and tied to brutal magics (or even a lich already)? Perhaps he needs to slake his (or his master's) thirst with blood, thus the constant war. Give him an ancient (conquered) white dragon (perhaps a dracolich of some sort) as a steed, and a bunch of absolutely brutal, loyal brutish bodyguards, and there's a real fight there. (Yeah, ok, it's kind of stereotypical...)

Of course, you could probably come close to hobbling the party by having them have to deal with a rough (purely physical) fight right at the edge of the no-magic zone...

Oooh, have some remnants of Blackmoor technology inside the no-magic zone, so that they have "magic" and no one else does. Then the power cells give out just as the PCs figure out the items... :-)
Darokin expansion (maps, notes, merchant houses)
NaNoWriMo: Winner 2013-2017; Camp NaNoWriMo: 2014-2018

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman »

I was going to say "Blackmoor" too :!: Honest! I suppose that might make more sense at the southern polar opening (near the Blacklore) than at the northern polar opening though. Here are some other ideas:

Demon Summoning Kogolor dwarf lord (does that work in the HW?).

Wastour - probably sitting on one of the sleeping Burrowers and siphoning off a portion of its power.

Zargosian Necromancer - involved in some plot to blot out the HW's sun (of course ;) ).
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Gawain_VIII
Storm Giant

Post by Gawain_VIII »

Think back to the beginning of your campaign. Who was that one NPC villan that you really liked playing during the party's low-level days? The party hasn't thought about this guy in years, how could any of them possibly know that this guy was, in fact, not defeated by the party all those years ago, and has grown in strength and power--hiding in the HW ever since.
"Time does not heal all things--only swift and decisive action does." --Roger LaVern Girtman, II, 17 April 2010
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Classic Campaigns, my Mystara fansite
Moderator of The Piazza's Mystara and M3e Project forums.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew »

That's a really cool toy- I like the Muskoxtaur!

As Chimpman suggested, the Yakfolk is a great option to use for the Muskoxtaur. They were 2E creatures (primarily found in Zakhara in the Forgotten Realms, IIRC), but they would work well on Mystara. As part of the Minotaur project that I've been working on and off on for some time now, I was actually going to introduce a Mystaran Yakfolk. Instead of the Djinni summoning, though, I was going to tie them explicitly to the Spirit World introduced in Gaz12, and have them capable of summoning spirits. (I was also, naturally, going to place yakfolk in both the Black Mountain region of Ethengar, as well as in the Glantrian Alps and Silver Sierras).
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Post by AuldDragon »

Cthulhudrew wrote:As Chimpman suggested, the Yakfolk is a great option to use for the Muskoxtaur. They were 2E creatures (primarily found in Zakhara in the Forgotten Realms, IIRC), but they would work well on Mystara. As part of the Minotaur project that I've been working on and off on for some time now, I was actually going to introduce a Mystaran Yakfolk. Instead of the Djinni summoning, though, I was going to tie them explicitly to the Spirit World introduced in Gaz12, and have them capable of summoning spirits. (I was also, naturally, going to place yakfolk in both the Black Mountain region of Ethengar, as well as in the Glantrian Alps and Silver Sierras).
There was an article on them in an issue of Dragon Magazine (one of the Annuals, IIRC, in the "Campaign Classics" section), and at the end of the article, it listed how they can be used on other worlds. I think the largest section was on Mystara. Might be some good fodder in there.

Jeff
Let's Play Old Games with AuldDragon (Youtube) | My 2nd Edition Blog
Monster Mythology Update Project | Spelljammer Livestream Campaign
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman »

Cthulhudrew wrote:As part of the Minotaur project that I've been working on and off on for some time now, I was actually going to introduce a Mystaran Yakfolk. Instead of the Djinni summoning, though, I was going to tie them explicitly to the Spirit World introduced in Gaz12, and have them capable of summoning spirits. (I was also, naturally, going to place yakfolk in both the Black Mountain region of Ethengar, as well as in the Glantrian Alps and Silver Sierras).
I really like that take on the Yak Folk. Tying them to the Spirit World of Gaz 12 works well, and by the same token I think we could place them in Atraughin just as easily.

@Jeff
Do you remember which Dragon Annual they appeared in? Would it be in the CD Archive (I can check when I get home, but don't have them on hand at the moment), or was it printed after #250?
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Post by AuldDragon »

Chimpman wrote:Do you remember which Dragon Annual they appeared in? Would it be in the CD Archive (I can check when I get home, but don't have them on hand at the moment), or was it printed after #250?
My memory is failing me; it was Dragon #241 (I was right that it was Campaign Classics, though!), and I could have sworn it had a section on Mystara, but it actually doesn't, sorry. :(

The article still has a lot of usable info though.

Jeff
Let's Play Old Games with AuldDragon (Youtube) | My 2nd Edition Blog
Monster Mythology Update Project | Spelljammer Livestream Campaign
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."

Khuzd
Troll

Post by Khuzd »

I finally crashed my high level PCs (with their alien spaceship) into the Hollow World cold North Pole.

I have some ideas to make them discover the hard, cold north areas of Iciria, with lots Muskoxtaurs, Yakfolk, white dragons, ice giants, brutemen, beastmen, wereseals, polar werebears (high level, using PC4 Night Howlers), a complete Antalian city made of Devil Swines, the heroes taking control of most Antalian cities and their Antalian fleet being the one depicted in "Into the Maelstrom" (the Master level module).

I explain all of it here: "Into the Maelstrom" with an spaceship?
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3210&p=56417#p56417

As I have decided to bring all these into the HW (with the muskoxtaurs and yakfolk) I thought I should also explain it briefly in this post.

I'm still thinking about the new great-evil-guy! This PCs were created directly as high level last autumn, so players do not have "old foes". It should be a native of HW...

Or perhaps very high level Heldannic colonizers?

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

The image seems to have disappeared from the site in the original link, but I think it was this one?

Muskoxtaurs are fast becoming one of my favorite races in the Hollow World.

Are there rules for using them as PCs yet? :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “Hollow World”