Thonian Blackshirts

For the world is hollow, and I have touched the sky.
The Book-House: Find Hollow World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Havard, Thorf

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Thonian Blackshirts

Post by Havard »

BACKGROUND
In BC 3500, a group of Thonian Right Winged Political Extremists embarked on a search for a world beneath the planet's surface. Using powerful mechanical digging machines they made their way into the Hollow World. The believed this was a place where they would find the resources to rid the world of the "liberal and multicultural" Blackmoorians. Sadly, the journey through the Vulcanic segments of the World Shield damaged their vehicles. They entered the Hollow World in the arctic region and got stuck in the ice. Now, centuries later, the ice around some of the vehicles have begun to melt, awakening the Thonian Blackshirt Soldiers after all this time. Because of the Spell of Preservation, they managed to survive the centuries of cold sleep.

WHAT'S THIS?
The Hollow World is a very pulpy concept and what's more pulp than nazis? You can't really have nazis on Mystara, but I figured some Thonian Extremists could fill the same niche.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Re: Thonian Blackshirts

Post by RobJN »

Havard wrote: WHAT'S THIS?
The Hollow World is a very pulpy concept and what's more pulp than nazis? You can't really have nazis on Mystara, but I figured some Thonian Extremists could fill the same niche.

-Havard
How frustrating will that be, trying to take over the Hollow World when the Spell of Preservation won't let them? ;)
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman »

Havard wrote:BACKGROUND
You can't really have nazis on Mystara, but I figured some Thonian Extremists could fill the same niche.
Well.... In theory if you can have LaTerrans on Mystara, then why not real life Nazis? ;) IIRC Venger was able to grab himself a few (or were they WWI era Germans? - can't remember) in that one episode of the D&D cartoon.

All kidding aside, I do like the idea, and using the Blackshirts would allow us to involve a Blackmoorian technological level that is unparalleled in Modern Mystara. This would at least give us some contrast amongst other similar groups operating in the current era (Hattians and HKs specifically). I'm kind of envisioning the Mystaran equivalent of Marvel's Hydra - using a mix of magic and technology.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Chimpman wrote:
Havard wrote:BACKGROUND
You can't really have nazis on Mystara, but I figured some Thonian Extremists could fill the same niche.
Well.... In theory if you can have LaTerrans on Mystara, then why not real life Nazis? ;) IIRC Venger was able to grab himself a few (or were they WWI era Germans? - can't remember) in that one episode of the D&D cartoon.
That is a possibility! We did broach the subject of time travelling LaTerrans in the discussion about Pickman in the TR forum. Most LaTerrans do seem to come from the "contemporary" period of that world though.

Were there really nazis in the D&D cartoon? I need to re-watch those episodes.
All kidding aside, I do like the idea, and using the Blackshirts would allow us to involve a Blackmoorian technological level that is unparalleled in Modern Mystara. This would at least give us some contrast amongst other similar groups operating in the current era (Hattians and HKs specifically). I'm kind of envisioning the Mystaran equivalent of Marvel's Hydra - using a mix of magic and technology.
I love the comparison to Hydra! In fact that also lets us remove ourselves a little from the R/W parallels which are sometimes tedious. I could see the Hattians be interested in the Blackshirts if they should ever meet.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman »

Havard wrote:Were there really nazis in the D&D cartoon? I need to re-watch those episodes.
Now that I've said that I'm not so sure anymore. The episode I was thinking about was the one where Venger opens up a time portal and pulls back weapons from throughout history - I think there was a focus on airplanes. Time to put Google to use... ahh, here it is:
Episode 23 The Time Lost
Venger's got a new idea for eliminating his annoying young enemies, and uses his Crystal of Chronos to pull both a futuristic plane and a WWII German Luftwaffe pilot who crash lands his Stuka dive bomber into the Realm. Venger intends to send the pilot, Josef Müller, back to Earth to win the war for Germany and, by changing Earth's timeline, prevent the Kids from ever coming into the realm. But after meeting the kids, Josef has other plans.
Havard wrote:I love the comparison to Hydra! In fact that also lets us remove ourselves a little from the R/W parallels which are sometimes tedious. I could see the Hattians be interested in the Blackshirts if they should ever meet.
If you're running a HW campaign, then I could definitely see the Blackshirts and the HKs either cooperating or competing with one another. In fact... it might even be a band of HKs who actually finds the Blackshirts buried in the ice and inadvertently frees them. Perhaps the HKs go looking for a ship downed in the arctic region of the HW and instead find the ancient Blackshirt expedition.

EDIT:
That brings up another interesting question. Vanya would obviously fit well as an immortal for such a group, but she wouldn't have been around back in their time. What immortals (if any) would the Blackshirts have worshiped? Would those immortals still be active on Mystara, and if not could the Blackshirts try and reestablish their worship?
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Chimpman wrote:
Episode 23 The Time Lost
Venger's got a new idea for eliminating his annoying young enemies, and uses his Crystal of Chronos to pull both a futuristic plane and a WWII German Luftwaffe pilot who crash lands his Stuka dive bomber into the Realm. Venger intends to send the pilot, Josef Müller, back to Earth to win the war for Germany and, by changing Earth's timeline, prevent the Kids from ever coming into the realm. But after meeting the kids, Josef has other plans.
OMG, how cheesy! :lol:
Dave Arneson actually ran adventures where he sat his Blackmoor players up against both German Nazis and WWII Japanese at various points in his campaign. I wonder if that is where the cartoon director got the idea for that story from?

Havard wrote:I love the comparison to Hydra! In fact that also lets us remove ourselves a little from the R/W parallels which are sometimes tedious. I could see the Hattians be interested in the Blackshirts if they should ever meet.
If you're running a HW campaign, then I could definitely see the Blackshirts and the HKs either cooperating or competing with one another. In fact... it might even be a band of HKs who actually finds the Blackshirts buried in the ice and inadvertently frees them. Perhaps the HKs go looking for a ship downed in the arctic region of the HW and instead find the ancient Blackshirt expedition.
Indeed! The Heldanners might be very interested in the Blackshirts. Didnt we bring up in another thread the idea that Thyatians and Hattians could be directly descended from Thonians?
EDIT:
That brings up another interesting question. Vanya would obviously fit well as an immortal for such a group, but she wouldn't have been around back in their time. What immortals (if any) would the Blackshirts have worshiped? Would those immortals still be active on Mystara, and if not could the Blackshirts try and reestablish their worship?

Good question:
Some possible candidates (Blackmoor Era name in paranthesis):

Arik (Volketh) - He is a bit overused already so Im not really sure.
Thanatos - Always a good candidate, but again maybe overused?
Hel (Hella) - Better IMO. There is also the nordic link which would work for Nazi-types...
Zugzul - Possible, although the Afridhi are a sort of opposition to Thonian Society.
Chamber/Watchworks - This Dragon God is possibly the predecessor of the Pearl Dragon. Is he still around? IMC he was trapped somewhere below Belissaria during the GRoF...
Stodos (Br'Brr't) - Master of the Temple of the Frog. Another good candidate.
Cretia (Calelrin) - Too chaotic maybe.
Demogorgon - Another possibility.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog »

I'm really liking this idea. I could see "M-Hydra" establishing its base - a massive fortress brimming with towers and many strange lights - in the polar regions. Every so often a set of massive steel doors opens to let in or out skidoos and other vehicles (and occasionally dog sleds). The ones entering the facility are carrying specimens (some alive and struggling).

But what goes on in there?

How about this:

The Blackshirts (the Ebony Order?) want to take over the HW, but they are finding the natives unusually resistant to their efforts at "education". One of their scientists (obviously mad) has come up with the idea of snuffing out the Red Sun to force the natives to recognise the Thonians as gods.

Naturally, the HW will become dark and cold (just how cold and dark, they haven't figured out yet - details, details...), so a special army of creatures that can survive a cold, dark environment will be needed to beat everyone down. Thus, the Thonians are kidnapping Beastmen, Antalians, Icevale Elves, and others, studying their DNA to determine what qualities will produce the super-warriors they need. They're also kidnapping intelligent-looking locals to figure out who's who, and which nations would be most ripe for conquering. Once the HW is pummeled into submission, the Thonians plan to turn the lights back on and reign as gods, forever! (insert laughter)

If you're going to create pulp Nazis, their plans have to be of a ludicrous scale, but at the same time they need enough abilities and resources to make it possible that they just *might* manage to do it.
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!

hyrieus
Bugbear

Post by hyrieus »

I always thought the the Schattenalfen were in some way the Hollow World Nazis.

You could also bring in the Burrowers, they're very Lovcraftian and remind me of the sorts of Nazism you find in the comic Hellboy. Of course there's Wastoure too ,maybe he finds the frozen Thonians at the behest of a Burrower and thaws or revives them, possibly they then become undead Thonian warriors.

Or maybe the Schattenalfen find their tech in a cavern they tunnel into, recalling legends of ancient Evergrun they try to re-technify their society. Something like that :)

Return to “Hollow World”