[Tomb of Annhilation] Tortle Package

The next iteration of the Dungeons & Dragons game.
The Book-House: Find 5th Edition products.

Moderators: Idabrius, Blacky the Blackball

[Tomb of Annhilation] Tortle Package

Postby Havard » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:42 pm

As the Tomb of Annhilation has now been released, the DMsGuild expansion known as the Tortle Package has also been made available.

The Sage Advice Website revealed the following:
Sage Advince wrote:The Snout of Omgar is a geographical region described briefly in Tomb of Annihilation.

Not much is revealed about the location or its inhabitants in that adventure, however. The Tortle Package is written for Dungeon Masters who want to know more about the Snout of Omgar.

This supplement also introduces a new playable character race, the tortle, and a new adventure location: Dangwaru, the Typhoon Palace. All of this is permissible for play within the D&D Adventurers League.

All proceeds from this product are to be contributed to ExtraLife. You can head to the D&D page on Extra Life to find out more.]
The Snout of Omgar is a geographical region described briefly in Tomb of Annihilation.

Not much is revealed about the location or its inhabitants in that adventure, however. The Tortle Package is written for Dungeon Masters who want to know more about the Snout of Omgar.

This supplement also introduces a new playable character race, the tortle, and a new adventure location: Dangwaru, the Typhoon Palace. All of this is permissible for play within the D&D Adventurers League.

All proceeds from this product are to be contributed to ExtraLife. You can head to the D&D page on Extra Life to find out more.

For those wishing to use Tomb of Annhilation with Mystara, this should be even more useful. It would be nice if the package acknowledged the origin of Tortles from BECMI/Mystara, but I am not holding my hopes up for that.

Is anyone here considering picking up this package? Would you allow Tortle PCs in your campaigns? :)

GET THE TORTLE PACKAGE HERE (9.99$)

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [Tomb of Annhilation] Tortle Package

Postby Havard » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:56 pm

People are already talking about Tortle Monks (Or Tortle Mystics as they were known on Mystara's Savage Coast, back in the BECMI days) and how these would work under 5E rules:

Jeremy Crawford wrote:
How does Tortle nat armor and Unarmored Defence (monk or barbarian) work? 17+(con or wis)? 10+dex+(c or w)? 10+(c or w)?
If you have Natural Armor & Unarmored Defense, choose 1 to use. You don't use both. See SA Compendium for more: http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downl ... endium.pdf

Source: https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/sta ... 8029435904

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby zontoxira » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:01 pm

If this is permissible in AL, does it make it canon? It looks like official WotC book to me, so I guess Tortles are the new race on the block.
Have a look at my Dark Sun Reconstruction Project at Homebrewery or Dark Sun 5e files at Google Drive
---
Cager extraordinaire, at your service!
---
"There are no saints in the animal kingdom. Only breakfast, and dinner." - Lorne Malvo
zontoxira
Hobgoblin

Postby CommanderCrud » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:20 pm

They have 30' movement? That doesn't seem right at all.
CommanderCrud
Orc

Postby Coronoides » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:52 pm

zontoxira wrote:If this is permissible in AL, does it make it canon? It looks like official WotC book to me, so I guess Tortles are the new race on the block.

Written by WOTC's D&D team (only), published by WOTC, AL legal. They are more canon than aarocokra or winged tieflings.
Last edited by Coronoides on Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? Check out my mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: https://rpggeek.com/filepage/120857/rev ... system-opt and excel sheet https://rpggeek.com/filepage/120858/exc ... on-article
Coronoides
Gnoll

Postby Mortis » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:27 am

Also in the tortle package are stats for the decapus, geonid, and topi.

<edit>Along with a note that the Creature Catalog provided inspiration and text for the article.
Mortis
Hill Giant

Postby Havard » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:28 pm

Mortis wrote:Also in the tortle package are stats for the decapus, geonid, and topi.

<edit>Along with a note that the Creature Catalog provided inspiration and text for the article.

NICE!

Mystara Lives ;)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Havard » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:18 am

How many of you have gotten this so far? Overall opinions?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Zeromaru X » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:06 pm

I got it for the race. I don't care for the place or the adventure, as I play either Nentir Vale or Blackmoor—or Neverwinter if playing in FR.

No player has used tortles yet, but at the very least I like the concept to the point I'm trying to convert the race to 4e. :P
Zeromaru X
The Elder Wizard

Postby Dread Delgath » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:45 am

I won't be getting it, but for slightly different reasons; my players aren't interested in the new playable races in Volo's Guide to Monsters, so I'm confident that they'll have zer0 interest in playing Tortles.

I remember a turtle-like race in Voyage of the Princess Ark from old Dragon mag, and IIRC those are the Tortles we speak of now? Jim Holloway did the art for them way back when. I almost/kinda liked the art that described them back then, but I really do not like the art used to describe them now. This may be solely on my love for Jim Holloway's art, no matter what he does. I always find it entertaining at the least, and almost always amusing to study. :cool:
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.
Dread Delgath
Frost Giant

Location: Thankfully, NOT where the swirl starts when you flush the country.

Postby Coronoides » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:59 am

Got it.
I had a childhood obsession with turtles and tortoises, so there’s that.
I really wanted the Tortle so I could feed the information on natural AC into my race design analysis (see my signature). This information will be included in the next edition due out in a month or two.
Having read the whole thing the adventure portions are very usable. I noticed I could port the adventure into my 5e Council of Wryms campaign I hope to run next year sometime (see thread in CoW forum).
I hope to play a Tortle sometime.
All in all I got my USD’s worth.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? Check out my mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: https://rpggeek.com/filepage/120857/rev ... system-opt and excel sheet https://rpggeek.com/filepage/120858/exc ... on-article
Coronoides
Gnoll

Return to D&D 5th Edition