[AD&D]What would have been the next SC supplement?

Discuss Mystara's Savage Coast / Red Steel setting here.
The Book-House: Find Savage Coast products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Havard, agathokles

Dave L
Storm Giant

temp

Post by Dave L » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:52 pm

Tim Beach wrote:BTW, there's a reason why I use the Savage Baronies art for my avatar -- I posed for it. The artist, Alan Pollack, gave me a stronger chin, but otherwise, it looks a lot like me (though I wear my hair in a ponytail most of the time now).
Wow - that's really cool, being able to point to a finished product and say "hey, that's me!" :)
Tim Beach wrote:I don't have a problem with fans running with some of this material. Feel free to ask questions. I'm actually thinking of scraping off the serial numbers and publishing a version of Black Steel.
You do realise what you've let yourself in for, don't you? :)

I have to say, I really love the idea of "The Grand Campaign" - it's something I always felt was lacking, a clear idea of how to go about removing the curse, and now of course I understand why it was lacking.

Eric Anondson
Ogre

Re: [AD&D]What would have been the next SC supplement?

Post by Eric Anondson » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:52 pm

Dave L wrote:I have to say, I really love the idea of "The Grand Campaign" - it's something I always felt was lacking, a clear idea of how to go about removing the curse, and now of course I understand why it was lacking.
I agree. Based on TSR's history with Dark Sun, there is a potential problem with this sort of campaign. Dark Sun's first novel line overturned so much of the central appeal of the setting that many fans were turned off. [Are there spoiler tags on this forum? I could use some right now, ;) ]

The Grand Campaign would likely have to be something like a final product for the line if the result is curing the Red Curse, depending on what the effects of the cure are on the "ecosystem" of the Curse that produces red steel, <-- name of the darned setting! :shock:
I have resumed my Flanaess cartography project. Visit my deviantArt gallery to visit my collection of Geryhawk maps. http://admundfortgeographer.deviantart.com/

Tim Beach
Orc

Post by Tim Beach » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:08 am

From Thorf:
Greetings and welcome to the community, Tim! It's wonderful to have you here.

I'm really enjoying hearing about your original plans for Red Steel/Savage Coast. It's inspiring hearing about what might have been, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if some of us end up making (or at least outlining) some of the things you're talking about.

So please feel free to share as many details as you can remember! :D

Also, very interesting story about your avatar. I've been researching the background to various pieces of Mystara art, and details like that are impossible to get except from those who were there at the time. Thanks!
Thanks for the welcome -- it's nice to find a fan community. I'm happy to be here.

I'd be pleased to see some development on the original plans. I have a few piles of notes -- one advantage to moving while it was still, basically, in development. I also have two Savage Coast adventures I wrote for the RPGA -- and it looks like I was revising characters for a third one. I'll see what I can find.

As for art ... I'll tell you what I can about the pieces in the Red Steel and Savage Baronies boxed sets. Something I thought was interesting: Randy Post's art portfolio really wowed us. When we were reviewing the pieces, I remember Paul Jaquays looking at the stipple (the tiny dots that Randy used for texture) and commenting "I didn't know they made pens that small." I probably still have the original art order. What kind of info are you looking for?

Tim

Tim Beach
Orc

Post by Tim Beach » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:23 am

From Eric Anondson:
A product I always saw as worthy for the region was a book collecting all of the various colonies, maybe in something of an adventure anthology/adventure sites product. Villaverde, Texieras, Lawful Brotherhood, and Renardy were getting in on the colonizing/exploration/outpost action. Spotlighting the major colonies along the coast, outposts along the Arm of the Immortals and Yalu Bay, and maybe expeditions to Davania's coast. :)
I may have proposed a supplement something like that ... free cities, or colonies, or something. I've long liked the idea of a sourcebook to describe several small settings, kind of a collection of hometowns. The "Village of Hommlet" was very influential in my first gaming group (I started as a DM) -- I like the idea of giving players several of that type of village, each with a small adventuring site nearby, a place for them to come from, or to get together as an adventuring party.

Tim

[Moderator's note: as requested, I've split the Black Steel discussion to this thread.]

mktriton
Orc

Post by mktriton » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:27 am

what about the Tortle Tribal homelands and the Free City of Richmond, It would be interesting to see what how the Tortles fit in with the Red Steel campaign.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:36 pm

mktriton wrote:what about the Tortle Tribal homelands and the Free City of Richmond, It would be interesting to see what how the Tortles fit in with the Red Steel campaign.
The Tortles of Purple Sage adventure from Dungeon has more information that could be used to further develop this concept. Also, there was the planned Tortle article by Bruce...

Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “Savage Coast”