[Robrenn] Druidic Constructs

Discuss Mystara's Savage Coast / Red Steel setting here.
The Book-House: Find Savage Coast products.

Moderators: Havard, Seer of Yhog, agathokles

Havard
Dragon Turtle

[Robrenn] Druidic Constructs

Post by Havard » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:25 pm

I noticed in 3rd Edition that some Constructs were noted to be of Druidic origin. In the Iron Kingdoms (Privateer Press), I believe Druids can create gigantic constructs to protect their woodlands. What do you think about the Druids of Robrenn being able to create such constructs and how would you handle them in BECMI and other editions?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Re: [Robrenn] Druidic Constructs

Post by agathokles » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:02 am

The Great Druid of the Savage Coast resides in Robrenn, so magical power is not an issue. There might be thematic issues, though -- there are no Druidic constructs in the Savage Coast or other Mystaran sources, AFAIK.

GP

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:59 am

As far as I know there was something called a Nature Elemental.
A sort of amalgam of elemental matter of the Prime Plane created solely from natural magic and power(source; unknown but could be Construct, Immortal, The living planet's magic, or merged elementals with the 5!! elements, or something literally unknown on Mystara).
Here the AD&D2 statistics;http://www.lomion.de/cmm/elemnatu.php
My conversion into Mystara D&D statistics

Nature Elemental.
[color=#008000]Sphere:[/color]|[color=#008000]Prime Plane[/color] Status:| [color=#008000]Exalted[/color] [color=#008000]Power Points:[/color]|[color=#008000]1000[/color] [color=#008000]Climate/Terrain:[/color]|[color=#008000] Forest, Jungle, Woods, or similar natural land[/color] [color=#408000]Frequency:[/color]| [color=#008000]Very rare[/color] [color=#008000]Organization:[/color]| [color=#008000]Solitary[/color] [color=#008000]Activity Cycle:[/color]| [color=#008000]Any[/color] [color=#008000]Diet:[/color]| [color=#008000]none or Unknown(probably natural energies including natural magic, planetary magic, suns/stars, combined)[/color] [color=#008000]Abilities[/color]| [color=#008000]Strength 25!!(+6), Intelligence:8-10, Wisdom 13-18, Dexterity 16-18, Constitution 25!!(+6), Charisma 10-21[/color] [color=#008000]Treasure:[/color]|[color=#008000] Nil[/color] [color=#008000]Alignment:[/color]| [color=#008000]100% Neutral non-good, non-evil[/color] [color=#008000]No. Appearing:[/color]| [color=#008000]1[/color] [color=#008000]Armor Class:[/color]| [color=#008000]0[/color] [color=#008000]Armor Value:[/color]| [color=#008000]6[/color] [color=#008000]Movement:[/color]|[color=#008000]120'/40' wading in water 60'/20' unhindered in forest, bush[/color] [color=#008000]Hit Dice:[/color]|[color=#008000]18d12!!*****[/color] [color=#008000]THAC0:[/color]|[color=#008000]5 (adjusted by Strength =-1) as having a negative THAC0, higher AC add the AC to the damage. [/color] [color=#008000]No. of Attacks:[/color]| [color=#008000]2 slams[/color] [color=#008000]Damage/Attack:[/color]| [color=#008000]4d10+6/4d10+6[/color] [color=#008000]Special Attacks:[/color]| [color=#008000]Nil--or animate 7 trees as Treant[/color] [color=#008000]Special Defenses:[/color]| [color=#008000]Extreme Regeneration(100% in 1r), immune to protection from evil(and alike), Fear Aura 50 yards., immune to plant attacks, animals will not attack it either[/color] [color=#008000]Magic Resistance:[/color]|[color=#008000]Nil[/color] [color=#008000]Save as:[/color]| [color=#008000]IF18[/color] [color=#008000]Size:[/color]| [color=#008000]G (35’+(1 foot/3hp))[/color] [color=#008000]Morale:[/color]| [color=#008000]Fearless (12)[/color] [color=#008000]XP Value[/color]:| [color=#008000]7750 (0PP)[/color]
The creature normally does NOT attack animals, Silicon-based lifoms (Geonid, Rockmen, etc) or plant-like lifeforms (Treant, Vampire Rose, Big Snapper Funghi, etc), but these tend to flee upon its approach (as fast as they can).
As all signs of civilization are fully removed, I think the creature must have access to some magical powers (on or through a natural base/method) to be able to do this; at will each round, in a distance of 300 yards at most
1 sort of Disintegrate (used on brick/Stone structures to break it apart into loose stones or Bricks, Ceramics, into sand/clay.
2 Oxidise/Rot on metal items,),
3 structures and items of natural origine would be just be dismantled, spread around, and absorbed by the new growth, and affected by it(rot, regrowth, funghi, etc),
4 Move Plants/Funghi,
5 Move Earth, to cover what could not be destroyed, like large stone structures in a single piece, like statues),
6 Rise/lower Water, if needed to alter water levels back to before civilization altered it...on a permanent level (never above 30 cm below ground)
7 Fertility and Growth of Plants/Funghi, to cover the area
8 Summon animals (probably done just before dispersing self).To reinstate natural life.All kinds of befitting animals are summoned in near perfect ecological amounts

This spell is all I could find as being the ultimate summon for druids
Conjure Nature Elemental Dismiss Nature Elemental
Range: | 100 yds. Duration: | Special or 24 hrs. Casting Time: | 1 turn Area of Effect: | 1 mile Components; | Burning incense, soft clay, sulfur, phosphorus, water, sand, and a duly consecrated holy symbol. Saving Throw: | None Clerics/Druids of Mother Nature Level: |7
Upon the casting of this spell, the caster opens a direct link with the Outer Plane Chauntea and a portion of its essence forms a nature elemental from the uncivilized and Uncultivated portions of the caster’s current surroundings. A caster of 16th level or less must make a saving throw vs. breath weapon. If the saving throw fails, the caster provides the spirit to form of the elemental’s essence (it is composed of earth, air, fire, water, and spirit) and departs the Prime Material Plane when the elemental disperses at the end of the spell’s duration. The caster is then dead, but his/her body remains intact (it is, oddly, not restructured like the environment) and can be raised or resurrected. If the save is succesful, the spirit comes from another source (The Planet?, Elemental spirit?, from Limbo?, supplird my Mother Earth?,,,i.e. Immortal essenmce, Avatar, or else?).
Casters must be above 17th level to inscribe this spell onto a scroll, and then only someone who is in touch with nature (druids, nature clerics above 5th level) can read the scroll. When reading from a scroll, a caster does not need to make a saving throw. Nature elementals are summoned to return the spell‘s area of effect to an uncultivated state. All signs of civilization and all humans or humanoids within the area of effect are obliterated. The only people immune to the elemental’s fury are the caster and up to 10 people per the caster’s level within a 100-yard-radius who are designated upon casting the spell. The elemental disperses into its environmental components when a 1-mile radius is renovated or after 24 hours, whichever occurs first. Unlike other elementals, nature elementals cannot be controlled. Their duties and the area in which they are to perform them are set at their summoning. If the area a nature elemental is summoned into is free of signs of civilization, the creature disperses. Nature elementals are not affected by protection from evil spells and like magics that hold extra planar creatures at bay.

The reverse of this spell, dismiss nature elemental, disperses a summoned nature elemental.
http://media-dominaria.cursecdn.com/att ... 347109.jpg
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/

stanles
Hill Giant

Post by stanles » Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:17 pm

The juggernaut, to me, seems like it could be a bastardisation by Hulean wizards of a basically druidic process. I can easily imagine that local Hulean druids create constructs out of natural elements and that when the Master subjugated them.
Visit the Vaults of Pandius http://pandius.com, the official website for the Dungeons and Dragons setting of Mystara.

Submissions to the Vaults can be made directly to webmaster@pandius.com

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:52 pm

It could indeed well be that the Juggernaut was created by the Huleans in an attempt to battle the Nature Elemental...Although if I look at the stats of both the Elemental will still win...:P
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/

The Dark
Troll

Post by The Dark » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:07 am

I think I would use the Guardian Juggernauts from Jakandor: Island of War. They're 30' tall wood, stone, or wicker fabrications that can be animated using a Create Guardian spell (Clr4, cast time 1 hour, duration 1 day) to permit the spirit of a warrior to inhabit the statue. They use the warrior's stats with the following changes:
Hit points: +3d10 wicker, +5d10 wood, +7d10 stone
Initiative: +0 wicker, -1 wood, -5 stone
Movement: 15 for all, but wood and wicker must spend 5 to turn up to 120 degrees, stone must spend 7.5 to turn up to 120 degrees
THAC0: -2 bonus for wood or stone, -1 bonus for wicker

Juggernauts can be armed and armored by having the "helmsman" wear equipment when the Create Guardian spell is cast, then place the equipment in special cavities in the juggernaut and wear and wield wooden effigies normally stored in the juggernaut. This will allow the juggernaut to benefit from weapons, armor, or magical items, along with the following improvements:
Damage: Helmsman's normal damage (including any Str bonus) +1d6 for wicker, +2d6 for wood, +3d6 for stone
Armor Class: Helmsman's normal AC improved by 1 point for wicker or 2 points for wood or stone
Wicker juggernauts must incorporate a Ring of Fire Resistance. They are set alight when animated. A victim struck by a wicker juggernaut is considered to have been hit by flaming oil, and takes damage on subsequent rounds accordingly.

Juggernauts cannot use magic items that affect movement, nor can it use potions, books, ropes, bags, or any item that's more complicated than pointing and saying a command word. Only a number of items that could be used simultaneously can be carried by a juggernaut (so, for example, it could "carry" a sword and a shield, but not a pike and a shield, nor a sword and dagger and shield). Spellcasters functioning as helmsmen cannot cast spells through the juggernaut, with the exception of a wicker juggernaut, which can cast spells that do not have a range of Touch or 0 and that do not affect the helmsman or juggernaut.

For each level of the helmsman, 1 point may be added to AC, THAC0, a specific saving throw, hit points, damage, or initiative, to a maximum of 5 points in any specific category. For mental effects, a juggernaut saves as its helmsman, while for physical effects, wicker saves as thin wood, wood as thick wood, and stone as metal. 10% of all damage (rounded down) dealt to a juggernaut is inflicted on the helmsman instead (so a juggernaut struck for 16 damage will take 15 damage and inflict 1 damage on its helmsman).

The helmsman effectively sees through the eyes of the juggernaut, so spell effects will vary. Spells that drain life have no effect (the juggernaut is not alive), spells that harm it indirectly (such as stone shape or warp wood) interfere with it but do not harm the helmsman, while color spray or light may be effective if the save is failed.

Attackers may target the items stored in a juggernaut with a called shot at -4 (-6 for wicker juggernauts). If they hit, the item must save vs. crushing blow or be knocked out of the juggernaut and no longer usable.

Specific juggernauts listed in Jakandor:
The Wolf Morash - wood juggernaut helmed by a 5th-level fighter with Hide Armor +1, a shield, and a Long Sword +1: AC 2, Mv 15, HP 50 (pilot 22), AT 1, THAC0 12, Dmg 1d8+2d6+3, -1 Init
The Wind Tarola - stone juggernaut helmed by a 7th-level fighter with Chain Armor, a shield, and a Footman's Mace +1: AC 2, Mv 15, HP 91 (pilot 40), AT 1, THAC0 11, Dmg 4d6+2, -5 Init
The Harvet Halon - wicker juggernaut helmed by a 5th-level wizard with a Wand of Fire: AC 5, Mv 15, HP 27 (pilot 12), AT 1, THAC0 19, Dmg 1d2+1d6, able to use effects of Wand of Fire at will without draining charges from wand (note: the 1d2 damage is punch damage, based on the helmsman not placing a weapon in the wicker juggernaut)

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:04 am

They don't seem to count as constructs, but magically augmented animals instead (maybe?) but there are the Wynzets from the Red Steel Monstrous Compendium.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:53 pm

agathokles wrote:The Great Druid of the Savage Coast resides in Robrenn, so magical power is not an issue. There might be thematic issues, though -- there are no Druidic constructs in the Savage Coast or other Mystaran sources, AFAIK.

Constructs aren't really listed as Druidic, Arcane etc, but any spellcaster of sufficient power can create Constructs. So giving constructs some unique features based on what class created them seems like a cool idea.

I would sort of guess that Druids don't want to create Constructs that include metal parts. I think Wood and Mud Golems might be druidic favorites. Rock statues could also work.

I'd love to have a gigantic Wicker Man type construct using the stats of Meks.
stanles wrote:The juggernaut, to me, seems like it could be a bastardisation by Hulean wizards of a basically druidic process. I can easily imagine that local Hulean druids create constructs out of natural elements and that when the Master subjugated them.
That is a really cool idea too. I like the idea of Hulean wizards basically being twisted druids in general. Druidic Juggernauts would work. Maybe a Juggernaut resembling a gigantic celtic war chariot?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

stanles
Hill Giant

Post by stanles » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:45 am

Havard wrote:
stanles wrote:The juggernaut, to me, seems like it could be a bastardisation by Hulean wizards of a basically druidic process. I can easily imagine that local Hulean druids create constructs out of natural elements and that when the Master subjugated them.
That is a really cool idea too. I like the idea of Hulean wizards basically being twisted druids in general. Druidic Juggernauts would work. Maybe a Juggernaut resembling a gigantic celtic war chariot?
Nice idea Havard
Visit the Vaults of Pandius http://pandius.com, the official website for the Dungeons and Dragons setting of Mystara.

Submissions to the Vaults can be made directly to webmaster@pandius.com

Return to “Savage Coast”