Historical eras on the Savage Coast

Discuss Mystara's Savage Coast / Red Steel setting here.
The Book-House: Find Savage Coast products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Havard, agathokles

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Historical eras on the Savage Coast

Post by Havard » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:49 pm

We have had alot of discussions on the Nithian Era, Taymora, the Shimmering Lands etc. All of these would probably be interesting historical eras to set a campaign in. Which eras of the history of the Savage Coast could be interesting to use as starting points for a campaign?

Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Re: Historical eras on the Savage Coast

Post by agathokles » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:16 pm

Havard wrote:We have had alot of discussions on the Nithian Era, Taymora, the Shimmering Lands etc. All of these would probably be interesting historical eras to set a campaign in. Which eras of the history of the Savage Coast could be interesting to use as starting points for a campaign?
Besides the two default options (post-Wrath and 1000 AC/VotPA), the two colonization times (the Traladaran colonization and the Thyatian colonization) are interesting times. Myself, I've played once in the Traladaran colonization era.

GP

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:59 am

SB timeline wrote:BC 1300
Goblinoid hordes decimate elven and Oltec civilization. Those Humans and Elves who remain fall to a savage, semi-nomadic existence.
#pg 18 book 1 approximate dates

BC 700
Nithians arrive on the Savage Coast. They interbreed somewhat with Oltecs. Elves of the eastern coast establish settlements in and around what will eventually become Torreon and Narvaez.
#pg 18 book 1 approximate dates
Either of these two periods seem pretty interesting to me. I've been pondering for a while setting up a campaign in a world in which the goblinoids have "won". The standard races have been killed off (mostly) or gone into hiding. The technology needed to keep an advanced society running vanishes as most people have to stay on the move to keep one step ahead of the goblins. Agriculture wains, and hunting is sparse (due to the rapaciousness of the viler races now dominating the land). 1300 BC in the Savage Baronies seems like it fits the bill pretty well.

700 BC has a kind of "Nithians exploring the New World" vibe about it that also might be kind of fun. Have to think about that one a little bit more.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:39 am

I'd agree with the settlement period, particularly the first Red Steel Rush period (whenever that may have occurred). The time leading up to the Tampicos Treaty seems like it would be a very lively and interesting era on the Savage Coast as well.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Andaire
Stone Giant

Post by Andaire » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:18 am

If you think of the larger SC area, other periods are interesting. The rise of Hule and Hosadus, the migration of the people of Yav, pre- and post-GRoF Azcans and Oltecs, ...
Information Wants To Be Free
Hervé Musseau http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1223372668

Wilhelm
Hobgoblin

Post by Wilhelm » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:22 pm

Indeed, there are many interesting periods. For a historical version of X6 and X9, I loke to use 790 AC (791 AC is, according to CoM, the year when Tanakumba was founded) and 525 AC, respectively. As GP said, the traladaran migration is very interesting as well (BTW this one is my favorite for introducing new players to the SC "setting", especially those who only know Karameikos (K:KoA was the only mystaran book translated into portuguese); They're already used to traladarans and thyatians, and already know the names of some neighbouring nations, such as Minrothad and Darokin, and 450 AC brings a lot of these elements; plus, the SC political situation is quite simple compared to modern times), and the same is true for the thyatian (ispan) migration (RS/SB timeline of the ispan migration is quite detailed, it could easily be used for a historical campaign of this period).
Christian Constantin articles about the hulian history also helps a lot for an historical hulian campaign (or a Brotherhood (especially LB, I guess) historical campaign).

Return to “Savage Coast”