Lifting the Curse?

Discuss Mystara's Savage Coast / Red Steel setting here.
The Book-House: Find Savage Coast products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Havard, agathokles

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Lifting the Curse?

Post by Havard » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:42 pm

Should the Red Curse ever be lifted? Wouldn't that ruin the setting? What would be other alternatives to removing this element from the campaign?

Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Andaire
Stone Giant

Re: Lifting the Curse?

Post by Andaire » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:20 pm

I don't think it would ruin the setting, as the Red Curse is only one element among others (the baronies, the animal kingdoms, the spanish/portuguese theme and far west, the guns, etc), especially since it could mean moving into an age of colonization.
Yes, we would lose the curse, legacies, inheritors - but they probably could all remain, except rarer, and new elements could be added, especially increased contact with the rest of the world.
Information Wants To Be Free
Hervé Musseau http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1223372668

Eric Anondson
Ogre

Post by Eric Anondson » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:36 am

I think lifting the curse is appropriate, but as a campaign finale.

Myself, I explored the idea of expanding the cursed lands beyond the coast. Either deeper inland and to lands around the sea.
I have resumed my Flanaess cartography project. Visit my deviantArt gallery to visit my collection of Geryhawk maps. http://admundfortgeographer.deviantart.com/

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:17 pm

Andaire wrote:I don't think it would ruin the setting, as the Red Curse is only one element among others (the baronies, the animal kingdoms, the spanish/portuguese theme and far west, the guns, etc), especially since it could mean moving into an age of colonization.
I have been thinking about the Age of Colonization/Exploration for some time now. Could be an interesting concept, not just for the Savage Coast...
Yes, we would lose the curse, legacies, inheritors - but they probably could all remain, except rarer, and new elements could be added, especially increased contact with the rest of the world.
I would actually like to see the legacies remain and perhaps even become available world wide, but perhaps their nature would be changed so that they would no longer be seen as a curse, but as a blessing given to a select few...

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Andaire
Stone Giant

Post by Andaire » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:24 am

Havard wrote:I have been thinking about the Age of Colonization/Exploration for some time now. Could be an interesting concept, not just for the Savage Coast...
Yes, there is also the exploration of Alphatia (VotPA), exploration and colonization by Thyatis (notably the Hinterlands), the Heldannic Knights (Davania, Norwold), the discovery of the HW, etc.
On Geoff's map of Davania (recently remade by Thorf), the extent of outside powers' influence can clearly be seen: Hinterlands, Vanya's Rest, several Milenian cities have also been conquered (or will be, depending on the year) by the HK, Schweidnitz, and sereval colonies by SC nations.
Information Wants To Be Free
Hervé Musseau http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1223372668

mktriton
Orc

Post by mktriton » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:58 am

Lifting the red curse? The red curse is a mystery from what i read of the red steel books involving Wallara and the Aranea. From what i read, the Nithian Created Cinabryll to create Red Steel, and found a way to grow it. However, the intelligent Wallara were persecuted by the Aranea, and the lands were later cursed by the Wallara's Patron The Great One of the Dragonic Immortals. Lifting the curse would involve something of Immortal Level, might involve Lifting the curse of the Wallara caused by Herath, possibly it's destruction.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:36 pm

It is definately the goal of a most epic quest. IMO, a plot element like this should never be removed without something else taking its place, or it would make the setting poorer. OTOH, it should be possible to change any element in a setting, since that belief is what makes players keep trying. It would be unfair to decide up front that they would never be able to succeed...

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “Savage Coast”