Basic SC question

Discuss Mystara's Savage Coast / Red Steel setting here.
The Book-House: Find Savage Coast products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Havard, agathokles

CmdrCorsiken
Stone Giant

Basic SC question

Post by CmdrCorsiken » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:00 pm

When reading various other discussions about this region, I often get confused by conflicting information and the conversations about that information. So, I have a fundamental question.

Am I correct in thinking that there are two dramatically different presentations of this area in official publications?
My hat's off to the 'freaks.' Whenever I see their post counts, I feel like a go-cart at the Indy 500.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Re: Basic SC question

Post by Cthulhudrew » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:22 pm

CmdrCorsiken wrote:Am I correct in thinking that there are two dramatically different presentations of this area in official publications?
I wouldn't call them dramatically different, but they are different.

There are actually three different versions:

1) The "original" Savage Coast: As presented by Merle and Jackie Rasmussen in module X9: The Savage Coast. Here, the Savage Coast is a relatively unexplored "New World" to the west of the Known World. It is inhabited only by nomadic tribes of humans, lupins, and rakasta (as well as the usual monsters). There are also a few scattered outposts of traders and missionaries- notably the Lawful Brotherhood.

2) Voyage of the Princess Ark era Savage Coast: When Bruce began writing this series, he eventually had Haldemar's crew encounter the Savage Coast region. Rather than present what he viewed as a rather bland virgin territory, he instead decided to populate it with a variety of cultures in a manner similar to what the Known World had- ie, cultures based on real world cultures, from various time periods. He also introduced the concepts of Cinnabryl, Seed of Cinnabar, and Red Steel. Seed of Cinnabar was a poison that resided in the earth of the region, and was responsible both for the reddish skin coloration of the people living there, as well as causing a reduction in their mental faculties if left untreated, thus leading to the more brutal natures of the people that lent the "Savage" coast its name (basically like metal poisoning, but not fatal to natives). Cinnabryl was a naturally occurring metallic ore in the earth that had the property of absorbing the seed of cinnabar in contaminated people, thus restoring their mental faculties, and as such was a prized metal in the region (more valuable than gold, silver, etc.). The quest for Cinnabryl was much like the gold hunts that led to the colonization of the New World by the imperial powers, not to mention the Gold Rush of the USA. Red Steel was cinnabryl that had been depleted of its curative properties, but was still workable as a metal that was stronger and lighter than steel.

One other notable element of this version of the setting was that seed of cinnabar could be distilled to an alchemical concoction known as Essence of Cinnabar. Essence of Cinnabar could then be used to provide the user with certain supernatural powers, in increasing strengths with each dose consumed (at high risk- draining 1 point of Constitution each time).

3) Red Steel: This was the third, and most recent, iteration of the Savage Coast, as presented by Tim Beach (primarily). His work was based on Bruce Heard's Voyage of the Princess Ark work, though it made some slight alterations. The history of Seed of Cinnabar was expanded upon, and the concept of the Red Curse was introduced. The timeline was also forwarded to post-Wrath of the Immortals. At this time, the Red Curse had altered so that now everyone potentially had powers in the region of the Savage Coast. If they didn't use cinnabryl to stop it, their powers would manifest- along with bizarre physical mutations (extra eyes, limbs, scales, etc.).

That's the gist of it, at any rate. There are some more differences in 2 and 3 but I've never completely made it through the Red Steel stuff (primarily due to not owning a hard copy; I hate reading screen text overmuch).
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Andaire
Stone Giant

Post by Andaire » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:33 am

Cthulhudrew wrote:[
1) The "original" Savage Coast: As presented by Merle and Jackie Rasmussen in module X9: The Savage Coast. Here, the Savage Coast is a relatively unexplored "New World" to the west of the Known World. It is inhabited only by nomadic tribes of humans, lupins, and rakasta (as well as the usual monsters). There are also a few scattered outposts of traders and missionaries- notably the Lawful Brotherhood.
X6 also falls in this category.
X4/X5/X10 also does, to some extent: while it introduces Hule, it gives (imo) a rather backwater view of it (eg the "desert nomads" label) and the surrounding region.
Both Yavdlom (X6) and Hule (X4/5/10) are located at the outskirt of the SC, though; X9 is the one that covered the SC region proper.
Information Wants To Be Free
Hervé Musseau http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1223372668

CmdrCorsiken
Stone Giant

Post by CmdrCorsiken » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:17 pm

X9 is indeed the only SC source that I actually own. Although, I'm working on getting the Dragon mags that explored SC later.

So, what do most of you do with the difference between the different presentations? I gather that most set the X9 information at some point in the past with the VotPA as present. I'm not entirely sure where I would stand on this. I guess I will decide after reading through the mags and then rereading X9.
My hat's off to the 'freaks.' Whenever I see their post counts, I feel like a go-cart at the Indy 500.

Tim Beach
Orc

Post by Tim Beach » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:34 pm

CmdrCorsiken wrote:X9 is indeed the only SC source that I actually own. Although, I'm working on getting the Dragon mags that explored SC later.

So, what do most of you do with the difference between the different presentations? I gather that most set the X9 information at some point in the past with the VotPA as present. I'm not entirely sure where I would stand on this. I guess I will decide after reading through the mags and then rereading X9.
The release timeline (X9 then VotPA then Red Steel) is echoed by the in-game timeline: X9 (and other X-series adventures) a while back, VotPA in the recent past just before Wrath of the Immortals, and Red Steel just after WotI, in the "present."

And, by the way, you can download text files of the Red Steel version at http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/downloads
for free. These files are slightly updated from the print versions, which are available physically in a few places or in PDF form through sites like RPGNow.com. (A quick check showed the PDFs at $4.95 each for Red Steel and Savage Baronies. It doesn't make a difference to me, by the way -- I own no part of any version -- but the interior art is pretty good, I think.)

Tim Beach

CmdrCorsiken
Stone Giant

Post by CmdrCorsiken » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:23 pm

I have a version of Savage Coast that may have come from Wizards website. The cover has the following text/titles:
Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Odyssey
Savage Coast
Campaign Book
It has a copyright of 1996.

This is the 'Red Steel' version, right?

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:42 pm

CmdrCorsiken wrote:I have a version of Savage Coast that may have come from Wizards website. The cover has the following text/titles:
Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Odyssey
Savage Coast
Campaign Book
It has a copyright of 1996.

This is the 'Red Steel' version, right?
Yeah, that is the revised version of Red Steel which Tim was talking about. However, that is just one of multiple books available as free downloads. Quoting Agathokles from an older thread:
agathokles wrote:
Havard wrote:I assume everyone has these? :)
Probably. However, note that the Vaults of Pandius host much more beautiful versions of those files:
Savage Coast, book 1
Savage Coast, book 2
Savage Coast, book 3
Savage Coast MCA
Orc's Head, book 1
Orc's Head, book 2
I recommend getting these versions of the SC books.

Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Tim Beach
Orc

Post by Tim Beach » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:47 pm

Those are nice versions! I didn't know about them until I saw the post yesterday.

I'm having trouble downloading part 1 of Orc's Head, though. :(

Tim

maddog
Frost Giant

Post by maddog » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:24 am

Tim Beach wrote:I'm having trouble downloading part 1 of Orc's Head, though. :(
It DL-ed for me. Remember to stroke your internets and speak softly to them. They like that.
--Ray.
---
Hey! I just became a frost giant!
My Moderator voice is in Green.
Moderator of Dragonlance forum.

Gawain_VIII
Storm Giant

Post by Gawain_VIII » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:35 pm

Cthulhudrew wrote:
CmdrCorsiken wrote:Am I correct in thinking that there are two dramatically different presentations of this area in official publications?
I wouldn't call them dramatically different, but they are different.

There are actually three different versions:
<snip>
Thank you, Andrew. That is probably the most concise and most understandable explanation of the differences I've ever heard. Much appreciated.

Roger
"Time does not heal all things--only swift and decisive action does." --Roger LaVern Girtman, II, 17 April 2010
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Classic Campaigns, my Mystara fansite
Moderator of The Piazza's Mystara and M3e Project forums.

Return to “Savage Coast”