Savage Coast Undersea

Discuss Mystara's Savage Coast / Red Steel setting here.
The Book-House: Find Savage Coast products.

Moderators: Havard, Seer of Yhog, agathokles

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Savage Coast Undersea

Post by Havard » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:16 pm

Agathokles brought up the Sea Hermits in this thread in the main Mystara forum:
Havard wrote:
agathokles wrote:Check the Sea Hermit entry in the Savage Coast Monstrous Compendium Appendix for some info on deep sea nations.
Sturm wrote:Good find! It seems they could be located in the seas below the Savage Coast, but some could live in the Sea Kingdoms as well, as we do not have any canon info on the latter.
Seconding Sturm's sentiment. This is a great find! Sea Hermits are indeed not limited to the Savage Coast seas. They are also linked to Jorries and Echyans. I dont think any of these are exclusively linked to the Savage Coast. Are there other sea related creatures there as well? Has anyone compiled a list of all BECMI water based or undersea creatures and races?
Taking this back to the Savage Coast. How much is known about the Undersea near the Savage Coast? How does it differ from say the Sunlit Sea by the Known World? How many of the PC3 Sea People races would you use in such a campaign?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Re: Savage Coast Undersea

Post by Cthulhudrew » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:15 am

There are some other sea creatures listed in the Savage Coast Monstrous Compendium, but other than that, I don't believe much has been said at all about what lies beneath the seas of the region (which is admittedly a large swath of area). Most of them, like the Jorri, seem to be more coastal creatures, and not deep sea denizens. Only the Sea Hermit and possibly the Omm-Was might be more active in an "undersea" sort of setting (the latter are air breathers, but tend to large underwater gardens, so they couldn't stray too far from the surface in general).

It might be kind of cool to imagine some variant Aranea that were like diving bell spiders near the Herathian coasts, or "sea manscorpions" (perhaps an evolutionary ancestor of the land-dwelling manscorpions, that are Eurypterid-like?)
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:19 am

Cthulhudrew wrote:There are some other sea creatures listed in the Savage Coast Monstrous Compendium, but other than that, I don't believe much has been said at all about what lies beneath the seas of the region (which is admittedly a large swath of area). Most of them, like the Jorri, seem to be more coastal creatures, and not deep sea denizens. Only the Sea Hermit and possibly the Omm-Was might be more active in an "undersea" sort of setting (the latter are air breathers, but tend to large underwater gardens, so they couldn't stray too far from the surface in general).
Good point. Coastal creatures might interract with an undersea type setting but would not be directly a part of it. I do think the Omm-Wa could fit into both a coastal and undersea type campaign. I like the concept of their sea plant farms. I wonder if any of the plants they farm could have magical effects or other interesting properties?
  • Bactarines: These are river based, but could there be deep water versions as well?
  • Echyan: Definitely in both types, but purely as a monster
  • Sea Glutton: As Echyan above
  • Heraldic Servant: the Dolphin, Sea Horse and Sea Lion Servants could exist in both settings.
  • Kla'tah: These large and highly intelligent turtle creatures could easily exist in an undersea campaign
  • Shimmerfish: Yes
  • Plant: No, but it could be interesting to imagine sea plant variants of some of these?

It might be kind of cool to imagine some variant Aranea that were like diving bell spiders near the Herathian coasts, or "sea manscorpions" (perhaps an evolutionary ancestor of the land-dwelling manscorpions, that are Eurypterid-like?)
I love these ideas! I think it could be interesting to imagine an Undersea setting with a somewhat Savage Coast inspired atmosphere.

What PC3 races would be appropriate in the seas near the Savage Coast?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:14 pm

Other ideas for Underwater creatures:

Unicorn Seahorse
Nightmare Seahorse
Blink Dolphin
Displacer Shark
Stirge fish
Aquatic Centaur
Chimeric Orca
Cockatrice Shark
Nereid: Use stats for Dryad, but underwater
Gargoyle, Ship Figurehead
Medusa, Aquatic
Spectral Ray: As Spectral Hound, but in the shape of a Manta Ray

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:36 pm

Havard wrote:Aquatic Centaur
As far as aquatic centaurs go, the Nuckalavee is kind of an (evil) aquatic centaur. That said, the idea of a half-man/half-seahorse is kind of a cool idea, although I'm not sure how much different it would be than a Merman or Triton, except for its appearance.
Nereid: Use stats for Dryad, but underwater
That's a good one.
Medusa, Aquatic
That would be interesting. The planar medusa is an Earth creature, presumably because of its affinity to stone (turning people into statues); would an Aquatic Medusa still turn people into stone, or ice?
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:01 am

In RW, a medusa is merely a jellyfish :-)
GP

Return to “Savage Coast”