Savage Coast + C&C

Discuss Mystara's Savage Coast / Red Steel setting here.
The Book-House: Find Savage Coast products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Havard, agathokles

Saunatonttu
Ogre

Savage Coast + C&C

Post by Saunatonttu » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:35 pm

So after migrating mostly to playing Castles & Crusades with my crew of merry drunkards, I've been pondering revisiting my mishmash "setting" of everything piratey & swashbucklery that naturally includes the Savage Coast. Not even properly started these ponderings yet, but I was thinking of the two "big" rules for the setting in need of converting to the C&C system. Dueling and Legacies.

I'm not going to waste my time with the legacies yet (mostly cause the game generally revolves around Freeport and not the Legacy Regions), that's a headache for another day. But I'm sitting at work, wasting time and pondering the dueling schools and special moves. Some things are easy to keep pretty much as they are, stealing passes when seeing them is a simple SIEGE check vs. int, I reckon, but actually learning the moves makes me wonder because C&C doesn't have a system for (Non)Weapon Proficiencies that are spent to learn the moves in AD&D version. When I last talked this with people someone told me that Yggsburgh by Gygax had a secondary skill system where you could buy skills by expending Experience Points - sounds very reasonable. So what I am proposing is two things - an actual duelist class (a fighterish guy with lighter armour restriction, weapons suitable for swashbucklers, etc) with FREE special moves every now and then (and possibly some version of swashbuckler kit's pananche stuff)) and this guy would be the only class who could start with special moves, even fighters need to learn them during game and then the buying of moves with XP. Could be reasonable...

I'm at a loss on how to balance the XP costs. I gathered that Gygax's system had three types of skills with cost of 3000/5000/8000 EXP and I reckon some sort of rising cost for each level of moves upward from basic passes should be in orderhere too, but I have no idea how costly the special moves should be. Any suggestions and comments would be greatly appreciated before I go into completely wrong and unbalanced direction.

Or any other ideas for that matter. ;)
Surfing's the Source, man...

agathokles
Red Dragon

Re: Savage Coast + C&C

Post by agathokles » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:02 pm

Uhm, C&C is a simplified d20, isn't it? Then you might have a look at the Book of Nine Swords of 3e -- it might be easier to adapt.
Otherwise, you might look at dueling schools as a sort of Secret Craft, and use that kind of progression -- now that I think of it, it could be a good way to convert secret passes to OD&D as well...

GP

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:57 am

How is your campaign going Sauna? :)

Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:59 pm

agathokles wrote:Uhm, C&C is a simplified d20, isn't it? Then you might have a look at the Book of Nine Swords of 3e -- it might be easier to adapt.
Otherwise, you might look at dueling schools as a sort of Secret Craft, and use that kind of progression -- now that I think of it, it could be a good way to convert secret passes to OD&D as well...
Maybe if the 3e fans convert Savage Coast to 3e rules, the C&C fans can piggy back off of a lot of their work.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Return to “Savage Coast”