Mira's Savage Coast Game

Discuss Mystara's Savage Coast / Red Steel setting here.
The Book-House: Find Savage Coast products.

Moderators: Havard, Seer of Yhog, agathokles

Kythkyn
Gnoll

Mira's Savage Coast Game

Post by Kythkyn » Thu May 31, 2018 8:33 pm

Howdy! So, not too long ago I was in a gameshop a city over, on an epic quest to find AD&D books to kind of fill out the modest collection I had accumulated prior to 2000. I wanted to kind of get back to some of the games I used to play when I was younger, and I have current friends who never had the joy of playing AD&D. Well, I was in this shop and lo and behold I found both of these:
ImageImage
They were both in near mint, the CDs not even out of their cellophane! And they were cover price! How could I even dream of passing them up?! Red Steel was always one of those campaign settings I thought was really cool, but just never got to play when it was in publication. Now I own these, and I have players ready to go! So, poking around the internet, as one does, I came across this forum, and I figured where else would I get any excitement? Like, all of the Facebook D&D groups are full of people who don't even know what an AD&D is (not that that's a bad thing, just that I spend more time explaining why I'm excited, haha). I digress. Anyway, I also would like a forum where none of my players will find me, so I can chat about the GMing side and share all that fun.

Okay! So, here is the blog I am going to do campaign journaling on. The kind of open journaling that one does, when journaling. So far, the party looks like a human honourbound fighter, a tortle inheritor war cleric, a rakasta swashbuckler bard and an elf beastrider fighter. They're going to start in Estoque, the town in Saragón, and the first several adventures are going to build up to Divided We Fall. I am going to set The Jade Hare adventure in Estoque, and am going to weave the lore into the setting a bit. The villagers in Estoque are going to be insular people of majorly Ylari descent, and they believe the Jade Hare has a power similar to the Barrier Mask, which leads Balazar to send Abu-Ghabar and some Gosluk goblins to steal it. I am going to pepper in NPCs from Divided We Fall in well before that adventure starts, so as to create some bonds with the party and get them personally invested.

I am also going to sort of go backwards from what the campaign book suggests, the Savage Coast is going to be the base campaign, but I am going to use information from other AD&D boxed sets I own as well. Specifically Lands of Intrigue and Menzoberranzan. But I am going to adapt the Forgotten Realms information to the Savage Coast / Mystara instead. But we'll cross that bridge if and when we come to it.

Anyway, I'm hoping to start the campaign this weekend!
Gaming Blog | Twitter | Discord
MAYBE YOU RUIN CHOCOLATE!

agathokles
Red Dragon

Re: Mira's Savage Coast Game

Post by agathokles » Thu May 31, 2018 8:39 pm

Very interesting! Always good to see a new Savage Coast campaign.

GP

thorr-kan
Ogre

Post by thorr-kan » Thu May 31, 2018 11:05 pm

Good luck.

NPCDave
Stone Giant

Post by NPCDave » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:44 am

Very cool. If you aren't aware of it, you can go to the following site

www.pandius.com

and download the Orc's Head Peninsula campaign book and the Savage Coast Campaign Book pdfs for free. The Savage Coast campaign book has all the text you have in those Red Steel box sets, it is only missing the maps, CDs and the monster manual entries. The monster manual entries can be downloaded from the same site in the Savage Coast Monstrous Compendium. There are a few extra things in the Savage Coast campaign book that didn't show up in the Red Steel box sets, like the panache rules, the Howling Dragon firearm, and a missing kit or two.

Kythkyn
Gnoll

Post by Kythkyn » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:37 am

NPCDave wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:44 am
Very cool. If you aren't aware of it, you can go to the following site

www.pandius.com

and download the Orc's Head Peninsula campaign book and the Savage Coast Campaign Book pdfs for free. The Savage Coast campaign book has all the text you have in those Red Steel box sets, it is only missing the maps, CDs and the monster manual entries. The monster manual entries can be downloaded from the same site in the Savage Coast Monstrous Compendium. There are a few extra things in the Savage Coast campaign book that didn't show up in the Red Steel box sets, like the panache rules, the Howling Dragon firearm, and a missing kit or two.
Thanks! Ironically, I found this forum from that site! I have been plundering it so I could pass along information to my PCs without giving certain things away

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:32 am

Hi and welcome, if you are not yet aware of it, the Mystara community is also producing a fanzine called Threshold: http://pandius.com/thrs_mag.html
And recently number 18 was about the Savage Coast: http://pandius.com/Threshold_18.pdf

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:53 pm

Good luck with your game, Kythkyn/Mira!
Kythkyn wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 8:33 pm
They were both in near mint, the CDs not even out of their cellophane! And they were cover price!
It sounds like these were genuine as they were at the original cover price, but there are actually a few numpties out there who are putting second hand books into non-original shrinkwrap, in order to try to get people to pay higher prices. (I can imagine more of that happening after DMs Guild puts some of the uber-rare D&D products onto Print on Demand and con-artists try to trick people into thinking that PoD copies are originals.)
Kythkyn wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 8:33 pm
Okay! So, here is the blog I am going to do campaign journaling on.
I love the name of your blog! You are a genius! :lol:
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:37 pm

It's always great to hear about someone playing in the Savage Coast. Good luck with your campaign! :D

I would highly recommend reading The Black Vessel novel if you can find it, as it does a great job of portraying the setting, and it also introduces some rather cool characters who you can co-opt for your campaign.

The following links may be of use to you:

http://mystara.thorfmaps.com/tag/savage-coast/
http://www.thorfmaps.com/savage-coast-trail-map/

Kythkyn
Gnoll

Post by Kythkyn » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:31 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:53 pm
It sounds like these were genuine as they were at the original cover price, but there are actually a few numpties out there who are putting second hand books into non-original shrinkwrap, in order to try to get people to pay higher prices. (I can imagine more of that happening after DMs Guild puts some of the uber-rare D&D products onto Print on Demand and con-artists try to trick people into thinking that PoD copies are originals.)
I want to be like who would do such a thing?! But yeah, I can see some people trying that. There's this game store a city over that is almost lost in time. Aside from the fact that the guy who runs it has never been rude or dismissive to us girl type, the place is exactly what is called to mind from the old days. Like, dank, basementy, no natural light. And he has a tonne of old D&D and WotC books, as well as a smattering of all kinds of different books from the 80s and 90s. He's got recent stuff, too, but there were some real gems. They're mine now, though :twisted:
I love the name of your blog! You are a genius! :lol:
Everybody knows grells don't play games :lol: (Thank you!)
Thorf wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:37 pm
It's always great to hear about someone playing in the Savage Coast. Good luck with your campaign! :D

The following links may be of use to you:
Thank you! So far, so good. We started last night and are going to play more through the weekend.

The maps are useful. I found that site while looking for things for the Savage Coast a few weeks back, and have it book marked!

Kythkyn
Gnoll

Post by Kythkyn » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:19 am

Check out the first adventure recap here!

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:55 am

Wow, this sounds like a lot of fun. I'm impressed at how you handled the move of the Jade Hare to the Savage Coast — that sort of thing has never come easily to me. You did a great job of merging it in with the setting and adding breadcrumbs to your next adventure.

Kythkyn
Gnoll

Post by Kythkyn » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:07 pm

Thanks! It was actually kind of fun to adapt the adventure to fit the setting, so much so that I am doing it again this weekend with the Shattered Circle! And if there is one thing I really enjoy as a GM, it's breadcrumbs. I think the look on my players' faces when something is revealed is one of the best parts (the other being when I elicit genuine emotions. I have made so many players cry. Not in a bad way, though, I swear!)

Kythkyn
Gnoll

Post by Kythkyn » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:00 pm

So! After an unfortunate nearly two month hiatus (I hate adulting!) we're back on track with my Red Steel game!

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:04 pm

Until today I knew nothing if this setting. I read the wiki page and was surprised to find out that many of my ideas for a 4E campaign I ran when that edition came out are similar to the Red Steel infused magic and mutated beings, etc... seems like everything under the D&D sun has been done at least once if not twice or more !

I'll be reading your campaign log from now on.
Currently playing : (player in) Cubicle 7 Adventurers in Middle-Earth
Preparing : Coriolis, Smugglers of the Horizon campaign / Rise of the Kinori, a Modern AGE campaign
Reading : Modern AGE

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:24 pm

Kythkyn wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:07 pm
Thanks! It was actually kind of fun to adapt the adventure to fit the setting, so much so that I am doing it again this weekend with the Shattered Circle! And if there is one thing I really enjoy as a GM, it's breadcrumbs. I think the look on my players' faces when something is revealed is one of the best parts (the other being when I elicit genuine emotions. I have made so many players cry. Not in a bad way, though, I swear!)
I'd be interested in hearing more about how you adapted Shattered Circle to the Savage Coast :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Kythkyn
Gnoll

Post by Kythkyn » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:40 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:04 pm
Until today I knew nothing if this setting. I read the wiki page and was surprised to find out that many of my ideas for a 4E campaign I ran when that edition came out are similar to the Red Steel infused magic and mutated beings, etc... seems like everything under the D&D sun has been done at least once if not twice or more !

I'll be reading your campaign log from now on.
It's a really neat setting! I like it a lot, and my players have been enjoying the way it feels different from, but is still clearly, D&D.

And awesome! :D
Havard wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:24 pm
I'd be interested in hearing more about how you adapted Shattered Circle to the Savage Coast :)
I'll update the blog and be sure to share as soon as we play through it all!

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:54 am

shesheyan wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:04 pm
There have been some fairly unusual ideas put into D&D since way back before I used to play it.

I worked out a while ago, that it's actually logistically impossible for me to read and study every D&D product to find the most interesting but obscure ideas, but that I could find a number of experts to talk to (hopefully more than one expert for each niche area) and learn enough about the different product lines that D&D has had to decide if I should try to hunt down products and mine them for ideas.

Game diaries like this are pretty cool, because they are the second best thing to actually being invited into a game to play and learn. (And for me, they are a better way to learn about a setting I know very little about, because I don't have to worry about any newbie questions I have slowing down the flow of a game in progress.)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Kythkyn
Gnoll

Post by Kythkyn » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:28 am

Campaign update!

Return to “Savage Coast”