[5E] Red Curse as a Race?

Discuss Mystara's Savage Coast / Red Steel setting here.
The Book-House: Find Savage Coast products.

Moderators: Havard, Seer of Yhog, agathokles

Havard
Dragon Turtle

[5E] Red Curse as a Race?

Post by Havard » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:48 am

I just heard how Dragonmarks in Eberron is handled sort of as human subraces. Could this be a way to handle the Red Curse/Legacies as well? The downside is that all races can be afflicted by the Curse.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Re: [5E] Red Curse as a Race?

Post by RobJN » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:33 am

I think I would go the "feat" route with Legacies
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:32 pm

I'm not sure I follow what you mean by "red curse as a race" here (but I'm also unfamiliar with how 5E Eberron changed the Dragonmarks, as well). Do you mean that those afflicted by the Red Curse would be treated as a completely separate race in and of themselves? IE, human, elf, dwarf, cursed? Or human, human/cursed, dwarf/dwarf cursed, etc.?

How would that work for Eberron, anyway? In the original Eberron, Dragonmarks weren't confined just to humanity either (in fact, as I recall, each Dragonmark had a particular affinity for a different race that it featured most prominently among, albeit it wasn't exclusively confined to them. So while one might be most notable among half-orcs, you might find gnomes or humans with it, too.) Sounds like they may have made some major alterations for them to fit into 5E.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:46 pm

Feats would be the most obvious way to handle this. The downside with that is that Feats are optional in 5E and personally I don't use them.
Cthulhudrew wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:32 pm
I'm not sure I follow what you mean by "red curse as a race" here (but I'm also unfamiliar with how 5E Eberron changed the Dragonmarks, as well). Do you mean that those afflicted by the Red Curse would be treated as a completely separate race in and of themselves? IE, human, elf, dwarf, cursed? Or human, human/cursed, dwarf/dwarf cursed, etc.?
Well, I am talking in terms of game mecahnics.

So you would have to select among the following subraces:
Human, Red Curse
Elf, Red Curse
Half-Elf, Red Curse
Dwarf, Red Curse

etc...

Then the Legacy would count as a race ability for that race.
How would that work for Eberron, anyway? In the original Eberron, Dragonmarks weren't confined just to humanity either (in fact, as I recall, each Dragonmark had a particular affinity for a different race that it featured most prominently among, albeit it wasn't exclusively confined to them. So while one might be most notable among half-orcs, you might find gnomes or humans with it, too.) Sounds like they may have made some major alterations for them to fit into 5E.
I don't own the Eberron stuff so I don't really know the specifics. Maybe some Eberron experts know more? :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “Savage Coast”