[5E] Red Curse as a Race?

Discuss Mystara's Savage Coast / Red Steel setting here.
The Book-House: Find Savage Coast products.

Moderators: Havard, Seer of Yhog, agathokles

Havard
Dragon Turtle

[5E] Red Curse as a Race?

Post by Havard » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:48 am

I just heard how Dragonmarks in Eberron is handled sort of as human subraces. Could this be a way to handle the Red Curse/Legacies as well? The downside is that all races can be afflicted by the Curse.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Re: [5E] Red Curse as a Race?

Post by RobJN » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:33 am

I think I would go the "feat" route with Legacies
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:32 pm

I'm not sure I follow what you mean by "red curse as a race" here (but I'm also unfamiliar with how 5E Eberron changed the Dragonmarks, as well). Do you mean that those afflicted by the Red Curse would be treated as a completely separate race in and of themselves? IE, human, elf, dwarf, cursed? Or human, human/cursed, dwarf/dwarf cursed, etc.?

How would that work for Eberron, anyway? In the original Eberron, Dragonmarks weren't confined just to humanity either (in fact, as I recall, each Dragonmark had a particular affinity for a different race that it featured most prominently among, albeit it wasn't exclusively confined to them. So while one might be most notable among half-orcs, you might find gnomes or humans with it, too.) Sounds like they may have made some major alterations for them to fit into 5E.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:46 pm

Feats would be the most obvious way to handle this. The downside with that is that Feats are optional in 5E and personally I don't use them.
Cthulhudrew wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:32 pm
I'm not sure I follow what you mean by "red curse as a race" here (but I'm also unfamiliar with how 5E Eberron changed the Dragonmarks, as well). Do you mean that those afflicted by the Red Curse would be treated as a completely separate race in and of themselves? IE, human, elf, dwarf, cursed? Or human, human/cursed, dwarf/dwarf cursed, etc.?
Well, I am talking in terms of game mecahnics.

So you would have to select among the following subraces:
Human, Red Curse
Elf, Red Curse
Half-Elf, Red Curse
Dwarf, Red Curse

etc...

Then the Legacy would count as a race ability for that race.
How would that work for Eberron, anyway? In the original Eberron, Dragonmarks weren't confined just to humanity either (in fact, as I recall, each Dragonmark had a particular affinity for a different race that it featured most prominently among, albeit it wasn't exclusively confined to them. So while one might be most notable among half-orcs, you might find gnomes or humans with it, too.) Sounds like they may have made some major alterations for them to fit into 5E.
I don't own the Eberron stuff so I don't really know the specifics. Maybe some Eberron experts know more? :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:50 pm

I think the thread's title ("Race") might be a little confusing, since we are actually talking about sub-races.

To the best of my knowledge there was a UA article detailing this: UA_Dragonmarks. There was also an older article in 2015 that detailed Dragonmarks as Feats: UA_Eberron_v1.

I'm not sure if they have codified any of this in official material.

For me, the one problematic thing about using sub-races for Dragonmarks, is that typically assigning a sub-race happens at character creation. If that is true, then you have to decide at character creation that your character has a dragonmark. Originally (in 3.5E), I believe that Dragonmarks were handled as Feats, and that they could manifest at any time. That meant your character might not start out with a dragonmark, but could manifest one at later levels.

To me this is still how Dragonmarks should work. I'd rather have the option of letting the story determine if a character manifests a Dragonmark, rather than needing to predetermine that fact before play begins. To that end Dragonmarks as Feats make the most sense to me, however other mechanics could apply. You could work up Dragonmarked as a "character class." That would force characters to multi-class if they wanted those abilities. I wouldn't necessarily make it a full character class. Perhaps it could be treated as a Skill, or as a sort of "built in attuned magic item". You'd just have to figure out the right way to balance it.

EDIT
... And ;) bringing it back on topic... both the Red Curse and Dragonmarks could manifest at some point after character creation, especially for characters entering the curse zone from faraway lands.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

Return to “Savage Coast”