Campaign Handout

Discuss Mystara's Savage Coast / Red Steel setting here.
The Book-House: Find Savage Coast products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Havard, agathokles

Argentmantle
Hill Giant

Campaign Handout

Post by Argentmantle » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:45 am

Well, since the cats out of the bag about working on some stuff for the Savage Coast...

Here's some of the layout and design... and content for my player's handout. I make the assumption no one in my group has played in Mystara or the Red Steel campaign settings, so I'm going a bit overboard.

I'll toss up more information and the like as soon as I get it set with InDesign.

Since its come up in threads... I'll endeavor to post my take on the 'new 5e' races and classes in Mystara.

Argentmantle
Hill Giant

Re: Campaign Handout

Post by Argentmantle » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:54 am

Existing Races
Some of the races from the Player’s Handbook are available in the Savage Coast with no real change. Some of the others had to be changed in one degree or another to fit into the lands of Cinnabryl and the Inheritors. One of the most important, and non-mechanical, changes to keep in mind is that the elves, dwarves, half-elves, and halflings do not have their own distinct nations or cultures within the region, having been integrated into the cultures of their nations. In fact, where these races are prevalent within nation, you can find some traditional elements of their cultures in the national culture. Often, an elf, dwarf, or halfling, may not know the traditional languages of their people, having just learned the national language of whichever state they hail from. A few races need to be considered on a case by case basis, as well, owing to their rarity or non-existence in the original setting. Luckily, the Savage Coast is home to several new races that help replace options that might be limited from the Player’s Handbook.
Dragonborn
The dragonborn, though fierce and powerful, these scions of draconic ancestry are not covered with any of the Savage Coast material. The Wallara are said to have descended from dragons and are covered in the preceding texts.

A good way to include the Dragonborn is to have them be another ‘failed’ experiment from laboratories of Herath. The mages of Herath have long since meddled in the creation of new and improved lizard kin. A very simple explanation is that the Dragonborn are another evolutionary step in the creation of a servantile race. Naturally, after stopping the last goblinoid invasion, they were discarded by the mages into the Bayou and left to fend for themselves. These Dragonborn would have a poor view of aranea and quite possibly the other races because of the shapechanging nature of the arachnid race.

As with the Tieflings below, Dragonborn could be a byproduct of the recent wars in the Known World. The Dragonborn could have been created in some Alphatian or Glantrian wizard’s lab or summoned from an entirely different realm.

Tieflings
The nefarious Tieflings with their fiendish bloodlines are not present in the original source material for Mystara, Red Steel, or the Savage Coast. However, the Known World and through it, the Savage Coast, are home to the Diabolii a race of extraplanar humanoids who sometimes interact with those on Mystara. The Diabolii and Known World native relations have been abysmal, not due to a lack of trying, but due to a terrible luck, less than stellar representatives of the races, and a bit of Immortal meddling. The abilities and description of neither race really seem to align, but with some hacking apart and retooling Tieflings could fit as some of the Diabolii colonists on Mystara.

A better explanation for Tieflings is the Wrath of the Immortals. Naturally, considering its alignment with the forces of Entropy, the Master of Hule might have summoned fiends, including Tieflings, to serve on the field of battle. In east, Alphatia, Glantri, and Thyatian nations all could have summoned these fiendish creatures, as well as other Feral Tieflings, Genasi, or even Aasimar, without any more reasoning than the summoned monsters used on the various battlefields.

After the end of the war, some of these tieflings would have been stranded on the plane. So tieflings might be known by adventurers throughout the Savage Coast, and are not an unexpected sight. Commoners might be less familiar with them, seeing them as a brand of Afflicted. In the Savage Coast, these tieflings might start showing up as they look for a home away from the chaos of the Known World or are discarded by the Huleans.

Anyways, its just a take on the matters and is not the right answer, it just works well enough for my past groups.

Argentmantle
Hill Giant

Post by Argentmantle » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:59 am

Well, here are the first 9 pages in a far easier to read version...

http://thousandcrowns.com/chapter1.pdf

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:10 pm

Wow! That looks amazing.

Savage Coast is not quite my thing, so I only know the general details. I think that's the sort of PDF that would help someone with my level of knowledge to work out what D&D options they need to consider (or ignore) when rolling up a PC.

Nice work!

How much other stuff do you think you are going to need to add to complete this?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Argentmantle
Hill Giant

Post by Argentmantle » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:15 pm

I've got about 70 pages so far... and figure it will weigh in at around 200... most of it harvested from the Savage Coast materials that were available off the WotC website a few years ago, added in some fan produced material (like Immortal descriptions from the Codex), and added my own content. I'm fleshing out Slagovich for a campaign that starts there.

Return to “Savage Coast”