Quick Question about a map

Discuss Mystara's Savage Coast / Red Steel setting here.
The Book-House: Find Savage Coast products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Havard, agathokles

Argentmantle
Hill Giant

Quick Question about a map

Post by Argentmantle » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:56 pm

I'm working on a couple of battle mats for my adventure in the next Threshold magazine issue and had a question.
The adventure is set in Slagovich, in the Haze of the Savage Coast. So I wanted to know if a battlemap with red was appreciated, like this:

Or a more plain battle map.

Its a fight in a dark alley, so it is purposefully darker than I would normally use.

Thoughts? Red? Not red? Too dark?

Khedrac
Ostego

Re: Quick Question about a map

Post by Khedrac » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:22 pm

To be honest I don't mind whether the map is red or not.

What I need in a map is readability - and for a battle-mat the same applies - if you cannot see where the objects are and the lines for the squares are, then it isn't usable.
It is up to the DM to determine what to mark on the map according to what the characters can see - but rememebr the characters are not the PCs - you say it is a "dark alley", but if all of the characters have darkvision (3.X) or infravision (pre-3.0) then the alley isnt really dark at all.

With 3.X D&D, combat is all about tactical positioning - and to support it one usually needs a clear grid for the battlemap (some DMs can run without, but is it really 3.X when they do?)

In short, the maps are too dark, but they also looks as if they will need a clearer grid even when lightened.
"If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it might just be a crow".

Argentmantle
Hill Giant

Post by Argentmantle » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:59 pm

So, something like this would work better?

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:44 am

Argentmantle wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:59 pm
So, something like this would work better?
All three of these are beautiful, but this one does seem more usable.

I quite liked the red tone, it was pretty awesome in the top part of that map (in the bit where the darkness was not competing with the colour of the floor).

I like that you have darkness at the left and right edges of the alley. That's a nice touch. And the rubble on the floor makes this stand out as a route that people don't take much.

Out of interest, what does the lighter line and the change in floor tiles at the southern end mean? Is that something like a step up onto a raised pavement?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Khedrac
Ostego

Post by Khedrac » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:17 pm

Yes - the later images are much clearer :)

I would also suggest extending the grid lines onto the roofs - someone will probably climb/jump/fly up there at some point.

Argentmantle
Hill Giant

Post by Argentmantle » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:46 pm

Alright... so.. I think with the feedback so far. Something like this:

And some other ones for interiors of a shop.

Khedrac
Ostego

Post by Khedrac » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:05 pm

The inside ones are great, though you might be better off making the walls centre on the grid lines rather than go against them (that's personal preference).

As for the latest outside one - that one is now as good or better than most I see commercially produced. :) That said, the NS lines rather vanish on the left-hand roof - you could try switching all the grid lines to white and see what happens - it might look terrible or it might work.

Return to “Savage Coast”