City-states' demonyms

Discuss Mystara's Savage Coast / Red Steel setting here.
The Book-House: Find Savage Coast products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Havard, agathokles

Andaire
Stone Giant

City-states' demonyms

Post by Andaire » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:11 pm

As I was reediting the MA1014, I came across something unusual (I hope): over the course of several almanacs, the adjective or demonym used for the city-state of Hojah is not consistent, sometime it is Hojahite and sometimes Hojahan.
For a lot of places, we don't have canon adjectives or demonyms, including I think for the city-states (though if someone can point me to a source...).
What do you think the adjective and the demonym should be for the city-states?
(for those wondering what I'm talking about: Spain, Spanish, Spaniard)
Information Wants To Be Free
Hervé Musseau http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1223372668

Gawain_VIII
Storm Giant

Re: City-states' demonyms

Post by Gawain_VIII » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:19 pm

Not having read the MNAs in quote a while, I'm not sure I noticed that. But, one reason for the -an/-ite confusion might be the difference between Asian and Oriental or Afghan and Afghani? An Asian man will weave an oriental rug whilst an Afghani woman will create Afghan pottery.

Or it may be an honest mistake that had been overlooked. Besides, Hojahan just looks weird... and is hard to pronounce--it would end up sounding like "Hojan"... which might very well be the proper word anyway considering that, at least in English, the "h" would have been dropped when a suffix is added.

But without reading it, and seeing how the two words are used, I'm basically just blowing air.

Roger
"Time does not heal all things--only swift and decisive action does." --Roger LaVern Girtman, II, 17 April 2010
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Classic Campaigns, my Mystara fansite
Moderator of The Piazza's Mystara and M3e Project forums.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Re: City-states' demonyms

Post by agathokles » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:29 pm

Andaire wrote:As I was reediting the MA1014, I came across something unusual (I hope): over the course of several almanacs, the adjective or demonym used for the city-state of Hojah is not consistent, sometime it is Hojahite and sometimes Hojahan.
For a lot of places, we don't have canon adjectives or demonyms, including I think for the city-states (though if someone can point me to a source...).
What do you think the adjective and the demonym should be for the city-states?
(for those wondering what I'm talking about: Spain, Spanish, Spaniard)
We've got canon ones in the Lupins article: Slagovici (Slagovich in "Common"), Nova Svogan and Zvornikski (Zvornikian).
There are no canon demonyms/adjectives for Hojah or Zagora, but I suppose Hojan and Zagoran should go.

GP

Return to “Savage Coast”