Info on Plaktur?

Discuss Mystara's Savage Coast / Red Steel setting here.
The Book-House: Find Savage Coast products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Havard, agathokles

Rimx
Goblin

Info on Plaktur?

Post by Rimx » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:31 am

Besides fan made materials is there any information on plaktur?

agathokles
Red Dragon

Re: Info on Plaktur?

Post by agathokles » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:24 pm

Rimx wrote:Besides fan made materials is there any information on plaktur?
Not that I can think of. This area is mostly unexplored in official material.

GP

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:39 pm

Uhm...where is this again?

Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:43 pm

Havard wrote:Uhm...where is this again?
In the Yazak Steppes area, north of the central Savage Coast and west of Hule.
You can find it in this map

GP

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:38 am

agathokles wrote:In the Yazak Steppes area, north of the central Savage Coast and west of Hule.
You can find it in this map
The map doesnt seem to work right now, but I guess I know more or less where you mean. Thanks!

An undeveloped region...interesting!

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:52 am

Havard wrote:The map doesnt seem to work right now, but I guess I know more or less where you mean. Thanks!

An undeveloped region...interesting!
It worked fine for me, but since you're giving me an excuse to toot my own horn...

It's the capital marked all on its own at the top, about a third of the way along from the left. You can actually just make it out even on the thumbnail.

I always wondered about this place too.

metal
Stone Giant

Post by metal » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:52 am

Thorf to the rescue with another quality map! :D

Thanks, I have never noticed it! :?
metal
Long live Mystara
"I'll fire aimlessly if you don't come out!"

Rimx
Goblin

Post by Rimx » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:18 am

A lot of fan material has Plaktur as the old homeland of the Myoshima rakasta before it was destroyed by goblinoids. I was thinking of tying it into the Dravya history I'm working on. On Pandius Bruce Heard mentions that the rakasta could have used gates to get to Myoshima. Dravya is known for it's teleportation gates.

On the thing lurking between the gates, perhaps (due to the nature of matera or the large number of evacuees) linking the gates to Myoshima created a rift to another plane, possibly the spirit world. Using the gate unleashed many spirits/yokai in both Myoshima and the Yazak steppes and drew the areas closer to the spirit world. The gates had to be sealed to prevent further invasion. Plaktur could be a city of spirits, something like the Land of Black Sands on smaller scale. Humanoids avoid the city considering the area cursed. Some humans who survived the destruction of Dravya could have sought refuge here, making some kind of deal with the spirts.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:06 pm

Rimx wrote:A lot of fan material has Plaktur as the old homeland of the Myoshima rakasta before it was destroyed by goblinoids. I was thinking of tying it into the Dravya history I'm working on. On Pandius Bruce Heard mentions that the rakasta could have used gates to get to Myoshima. Dravya is known for it's teleportation gates.

On the thing lurking between the gates, perhaps (due to the nature of matera or the large number of evacuees) linking the gates to Myoshima created a rift to another plane, possibly the spirit world. Using the gate unleashed many spirits/yokai in both Myoshima and the Yazak steppes and drew the areas closer to the spirit world. The gates had to be sealed to prevent further invasion. Plaktur could be a city of spirits, something like the Land of Black Sands on smaller scale. Humanoids avoid the city considering the area cursed. Some humans who survived the destruction of Dravya could have sought refuge here, making some kind of deal with the spirts.
Yes, that's a nice (and very likely) connection. I also agree with the idea of modern Plaktur being a cursed/dangerous area full of spirits.

GP

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:20 pm

Very nice map Thorf!

I find it interesting that Plaktur is marked as a capital though. Doesn't that indicate that there is more out there? I always thought that it was some sort of meeting place for the Goblinoid tribes of the north. On the other hand, I really like the idea of a city inhabited by spirits.

Perhaps the Goblinoids meet outside the city once a year to conduct their business?

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

JTrithen
Ogre

Post by JTrithen » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:26 am

I kind of like the tie-in about the rakasta, and more past history regarding them needs to be established (for the Myoshimans, anyway, I guess).

But I like that it could be meeting place for goblinoids, too.

Either way, it's called "Plaktur," so I guess we would be assuming the modern goblinoids (Hupkur/Huptai, and other nearby 'tribes' -- Kuttai
Dankut) would be calling it by it's more well-known name that it is generally known by in modern times -- whether it's a meeting place or a shunned spirit-inhabited city. It wouldn't be the original/ancient name given by the former rakasta inhabitants, I assume.

Are there any RW ethnological/linguistic derivations of those naming conventions, anyway? I looked at some of the notes in the Savage Coast Campaign book about the names of the goblinoid tribes, and it looks like these were attempts to have a 'made-up' humanoid language. But, are any of these names vaguely Russian, Mongol, Greek, or otherwise (I just did some general 'Googling,' and am not as astute about RW cultures as many of you on these boards)?

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:37 pm

JTrithen wrote: Are there any RW ethnological/linguistic derivations of those naming conventions, anyway? I looked at some of the notes in the Savage Coast Campaign book about the names of the goblinoid tribes, and it looks like these were attempts to have a 'made-up' humanoid language. But, are any of these names vaguely Russian, Mongol, Greek, or otherwise (I just did some general 'Googling,' and am not as astute about RW cultures as many of you on these boards)?
Only Yamag and Tabak, the two primary Yazak goblinoid deities, which are derived from Tubak and Yamuga from Ethengar point to the M-Mongol nature of these tribes (or at least at an interaction with the ancestors of the Ethengarians in ancient times).

GP

Return to “Savage Coast”