Forum icon

Discuss Mystara's Savage Coast / Red Steel setting here.
The Book-House: Find Savage Coast products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Havard, agathokles

which icon?

Image red steel
No votes
Image savage coast black background
No votes
Image savage cost transparent background
8%
Image Savage Coast new
92%

Total votes: 13

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Forum icon

Post by Ashtagon » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:37 am

vote on a new icon here.

If the icon changes, the forum would probably be renamed to "Savage Coast". That was my intention all along, I just didn't have an icon handy back then :?
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

agathokles
Red Dragon

Re: Forum icon

Post by agathokles » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:35 am

Ashtagon wrote:vote on a new icon here.

If the icon changes, the forum would probably be renamed to "Savage Coast". That was my intention all along, I just didn't have an icon handy back then :?
Yes, Savage Coast would be better -- Red Steel is just one incarnation of the setting.

GP

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:52 am

agathokles wrote:Yes, Savage Coast would be better -- Red Steel is just one incarnation of the setting.
I agree with your sentiment, but I prefer the Red Steel logo. The font used is Quorum Black, which is a very Mystaran font (familiar from the Rules Cyclopedia, Wrath of the Immortals), whereas the Savage Coast logo is just a standard serif font. Moreover, Red Steel is probably the logo most people are familiar with. Besides, the Savage Coast logo is also just one incarnation of the setting.

It's a shame there was never any logo from the Princess Ark series for the setting.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:26 am

Thorf wrote:Moreover, Red Steel is probably the logo most people are familiar with. Besides, the Savage Coast logo is also just one incarnation of the setting.
Actually, it's two: the old X9 setting and the online campaign book setting. So, the Savage Coast has been known as such from almost the beginning (Southold was the original name, but was never used beyond the Master Set map) to the present form.
And I'd argue that, since the online book is what is more immediately available, it is also what most people are familiar (or are likely to become familiar) with.

GP

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:48 am

agathokles wrote:Actually, it's two: the old X9 setting and the online campaign book setting. So, the Savage Coast has been known as such from almost the beginning (Southold was the original name, but was never used beyond the Master Set map) to the present form.
And I'd argue that, since the online book is what is more immediately available, it is also what most people are familiar (or are likely to become familiar) with.
I meant the logo, not the name "Savage Coast". I agree that "Savage Coast" is a better name for the setting, reflecting as you said two (or three if you include Princess Ark) eras. It's just the logo that I'm not very fond of. :|

You may be right about the online book, I'm not really sure. The fact that it's free doesn't necessarily make it more well-known - especially since it doesn't have a nicely designed official PDF version. If there was such a version for free on the various PDF download sites, it would undoubtedly be so. On the other hand, the published version was Red Steel, and it had a great deal more advertisement.

Anyway, if the problem is the Red Steel logo, why don't we design a new Savage Coast one? It would not be hard to come up with something better than the one used for the downloads. :?

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:02 am

Thorf wrote: You may be right about the online book, I'm not really sure. The fact that it's free doesn't necessarily make it more well-known - especially since it doesn't have a nicely designed official PDF version.
But there are nicely typeset unofficial ones in the SC page at the Vaults of Pandius.
Anyway, if the problem is the Red Steel logo, why don't we design a new Savage Coast one? It would not be hard to come up with something better than the one used for the downloads. :?
Not for me: I'm totally inept as an artist :(
Anyway, if the font in the SC logo if the problem, you might just change it with the Red Steel font (and perhaps add a smaller "Red Steel" below "Savage Coast").

GP

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:57 am

I'm torn on this. I guess we are all in agreement that the Savage Coast is a better name than Red Steel. I actually like the Savage Coast logo (I remember being so excited when I first saw it), but I agree that it doesn't work very well when shrunk to forum logo size.

Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Andaire
Stone Giant

Post by Andaire » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:58 pm

While we may prefer the name Savage Coast, the Red Steel logo is much more readable.
Besides, what is published as a "TSR setting" is Red Steel, not Savage Coast.
Information Wants To Be Free
Hervé Musseau http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1223372668

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:06 pm

Agree that "Savage Coast" is a cooler name, but the Red Steel logo is much more readable.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:18 pm

Andaire wrote:While we may prefer the name Savage Coast, the Red Steel logo is much more readable.
Besides, what is published as a "TSR setting" is Red Steel, not Savage Coast.
Technically, both logos were on published products. The Red Steel logo was published in a retail boxed set. The Savage Coast logo was published in a downloadable file, but is still equally canon/official.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:13 am

I would definitely prefer Savage Coast to Red Steel, but would also prefer a different logo to the Savage Coastal one.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:18 pm

Someone needs to do the "Savage Coast" logo without the guy in the middle (hokey), but with the Red Steel lettering/colors. The gold isn't a large enough contrast to the background of the website.

I would volunteer, but my Photoshop-fu is weak.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:53 am

Something like this?

I'm not entirely happy with the sparkles, but I couldn't find a better way to make them.

Obviously since "Savage Coast" is longer than "Red Steel" the lettering is smaller, but that can't really be helped.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:10 am

Looking good Thorf! :)

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:27 am

Thorf wrote:Something like this?
snip cool images
Awesome work. Thank you.

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:02 pm

I have to say I like Thorf's Savage Steel with the clear background.

Andaire
Stone Giant

Post by Andaire » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:14 pm

Me too.
Ashtagon, we need a revote!

BTW Thorf, the reds look more red than Ash's Red Steel's. Maybe this is accented by the black border.

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:27 pm

Andaire wrote:Me too.
The revote has already taken place, and the electorate (of one) was unanimous in their choice - Thorf's design wins with 100% of the popular vote!

I love democracy :lol:

Andaire
Stone Giant

Post by Andaire » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:14 pm

Yes, you're ready for elections in the largest democracy in the world ;)
Schwartzie cannot be considered, but you can plead the 51st :lol:

Anyway, your one vote was, I think, fortunately representative of the will of all*, from afflicted to inheritors
* unless you were tricked by a priest of Bozdogan

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:14 pm

Andaire wrote:Me too.

BTW Thorf, the reds look more red than Ash's Red Steel's. Maybe this is accented by the black border.
Well since I did it from memory, it worked out not too bad. :D The colour is actually easy to change (the effects are all layered on top and will change with the colour), but it does seem to match the image I have of the Red Steel logo in my head. For whatever that is worth... ;)

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:33 am

<snippity-snip of the pics>
I'm not entirely happy with the sparkles, but I couldn't find a better way to make them.

Obviously since "Savage Coast" is longer than "Red Steel" the lettering is smaller, but that can't really be helped.
Perfect-O! I like the topmost.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:06 am

RobJN wrote:Perfect-O! I like the topmost.
They're actually all the same design. ;) I just added a black background and posted the larger versions so you could all see the logo "in action". :D

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:28 pm

<bandwitdh saving snip>
That is a brilliant fusion of the old and the new. I can't wait to see someone write a Savage Coast netbook for this to go onto! :P

I am a bit baffled with TSR using two names for Red Steel/Savage Coast, but hope this logo is the first step towards pulling the two things together. Maybe, if VoP publish some Savage Coast netbooks, one of them could be called "Red Steel", so that the "alternative name" isn't "dumped". A Red Steel netbook could feature a number of red steel weapons, red steel armor and shields, red steel conventional items and some red steel magic items. I would be especially keen to see what a redsmith can do with stuff that isn't turned into a magic item, as I can't seem to find too many mundane items in the free Savage Coast download.
Thorf wrote:I'm not entirely happy with the sparkles, but I couldn't find a better way to make them.

You are always going to get issues with fitting in text of fairly long campaign setting names, but this still looks a lot better than the logo with the guy in the middle of the two words. That is just unworkable at a small scale.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Tim Beach
Orc

Post by Tim Beach » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:04 am

I too like the revised logo by Thorf.

When the Red Steel boxed set was being discussed, it was noted that a title like "Savage Coast" sounded somewhat generic in a game context -- and Forgotten Realms had the Savage Frontier. "Red Steel" was chosen as a "sexier" name, one that was evocative, and which led into what was going on in the setting. Sadly, it was then given one of the "unsexiest" box covers of all time.

Tim Beach

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:58 pm

Tim Beach wrote:When the Red Steel boxed set was being discussed, it was noted that a title like "Savage Coast" sounded somewhat generic in a game context -- and Forgotten Realms had the Savage Frontier. "Red Steel" was chosen as a "sexier" name, one that was evocative, and which led into what was going on in the setting. Sadly, it was then given one of the "unsexiest" box covers of all time.
The explanation for the name Red Steel makes sense Tim, thanks for sharing. I don't mind the name Red Steel, but I wish the Mystara logo also would have appeared on the covers (though I can guess why it didnt). Ofcourse, when the online version used the name Savage Coast instead, that caused a dilemma for our forum.

And yeah, too bad about that Red Steel cover. What was the story behind that one?

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “Savage Coast”