Couple of Questions

Discuss Mystara's Savage Coast / Red Steel setting here.
The Book-House: Find Savage Coast products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Havard, agathokles

Saunatonttu
Ogre

Couple of Questions

Post by Saunatonttu » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:33 pm

Hey, there's a couple of things I've been thinking about...

First is quite obvious and more an observation than a real question: based on my understanding of "however animals and monsters have been known to acquire legacies", this can also include wizard's familiars. Pretty straightforward here, and it somewhat improves the Find Familiar spell (well, there's the cost in crinnrbyl that gets basically doubled for the character) - but what would be the odds of a familiar actually having a legacy? Also - given the link between a magic-user and the familiar, can the familiar's legacy be activated through this link?

Second question is about the time limits of an outsider coming to Legacy Regions or someone with a Legacy coming to areas not afflicted by the Red Curse (this is an important thing for my crossover of Freeport/Monkey Island and Savage Coast - the other areas are not affected by the Red Curse). Can the CON days be reset by a simple quick teleportatio out/in to the areas? If one can't just be out for a few moments to reset the "timer", what would be a reasonable time to stay out/in to reset it?
Surfing's the Source, man...

Gecko
Storm Giant

Re: Couple of Questions

Post by Gecko » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:27 pm

Saunatonttu wrote:First is quite obvious and more an observation than a real question: based on my understanding of "however animals and monsters have been known to acquire legacies", this can also include wizard's familiars. Pretty straightforward here, and it somewhat improves the Find Familiar spell (well, there's the cost in crinnrbyl that gets basically doubled for the character) - but what would be the odds of a familiar actually having a legacy? Also - given the link between a magic-user and the familiar, can the familiar's legacy be activated through this link?
Well.. different versions of the legacy mechanic were given in OD&D and in 2e AD&D, neither of which systems featured familiars, so I don't think there's anything rulewise one way or another about familiars acquiring legacies.

However, If they did have legacies I would think it would be the familiar's to control at the animal's control, not at the wizards/sorcerer's control though, in my opinion.
Second question is about the time limits of an outsider coming to Legacy Regions or someone with a Legacy coming to areas not afflicted by the Red Curse (this is an important thing for my crossover of Freeport/Monkey Island and Savage Coast - the other areas are not affected by the Red Curse). Can the CON days be reset by a simple quick teleportatio out/in to the areas? If one can't just be out for a few moments to reset the "timer", what would be a reasonable time to stay out/in to reset it?
I'm not sure, maybe someone else can answer this better, but I would think it would require more than just a brief jump out to reset. I think of it more as a biological effect than just a magical timer.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:43 pm

Agreed on the reset function. It shouldn't just be a quick one-off thing. IIRC, the original rules in VotPA gave a time frame based on either the character's Constitution or duration of exposure (I forget which). Can't seem to find my issues of Dragon at the moment, though.

The Legacy changed somewhat in the Red Steel set, and became a bit more of a magical effect than biological one, but I still think there should be a durational reset rather than an instant one.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Saunatonttu
Ogre

Post by Saunatonttu » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:51 pm

Hm... As I'm operating on the 2e stuff and found no exact answer there, I think I'm gonna go with "length of exposure" as the reset time: stay away as many days as you spent there to reset the countdown. Unless someone tells the real answer, that is. ;)

Thanks for the input.
Surfing's the Source, man...

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:33 am

The Savage Coast Campaign Book seems to imply that vermeil is the key agitator when it comes to manifestations of the Red Curse and accompanying Legacies. The Online version of the Campaign Book also discusses the Haze -- that plot-wide safety buffer between the Savage Coast and the rest of Brun: nobody quite knows where the borderlines are, as they seem to shift and wobble alot like Jell-O.

For the "average Juan" along the Coast, it takes about 9 to 10 days away for the Red Curse's grip to loosen and the Legacies to go nova. Likewise, upon returning, the "average Juan" will acquire a new Legacy after 9 or 10 days.

So, assuming that the time away (CON in days) has to do with diminishing exposure to vermeil, then I would also rule that a moment's teleportation back to the Savage Coast isn't going to reset the clock. Like sands in the hourglass, these are the days of our lives they would more likely tip the "flow" in the opposite direction: if you're gone three days, you'd need to be back three days, or you'd just pick up where you left off once you again wander out of the areas affected by the Red Curse.

However, think about just how much the PCs would know about the Red Curse: how many people ever even think about leaving, much less actually doing it? Thus, how would the PCs know they have X number of days before their Legacy burns out? Unless they are widely studied on the lore of the Red Curse, they may only have rumors at the dockside taverns to go by. ("Did you hear about Miguel? They say he went loco, burned the ship down to the waterline. Weren't any survivors, but the first mate from the Selywnn said he saw it from where they'd gone to port..." "I know we stayed ashore in the Irendi isles for a fortnight, but on this side of the Serpent Peninsula, Cap'n says we leave after ten days. Don't want none of ye bringing the Red Curse along wi' ye when we weigh anchor.")
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:55 am

RobJN wrote:For the "average Juan"...
Shouldn't that be the "average Jose"? :P
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:11 pm

Cthulhudrew wrote:
RobJN wrote:For the "average Juan"...
Shouldn't that be the "average Jose"? :P

D'oh!

Or... maybe... "Doe".. to go with that "Juan".... :D
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Return to “Savage Coast”