Review of Savage Baronies

Discuss Mystara's Savage Coast / Red Steel setting here.
The Book-House: Find Savage Coast products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Havard, agathokles

Thorf
Cartomancer

Review of Savage Baronies

Post by Thorf » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:48 am

http://www.rpg.net/news+reviews/reviews/rev_3100.html

Has anyone else been using this site lately? RPGnet seems to have great potential, although their linking is a little counter-intuitive at first.

Anyway, while browsing through adding ratings and stuff, I came across this review of Savage Baronies. It's old, and it looks like it was posted on a forum which James Mishler used to frequent (based on his post there ;) ), but it's interesting reading nonetheless.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Re: Review of Savage Baronies

Post by RobJN » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:11 am

Though it sits on one of the bookshelves here right by my head, it has been a good six or eight years since I cracked open the adventure from the Savage Baronies box set... I don't remember it being as drool-worthy as the reviewer makes it out to be, but then again, it has been years since I took a look.

And, yes, the production on this set-- as well as the parent Red Steel set-- is rather high, considering when the material was published. Its really too bad that this had very little marketing muscle behind it at the time.

Oh, wait... Its Mystara-based. Of course it didn't get any marketing muscle :roll:
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:19 am

Thorf wrote:http://www.rpg.net/news+reviews/reviews/rev_3100.html

Has anyone else been using this site lately? RPGnet seems to have great potential, although their linking is a little counter-intuitive at first.
Good for reviews, but their forums are legendary for flamewars and insanity (although I think the mods have been cracking down recently).
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:44 am

night_druid wrote:
Thorf wrote:http://www.rpg.net/news+reviews/reviews/rev_3100.html

Good for reviews, but their forums are legendary for flamewars and insanity (although I think the mods have been cracking down recently).
Personally I'm most interested in their Game Index, which has the potential to be the IMDB of RPGs. I haven't looked at the forums other than the link from that review page.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:10 am

The Motivational Posters thread is worth a look for the giggle-factor. Every now and then I'll dip into the RPGNet forums if a link turns up, but I much prefer the smaller, more focused forums like the Piaza here, and Alternity.net.

I, too, hit up the reviews to see what gamers-at-large have to say about systems I haven't played or heard of.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Return to “Savage Coast”