Any differences between 1e reprints and originals?

Discuss AD&D 1E here.
The Book-House: Find 1st Edition products.

Moderators: Idabrius, Blacky the Blackball

Any differences between 1e reprints and originals?

Postby Big Mac » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:04 pm

Aside from the new covers, are there any differences between the 1st Edition reprints of the Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide and Monster Manual and the original versions of the Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide and Monster Manual?

Have they redone the typesetting, changed any of the internal art or maybe gone back to the original art and done better scans?

Have they incorporated errata? Have they added anything else to the books?
Last edited by Big Mac on Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Any differences between 1e reprints and originals?

Postby Boneguard » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:27 pm

It was Typo corrections primarily.

And, if I recall correctly, the DMG had the appendix (or some) added I think.
Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Consolidated projet thread
Boneguard
Frost Giant

Postby Baron » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:26 pm

UA supposedly has Incorporated the errata.
Baron
Bugbear

Postby Big Mac » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:44 am

Boneguard wrote:It was Typo corrections primarily.

Can anyone confirm that?
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Big Mac » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:45 am

Baron wrote:UA supposedly has Incorporated the errata.

Did they reprint Unearthed Arcana too? :?
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Boneguard » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:04 am

Big Mac wrote:
Baron wrote:UA supposedly has Incorporated the errata.

Did they reprint Unearthed Arcana too? :?

Only for the Anniversary edition.

Boneguard
Frost Giant

Postby Boneguard » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:14 am

Big Mac wrote:
Boneguard wrote:It was Typo corrections primarily.

Can anyone confirm that?

From Acaeum
Players Handbook Covers
Dungeon Masters Guide
Monsters Manual

Boneguard
Frost Giant

Postby maddog » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:31 pm

Those are the originals. Let's add the reprints. PDFs only. The text may answer the OP's question too.

Players Handbook
Dungeon Masters Guide
Monsters Manual
Unearthed-Arcana
---
Hey! I just became a stone giant!
My Moderator voice is in Green.
Moderator of Dragonlance forum.
maddog
Frost Giant

Postby Man in the Funny Hat » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:58 am

Big Mac wrote:Aside from the new covers, are there any differences between the 1st Edition reprints
Not much.
Have they redone the typesetting, changed any of the internal art or maybe gone back to the original art and done better scans? Have they incorporated errata?

I believe they OCR'd the text and scanned the art from the best quality printing of the original book they could find. They fixed a few errors IIRC (simple typos) but most definitely did not actually incorporate a full inclusion of known errata. The text was RE-set for printing but they also did NOT go over the OCR with any care as the OCR process introduced a fair number of NEW typos, most problematically changing "1"s to "7"s, but the original font naturally lends itself to OCR errors (I know this from having OCR'd the MM, PH, and DMG for my own use at home and having had to edit all that text for not just original errors but OCR-introduced errors. A's, 0's o's, and e's got swapped out a lot. 1's and l's got mistaken. Pairings of "rn" got read as "m". And more. There's not TOO much of that in the reprints, and I would guess that most people can overlook most of both the original errors as well as the new ones, but it IS disappointing. Since they did not get scans or whatever of the ORIGINAL artwork but instead of the PRINTED artwork, if you're paying attention at all you notice that the artwork in the reprints comes out darker and with heavier lines, It was all black and white line art in the first place, but that, too, is disappointing that there was no effort to actually get a reproduction close to the ORIGINAL art, but to simply do it quickly/cheaply. Actually having someone with applicable skill go over the art scans and clean it up would have been much more time/effort/money than was ever intended to be spent.
Have they added anything else to the books?
Nope.

It was apparent that they did it at all, and in the way that they did do it, because it could be done without too much work or expense, have a reasonable copy of the original, and actually profit from the whole affair. Incorporating errata or trying to dig up the actual original art (most of which I suspect has been lost to history for DECADES now), and then sort out RIGHTS for reproductions of that original art, was just never going to happen.

It's not unlike the Dragon Magazine collection that TSR scanned and released on CD. They did that because they thought they could, and in so doing actually SIDE-STEP all the NIGHTMARE of sorting out rights for all the articles and artwork by basically just scanning the whole smash into PDF. But even that brought TSR enough grief that they never followed up with later issues and only sold the CD's for that first-and-only print release.

We're lucky to have got EITHER of those products at all. The reprints were not really very expensive compared to buying used 1E/2E original hardcovers on Ebay or Amazon so ultimately I don't think there was much to really criticize about them. I do also suspect, however, that if they'd actually put out a call to fans and ASKED if anyone was willing to contribute time and effort to better art reproductions, THOROUGH editing of the OCR, and verified incorporation of known errata, they'd have been pleasantly overwhelmed with volunteers who might well have taken all the effort and expense upon themselves ENTIRELY. But that, too, was just never going to happen.
Man in the Funny Hat
Hobgoblin

Return to AD&D 1st Edition