Whatever happened to the Uldra?

Discuss AD&D 1E here.
The Book-House: Find 1st Edition products.

Moderators: Idabrius, Blacky the Blackball

Whatever happened to the Uldra?

Postby Big Mac » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:01 am

Over in the Races and Classes in 1e? topic BlackBat242 mentioned a dwarf/gnome relative called the uldra:

BlackBat242 wrote:Uldra: Dragon #119 (March 1987) {closely related to dwarves & gnomes, live in icy caverns or on the tundra}

...and Jorkens said he liked the race and wished it had been included in 2nd Edition:

Jorkens wrote:The Uldra is one of the things from Dragon that I always wished had been included in the main 2nd ed. I discovered them to late to include them in my standard games during the days of regular gaming, something I regret now. They would have been a better choice than the Arctic Halfling in the Complete book of Gnomes & Halflings too.

Has anything else ever happened with this race?

I take it that Jorkens was saying he wanted them to be included with the core 2e rules. Were they included as a monster in any of the MC books? Have they been featured as a monster or PC race in an adventure or campaign setting?

Has 3rd Edition or 4th Edition done anything with this race?

Or has it been abandoned?

Did Dragon 119 tie the uldra to any campaign setting? Or was it supposed to be something generic?

Where would you locate the uldra in your own games (if you would be tempted to use them)?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Whatever happened to the Uldra?

Postby ripvanwormer » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:32 am

There's a creature called an uldra in Frostburn. They're different from the Dragon Magazine version, but their religions kind of fit together.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby dulsi » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:53 pm

Big Mac wrote:Did Dragon 119 tie the uldra to any campaign setting? Or was it supposed to be something generic?

I don't see any campaign setting in the Dragon 119. It pretty much just describes the race. No names of cities or anything is given. They have new gods included. It does mention some of the other dwarf/gnome gods but they were generic and used by multiple settings.
Dennis Payne -- Identical Games
Support Roon's Raccoon Sprintladder on Lego Ideas.
ImageImage
dulsi
Storm Giant

Postby Big Mac » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:39 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:There's a creature called an uldra in Frostburn. They're different from the Dragon Magazine version, but their religions kind of fit together.

I wonder if that was a reboot...or just a coincidence.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Big Mac » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:43 pm

dulsi wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Did Dragon 119 tie the uldra to any campaign setting? Or was it supposed to be something generic?

I don't see any campaign setting in the Dragon 119. It pretty much just describes the race. No names of cities or anything is given. They have new gods included. It does mention some of the other dwarf/gnome gods but they were generic and used by multiple settings.

Dragonlance has some sort of dwarf/gnome theme to it.

The dwarves and gnomes are both supposed to have descended from a single race. (I think both races think they are the "true" race and that the other race got transformed by Reorx.)

And I believe that gully dwarves are supposed to be the result of dwarves and gnomes having children together.

I was wondering if the uldra might have been an attempt to do the same thing, but without the Dragonlance baggage.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby night_druid » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:04 pm

Big Mac wrote:I take it that Jorkens was saying he wanted them to be included with the core 2e rules. Were they included as a monster in any of the MC books? Have they been featured as a monster or PC race in an adventure or campaign setting?

I'm pretty sure they were in one of the later MC Annuals. I want to say 3; I remember it being the one with really neat artwork.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Postby ripvanwormer » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:47 am

night_druid wrote:I'm pretty sure they were in one of the later MC Annuals. I want to say 3;

They were not. You might have been thinking of the arctic dwarf on page 35.

According to Echohawk's index, the uldra only appeared in Frostburn and Dragon #119. In Dragon #119, uldras are arctic cousins of dwarves and gnomes, while in Frostburn they're a type of arctic fey.

The similarity in their religions is this: in Dragon #119, it's explained that an unnamed evil uldra deity slew all the female members of the uldra pantheon. Frostburn tells us that the evil god Iborighu dismembered the goddess Hleid. So Frostburn sort of completes the mythology from Dragon #119 by giving names to deities that Dragon #119 had only alluded to.

Dragon #119's uldra might have been the inspiration for the line in the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer that said that gnomes originated in the remote north.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Return to AD&D 1st Edition