Fake AD&D Books on True Detective TV Show Now Have Covers

Discuss AD&D 1E here.
The Book-House: Find 1st Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Fake AD&D Books on True Detective TV Show Now Have Covers

Post by Havard » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:14 pm

In an episode of HBO's True Detective season 3 while doing a search in a children's room, books that are clearly AD&D 1st Ed can be seen on a table. However, the books titled The Forest of Leng and Labyrinth of the Leviathans are not real AD&D books. Now, someone called Juan Moore who worked on the props for the HBO show has shared the art for the fake AD&D books on his instagram account.

Tim Brannan wrote moreabout this on his blog, where you can also see photos from the episode on which the books appeared.

Now can we get these adventures made please? :)

-Havard
Last edited by Havard on Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Re: Fake AD&D Books on True Detective TV Show Now Have Covers

Post by Dread Delgath » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:40 pm

The artwork alone is inspirational enough to have wished for books like these to have existed in the first place during the 80's! There is quite a discussion going on at the Knights & Knaves Alehouse about works of HP Lovecraft and other authors that inspired the "Leng" line of stories.

I myself have never read any of them, so I cannot comment as to their veracity, although from the sounds of it, I'd love to play in an AD&D campaign based on this! :cool:
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

Morfie
Metamorph

Post by Morfie » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:32 pm

They wouldn't have passed editing with those typos!

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:12 pm

I can hardly wairt to get these!
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:47 pm

What a fun Easter Egg. I'd read these. :)

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:47 am

The artist behind the paintinings, Juan Moore, posted the following on the Facebook Page for The Piazza:
I'm glad you like the covers, I will add that I didn't write the copy, I only did the paintings for the covers, thanks for giving them a look :)
The Piazza the fish one was a painting I had already done, and the prop master asked if they could use it, it is quite different to what I normally do i suppose (I tend to do work for newspapers and magazines). The Leng cover I had a brief and some sample of 1st ed books that the art director liked, I will add that I had a very short amount of time to get the painting done (it's acrylic on board) I think it was about 2 days from start to finish, but it was a joy to work on as I love D&D, so very happy to see the work as a cover, even if it is one that never really existed expect for on TV :)
How cool is that? :)

I like that he is a D&D fan. Anything more I should ask him? :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:02 am

Havard wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:14 pm
In an episode of HBO's True Detective season 3 while doing a search in a children's room, books that are clearly AD&D 1st Ed can be seen on a table. However, the books titled The Forest of Leng and Labyrinth of the Leviathans are not real AD&D books. Now, someone called Juan Moore who worked on the props for the HBO show has shared the art for the fake AD&D books on his instagram account.
Those are AM-AZ-ING!

Are Thomas DIneen and Cris Craine real people? Are they part of the crew of the show or somesuch? Or are they characters on the show?

Does the blurb on either of these books tie in with anything happening in the show?
Havard wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:47 am
The artist behind the paintinings, Juan Moore, posted the following on the Facebook Page for The Piazza:
I'm glad you like the covers, I will add that I didn't write the copy, I only did the paintings for the covers, thanks for giving them a look :)
The Piazza the fish one was a painting I had already done, and the prop master asked if they could use it, it is quite different to what I normally do i suppose (I tend to do work for newspapers and magazines). The Leng cover I had a brief and some sample of 1st ed books that the art director liked, I will add that I had a very short amount of time to get the painting done (it's acrylic on board) I think it was about 2 days from start to finish, but it was a joy to work on as I love D&D, so very happy to see the work as a cover, even if it is one that never really existed expect for on TV :)

Ask him if he is allowed to tell us who the HBO prop master is who took the two paintings and added the fake TSR blurb.

Ask him what campaign settings he likes (if any) and what rules he has used. (Invite him to the forum if he is still playing.)

Ask him if the picture of the man with the sword riding a fish is based on anything that happened in his own D&D game and if the fish-creature is supposed to be a specific D&D monster (or if he created D&D stats for it - any edition will do).

Ask if "Labyrinth of the Leviathans" is his name for the painting he did...or if he gave it it's own name (and if he has a story behind it).

Ask him if any old school publishers have contacted him to ask about buying the rights to use these pictures on actual RPG books based on these covers.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:56 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:02 am
Havard wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:47 am

<snip>

Ask him if the picture of the man with the sword riding a fish is based on anything that happened in his own D&D game and if the fish-creature is supposed to be a specific D&D monster (or if he created D&D stats for it - any edition will do).

<snip>
I found a copy of the fish picture on Juan Moore's Facebook page:

Someone asked him about the meaning of the picture (back in 2017) and here is what he said there:
Juan Moore Fine Art wrote:Mannanan is king of the sea, in Manx folklore, when st patrick shows up Mannanan summons a great sea monster. this is my idea of how he tamed it in the first place. :-)
Here is an earlier version of the painting, part way through it being painted:

Here is a previous sketch, with an alternate rider:

I'm not sure that the person in the diving suit is Mannanan.

Legends & Lore says that the sword of Manannan mac Lir is called "Retalitator" and that it automatically slays fire giants (with no saving throw).
Last edited by Big Mac on Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:20 pm

Those paintings are amazing!

There is more information about Leng and its Lovecraft origins here in this Piazza thread in our Cthulhu forum.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Man in the Funny Hat
Hobgoblin

Post by Man in the Funny Hat » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:47 pm

Morfie wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:32 pm
They wouldn't have passed editing with those typos!
Of course they would have. It actually lends an even greater air of authenticity.

Return to “AD&D 1st Edition”