AD&D 1st Edition 1983

Discuss AD&D 1E here.
The Book-House: Find 1st Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

lwhitehead
Hobgoblin

AD&D 1st Edition 1983

Post by lwhitehead » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:50 am

Hi folks I was wondering about AD&D 1st Edition in North America or USA in 1983, what were the Youngest Players of this game?.

Did any players also played Atrai Swordquest games?,

LW

Angelika Tatsu
Goblin Matriarch

Re: AD&D 1st Edition 1983

Post by Angelika Tatsu » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:05 pm

I had a cousin that started on 1E in 1985 at age 6 and she also loved the Treasure of Tarmin game.
Beauty is when you can appreciate yourself. When you love yourself, that's when you're most beautiful.
- Zoe Kravitz

lwhitehead
Hobgoblin

Post by lwhitehead » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:39 pm

1983 not 1985 so what we known as Pre teens did play it.

LW

Angelika Tatsu
Goblin Matriarch

Post by Angelika Tatsu » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:16 am

lwhitehead wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:39 pm
1983 not 1985 so what we known as Pre teens did play it.

LW
Oh. Well, I tried.
Beauty is when you can appreciate yourself. When you love yourself, that's when you're most beautiful.
- Zoe Kravitz

lwhitehead
Hobgoblin

Post by lwhitehead » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:36 am

I mean Youngest player and DM in AD&D 1st and D&D as well.

what was Treasure of Tarmin game?,

LW

Angelika Tatsu
Goblin Matriarch

Post by Angelika Tatsu » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:03 am

lwhitehead wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:36 am

LW
I never played the game myself, but here is a link to the wikipedia article on the game.
- Zoe Kravitz

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:06 am

In 1983, my 2 year old cousin nearly swallowed my gem dice when I was tasked with babysitting after school during the winter. But sadly, she never learned to play D&D, and eventually grew up with little knowledge or desire for fantasy, science fiction, rock music, or RPGs. She graduated suma cum laude and went to college to learn fashion and hair design. She is happily married now to a building contractor and has two wonderful boys who love football. A little too much.

As for the Crown of Life, rumor has it that some evil warlord named Tramiel had it, and the Sword of Sorcery, but died soon afterwards.

I, as many others, believe that he is now a Lich Lord with the power to thwart death itself!

As to what became of the elemental treasures? We may never know!
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

lwhitehead
Hobgoblin

Post by lwhitehead » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:35 pm

Well Dread Delgath how old were you in 1983?, people have stated that D&D box sets were aimed at preteens while AD&D 1st edition was more for kids.

LW

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:02 pm

lwhitehead wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:35 pm
Well Dread Delgath how old were you in 1983?, people have stated that D&D box sets were aimed at preteens while AD&D 1st edition was more for kids.

LW
Hi, lwhitehead. I didn't state my age since I know from talking with many other players that there were younger players than I, including some of the players that I played with bitd. I believe there were younger players than this, whom I did not play with, but have only heard anecdotally.

I must admit that I am slightly confused and somewhat amused at your OP.
lwhitehead wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:50 am
Hi folks I was wondering about AD&D 1st Edition in North America or USA in 1983, what were the Youngest Players of this game?.

Did any players also played Atrai Swordquest games?,

LW
I don't understand what 1983 has to do with the question you ask. Do you wish to know what age I was in 1983, or what the youngest age of any player was in 1983, or what age range was the game intended for in 1983, knowing that different editions were revised and released throughout nearly every year from 1977 to 1989, and each version says something different.

It seems to me that when you say "...D&D box sets were aimed at preteens while AD&D 1st edition was more for kids..." it was said in a derogatory manner. People say a lot of things, and many of those things are not consistent with what may actually be. It all depends on perspective. I've never once let anyone deride me (although they've tried) for playing any game that I find immense pleasure in playing.

I look to the books to derive an answer, or at least a statement of fact:

Basic D&D edited by Holmes (1977, 1980, 1981) states on page 5 "Dungeons & Dragons is a fantastic, exciting and imaginative game of role playing for adults 12 years and up.", while the D&D Basic set by Moldvay (1980) states on the box cover "The Original Fantasy Role Playing Game For 3 or More Adults, Ages 10 and Up."

The Advanced D&D Player's Handbook (1978, 1980) states on page 7 "The game is ideally for three or more adult players..." but does not give an age range that I am aware of.

I hope this helps refine your search for the answers you seek.

Cheers. :cool:
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:45 pm

Angelika Tatsu wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:03 am
lwhitehead wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:36 am

LW
I never played the game myself, but here is a link to the wikipedia article on the game.
This game was a blast and a sequel to a lesser known AD&D game. You had to kill some horribly pixelated (hello 80s) Minotaur from what I remember. If you left him alone, you could play endlessly and eventually get to god mode.
Follow the Maztica (Aztez/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

lwhitehead
Hobgoblin

Post by lwhitehead » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:27 am

I'm not trying to slam anyone I just need to know the Age range it's for my Quarters setting,

LW

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:39 am

I started playing in elementary school (1st or 2nd grade, I forget exactly which) with the D&D basic set (Moldvay edition) and while that was the main version we played, I did know other kids my age that played 1E. The predominant sentiment was that D&D was sort of the "entry version" and AD&D was the "expert" version (it was called Advanced after all). That said, I didn't really know anyone who played straight AD&D until much later in life, although all of us playing Basic/Expert often played a hybrid where we cherry picked stuff from AD&D (monsters, magic items, spells) and used them.

I also not only remember Treasure of Tarmin, but we owned it and played it frequently on our Intellivision (which was the far superior video game console, in spite of what the Atari players would have you believe).
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

lwhitehead
Hobgoblin

Post by lwhitehead » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:50 pm

But it was the Atari system was offering the prizes altogther worth $150.000 US in 1980's cash made by Fraklin Mint and you know how well they make there stuff.

this setting idea is inspired by Stranger Things and the comic Paper Girls,

LW

Return to “AD&D 1st Edition”