Havard wrote: Big Mac wrote:
The setting has been mentioned a couple of times, but mostly in the contest of other settings.
The Known World/Mystara had conversion guidelines to 1E in every single Gazetteer booklet. Does that make it count?
I've got two questions about this:
- Has anyone every used this to make 1e conversion stats for the Mystara content? and
- Has anyone ever compiled these guidelines to make an OD&D to AD&D conversion guide?
I'm not a 1E expert, but from what I've been told, BECMI and 1E are highly compatible. I think a guide like that would be useful, but I think the most important differences are stuff like BECMI having race classes, so that a BECMI dwarf becomes a 1E Dwarf Fighter etc.
Compatibility seems fine on a first read, but there are some tricky points, namely:
1) AD&D 1e spellcasters have a wider spell choice, and in the case of clerics, they typically cast many more spells per day (starting from 1st level).
2) AD&D 1e demihumans have much lower level limits than BECMI's racial classes, even without considering attack ranks. The level limits also depend on ability scores. So for example, if you have a BECMI 12th level Dwarf, it would convert in a dwarf fighter of 7th to 9th level (depending on whether his strength is 16 or less, 17 or 18).
3) AD&D 1e has a much larger choice of magic items and treasures.
In my experience the above are the main stumbling blocks for a conversion, which may force to (boring) rewritings of material.