Published AD&D 1st Ed Settings

Discuss AD&D 1E here.
The Book-House: Find 1st Edition products.

Moderators: Idabrius, Blacky the Blackball

Re: Which settings?

Postby Angel Tarragon » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:14 am

I wonder if Boot Hill & Indiana Jones were covered by the 1E rules.
Angel R. Tarragon (aka A.R.T.)
Blog / DeviantArt / Facebook / Letterboxd / Twitter / YouTube / See More
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby DaGrizz » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:09 am

Twin Agate Dragons wrote:I wonder if Boot Hill & Indiana Jones were covered by the 1E rules.

Actually in the 1E Dungeon Masters Guide they gave conversion information for both Boot Hill and Gamma World (which at the time were the only other games TSR produced). I also remember a couple of Dragon Magazine articles that used D&D monsters for Indiana Jones stuff if memory serves.
DaGrizz
Goblin

Postby Jorkens » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:46 am

DaGrizz wrote:Also Judges Guild put out their City State of the Invincible Overlord during 1E as well as their campaign setting (wilderlands I think) along with a few other supplements before TSR started wielding the Iron fist of copyright law (which is strangely after they Ousted Gary and his wife took over)

This doesn't seem quite right? I though Judges guild went out of business while Gary was still involved and I didn't think any spouse of Gary's has been involved in game-publishing until recently?
Jorkens
Stone Giant

Postby DaGrizz » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:39 pm

Jorkens wrote:
DaGrizz wrote:Also Judges Guild put out their City State of the Invincible Overlord during 1E as well as their campaign setting (wilderlands I think) along with a few other supplements before TSR started wielding the Iron fist of copyright law (which is strangely after they Ousted Gary and his wife took over)

This doesn't seem quite right? I though Judges guild went out of business while Gary was still involved and I didn't think any spouse of Gary's has been involved in game-publishing until recently?

It is completely possible I have my facts a bit wrong there. However, I am pretty sure that Gary's wife received his intellectual property as part of the divorce settlement. I remember reading an article by Gary that spoke about how his wife viewed gamers as a lower class of people who would buy any and everything that TSR put out which is why they had so much out for 2nd edition. As far as Judges Guild, I am not sure, I wish I still had some of their stuff so I could look at copyright dates and the like. I just remember my Uncle gave them to me after I pestered him to borrow some DnD stuff and I asked him about it and he said that it was an independent company that existed before "TSR became the slick product you see now" which was back in the early 80's. Now I am going to have to go and see what I can dig up about it all.

If you know of a source if information that would help clear this up for me I would be much obliged.
DaGrizz
Goblin

Postby DaGrizz » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:27 pm

Okay I just did some research and it turns out I was way wrong about the divorce and how Gary left the company.
DaGrizz
Goblin

Postby Jorkens » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:38 pm

Ah good. For some reason an answer post I wrote while you were posting this never came trough here and at least I don't have to write it again. The power struggle within TSR is a big mess that I don't think anyone has all the details of, so a definitive source is difficult to point out. Dragonsfoot and various interviews read over the years have given me an idea of what happened, but many people have not given their version so there might still be things that haven't been said.
Jorkens
Stone Giant

Postby Falconer » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:41 pm

So... much... misinformation...!
Falconer
Troll

Postby rabindranath72 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:31 am

DaGrizz wrote:I remember reading an article by Gary that spoke about how his wife viewed gamers as a lower class of people who would buy any and everything that TSR put out which is why they had so much out for 2nd edition.

That has been attributed to Lorraine Williams.
rabindranath72
White Dragon

Postby Falconer » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:57 pm

In any case, Judges Guild was officially licensed by TSR to produce D&D and AD&D supplements, so their products bore the D&D or AD&D logo proudly and legally.
Falconer
Troll

Postby Azaghal » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:17 am

I doubt we will ever know everything, but the Gygax TSR break was bad, very bad and I think bad for TSR in a lot of ways.
Sean "Azaghal" Pennington
Azaghal
Green Dragon

Postby ripvanwormer » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:59 am

EGG's ex-wife never ran TSR. She did get some of his shares of the company (not his IP, which belonged to TSR anyway) and sold them to the Blooms, who hired Lorraine Williams to run the company and forced Gygax out. Lorraine Williams, not the ex-wife, is the one alleged to have the anti-gamer attitudes. Incidentally, she's the sister of Flint Dille,who co-wrote the Sagard the Barbarian gamebooks with Gygax and is best known for writing episodes of the GI JOE and Transformer cartoons, among others.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby DaGrizz » Wed May 11, 2011 12:11 am

Thank you all for getting the record straight. I am afraid that at times my memory fails me quite a bit so am always happy to see when people can get the right information.
DaGrizz
Goblin

Postby BlackBat242 » Thu May 12, 2011 5:20 am

Back in 1985-86 that misconception (equating Lorraine Williams and Mary Jo Powell [nee Gygax]) was fairly widespread among the less-obsessively-TSR-following portion of the gaming world. I certainly was under that misunderstanding until I joined Dragonsfoot in 2005.

Gary and Mary Jo divorced in 1981-82... just after Brian and Kevin Blume had declared that Gary had no say in the company:
E. Gary Gygax wrote:I have spoken earlier of the structure that the Blumes imposed on TSR in 1981. As another example of things before then, late 1979 or early 1980, I issued some instructions. When Brian heard what I had ordered he shouted loudly for all to hear: «I don't care what Gary said. I own controlling interest in this company and it will be done the way I say!». I should have parted ways with TSR then and there, but I still had a lot of loyalty to the company and the vision upon which it had been created. Anyway, from that point on, I had little control, and in general what I desired be done was ignored or the exact opposite was put in place.

It seems that perhaps the "Gygax said his wife disliked gamers" comment is a distortion of what Gary said about Don Kaye's widow... to quote Wiki:
In 1975, Gygax and Kaye were only 36 years old, and Kaye had not made any specific provision in his will regarding his one-third share of the company.

When he unexpectedly died of a heart attack in January 1975, his share of TSR passed to his wife, a woman whom Gygax characterized as "less than personable... After Don died she dumped all the Tactical Studies Rules materials off on my front porch. It would have been impossible to manage a business with her involved as a partner."

http://www.thekyngdoms.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode
BlackBat242
Dire Haggis

Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Postby night_druid » Fri May 13, 2011 12:28 pm

I wonder what ever happened to the Blumes.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Postby rabindranath72 » Fri May 13, 2011 2:05 pm

night_druid wrote:I wonder what ever happened to the Blumes.

Apparently he works (worked?) for White Wolf as cartographer.
rabindranath72
White Dragon

Postby Knightfall » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:33 am

rabindranath72 wrote:As an AD&D setting, Conan had only two modules (plus one "heretic" module dealing with Red Sonja). The boxed set was a proprietary system, close to Marvel's color-coded table.

Hmm, I didn't realize that. So, the Conan RPG boxed set and the three CN modules are not actually AD&D compatible?
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.
Knightfall
Green Dragon

Postby rabindranath72 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:29 pm

Knightfall wrote:So, the Conan RPG boxed set and the three CN modules are not actually AD&D compatible?

Not at all.
Three modules were produced which were for AD&D1e: Red Sonja, Conan Unchained and Conan against Darkness. They also provide a few pages of setting intro, and a few house rules (notably the Fear Factor) so they can work as a quick-and-dirty sourcebook for Hyborian Age adventures.
rabindranath72
White Dragon

Postby particle_man » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:43 am

Technically there were conversion rules for Gamma World and Boot Hill so you might count those.
particle_man
Kobold

Postby Falconer » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:33 pm

These products are for AD&D:

CB1 Conan Unchained! (1984)
CB2 Conan Against Darkness! (1984)
RS1 Red Sonja Unconquered (1986)

These products are not for AD&D:

Conan Role-Playing Game (1985)
CN1 Conan the Buccaneer (1985)
CN2 Conan the Mercenary (1985)
CN3 Conan Triumphant (1985)

I hope that clarifies the matter.
Last edited by Falconer on Fri May 27, 2016 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Falconer
Troll

Re: Published AD&D 1st Ed Settings

Postby Havard » Tue May 24, 2016 10:12 pm

Updated. Did I miss anything?

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby ripvanwormer » Tue May 24, 2016 11:25 pm

Barovia, the setting of I6 Ravenloft.
Arir (setting of I9 Day of Al'Akbar)
Aquaria (To the Aid of Falx, The Investigation of Hydell, Egg of the Phoenix, Doc's Island, etc.)
Dunador (setting of N3 Destiny of Kings)
Korinn Archipelago (setting of N4 Treasure Hunt)
Mordentshire (I10 Ravenloft II: The House on Gryphon Hill)
Pellham (C4 To Find a King and C5 Bane of Llywelyn)

If you're counting all of the Deities & Demigods mythoi, you could add the following:

North America (American Indian Mythos)
Arthurian Britain (Arthurian Heroes)
Babylon (Babylonian Mythos)
Celtic Europe (Celtic Mythos)
Central America (Central American Mythos)
China (Chinese Mythos)
Egypt (Egyptian Mythos)
Finland (Finnish Mythos)
Greece (Greek Mythos)
India (Indian Mythos)
Japan (Japanese Mythos)
Scandinavia (Norse Mythos)
Sumer (Sumerian Mythos)

Though those could all be summed up as "Earth."
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby Krimson » Wed May 25, 2016 5:08 am

Greywolf wrote:The Kara-Tur boxed set is really for 2ed AD&D. And if we bring in 2ed AD&D, we might double the number of settings. :shock:

The Kara-Tur boxed set was released in 1988, before 2nd Edition. I know this because I bought it new. It had no Second Edition logos anywhere. It was totally a first edition product.
Krimson
The Melnibonéan

Postby BlackBat242 » Thu May 26, 2016 3:58 am

Yes - 2E was released for the 1989 Christmas shopping season.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode
BlackBat242
Dire Haggis

Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Postby Falconer » Fri May 27, 2016 3:36 am

AD&D 1st Edition has a proper Lankhmar product line in addition to the mythos presented in DDG/L&L:

Lankhmar, City of Adventure
CA1 Swords of the Undercity
CA2 Swords of Deceit

It’s also perhaps interesting to note that the following products were published under the Oriental Adventures banner: Oriental Adventures, OA1, OA2, OA3, OA4, while the following products were published under the Kara-Tur and Forgotten Realms banner: Kara-Tur, OA5 (but Oriental Adventures is still mentioned in smaller print on their covers).
Falconer
Troll

Previous

Return to AD&D 1st Edition