Monster Mythology Update Project

Published 1989.
The Book-House: Find 2nd Edition products.

Moderators: Idabrius, Blacky the Blackball

Re: Monster Mythology Update Project

Postby Boneguard » Mon May 01, 2017 7:25 pm

Nice Entry. I like the Tie-in with the Lesser elven deities, they need more love.
Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Consolidated projet thread
Boneguard
Frost Giant

Re: Stillsong the Singing Sphere

Postby thorr-kan » Mon May 01, 2017 7:39 pm

AuldDragon wrote:
thorr-kan wrote:You know, this would be a good counterpoint to Stalker, who does not have any priesthood either.

Well, I made a priesthood for Stalker, so not so much anymore. :) I see Stalker's worship as a "secret murder cult" that focuses on killing those they don't like through mysterious means rather than with weapons.

Well, yes. But I reject your reality and substitute my own. :)

I like Stalker as presented in Monster Mythology. Though I acknowledge the effort and skill in your writeup. Even if I don't use it, it's well done.
thorr-kan
Bugbear

Syranita, Mistress of the Aarakocra

Postby AuldDragon » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:49 pm

The only non-aquatic member of Deep Sashelas’s asathalfinare, Syranita, Mistress of the Aarakocra is the protector-goddess of the aarakocra. She is an excellent diplomat, and is always on the look out for new allies to help protect her gentle race.

Jeff
Let's Play Old Games with AuldDragon (Youtube) | My 2nd Edition Blog
Monster Mythology Update Project | Spelljammer Livestream Campaign
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."
AuldDragon
White Dragon

Ilxendren the Demonray

Postby AuldDragon » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:48 pm

Ilxendren the Demonray was originally introduced in the 2nd Edition boxed-set adventure Night Below, along with the subterranean fresh water variant of the ixitxachitl, the ixzan. To a certain extant, Ilxendren represents the most dangerous threat to Demogorgon’s mortal power base, for unlike that tanar’ri power, Ilxendren shares many traits and elements with the devil fish themselves.

Jeff
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."
AuldDragon
White Dragon

Laogzed the Devourer

Postby AuldDragon » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:59 am

Perhaps one of the few deities who can rival the disgusting nature of Vaprak is the patron of troglodytes, Laogzed the Devourer. While he grants spells to the troglodytes, he did not create them, and cares little for their welfare, granting spells simply because he doesn’t care enough not to. He is shunned by most other powers, and used as a divine disposal by those willing to deal with him or willing to risk getting close.

Jeff
AuldDragon
White Dragon

Parrafaire the Naga Prince

Postby AuldDragon » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:26 pm

Parrafaire the Naga Prince is one of the more unusual deities, as he is a servitor of many other powers more than one who has active concerns of his own. He is a guardian of secrets and items of power, but his guardianship is not absolute. He designs traps, tricks, and riddles to test those who search for his charges in order to determine only those he deems worthy gain them. His few worshipers similarly focus on guardianship, although with a much lower focus on testing those who search for their wards.

Jeff
AuldDragon
White Dragon

Postby Zeromaru X » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:11 am

I have to say it: Wow! Despite claiming I like to collect all info about dragons and their stuff, I did not knew about the minor dragon gods, until I read your blog! Many thanks, really. I'm going to steal your lore for my Arkhosian empire.
Zeromaru X
The Elder Wizard

Postby AuldDragon » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:32 pm

Zeromaru X wrote:I have to say it: Wow! Despite claiming I like to collect all info about dragons and their stuff, I did not knew about the minor dragon gods, until I read your blog! Many thanks, really. I'm going to steal your lore for my Arkhosian empire.

Yeah, two of those deities just had a single passing entry in the Council of Wyrms material. Pretty easy to miss!

Jeff
AuldDragon
White Dragon

Water Lion the Sharkslayer

Postby AuldDragon » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:05 pm

Water Lion the Sharkslayer is an unusual and mysterious deity who wanders the planes for reasons unknown, although there are many theories about his purpose. He has only a small and dispersed following among the aquatic races, mostly loners and hunters.

Jeff
AuldDragon
White Dragon

Re: Water Lion the Sharkslayer

Postby Havard » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:22 pm

AuldDragon wrote:Water Lion the Sharkslayer is an unusual and mysterious deity who wanders the planes for reasons unknown, although there are many theories about his purpose. He has only a small and dispersed following among the aquatic races, mostly loners and hunters.

Cool! He reminds me of Sharpcrest the Squidslayer from Mystara :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Boneguard » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:37 am

That's some labour of love. All of those Gospds are really well done.

Boneguard
Frost Giant

Quorlinn the Filcher

Postby AuldDragon » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:51 am

The patron of the kenku, Quorlinn the Filcher, is one of the more interesting deities in the AD&D game, because he’s not terribly comfortable having the responsibilities of godhood that have been thrust upon him. This isn’t exactly a rare situation, however; what makes Quorlinn different is that he was never a mortal like most of those who share those feelings. It creates a much more interesting deity, as does the merging of eastern and western elements that kenku represent.

Jeff
AuldDragon
White Dragon

Postby Angel Tarragon » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:26 pm

I've always had a soft spot for Kenku. Great write-up, quite enjoyed it Auld Dragon! :cool:

Noticed two errors in grammar.
Utilize all the tools at you disposal to survive.
Trick and trap those who would do you harm; surprise them with you ingenuity and eliminate their ability to harm before they realize what is happening.

Change you to your.

And one potential change...
Finally, priests carry a staff of five to six feet tall topped with an ornate ring; four smaller rings hang off the bottom of the ring, two on either side of the shaft.

Change of to from.

Or:
Finally, priests carry a staff that is either five or six feet tall that is topped with an ornate ring; ...
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby AuldDragon » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:36 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote:I've always had a soft spot for Kenku. Great write-up, quite enjoyed it Auld Dragon! :cool:

Noticed two errors in grammar.
Utilize all the tools at you disposal to survive.
Trick and trap those who would do you harm; surprise them with you ingenuity and eliminate their ability to harm before they realize what is happening.

Change you to your.

Thanks, I made those changes to my back-end version.

Angel Tarragon wrote:And one potential change...
Finally, priests carry a staff of five to six feet tall topped with an ornate ring; four smaller rings hang off the bottom of the ring, two on either side of the shaft.

Change of to from.

Or:
Finally, priests carry a staff that is either five or six feet tall that is topped with an ornate ring; ...

Ended up going with:
"Finally, priests carry a staff that is from five to six feet tall topped with an ornate ring..."

Thanks for the editorial help! :D

Jeff
AuldDragon
White Dragon

Postby Angel Tarragon » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:48 pm

AuldDragon wrote:Thanks for the editorial help! :D
Happy to!

Been enjoying reading your deity write-ups. Makes it easier to catch up on the material on these deities that I do not yet own.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Sekolah the Great Shark

Postby AuldDragon » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:05 am

Sekolah the Great Shark is the patron of the so-called Sea Devils, one of the greatest scourges of the deeps and the shallows. He did not create them, instead having adopted them as his chosen when he discovered them on one of his many great hunts among all the seas of the worlds, and molded them into the powerful and dangerous society they are today.

Jeff
AuldDragon
White Dragon

Postby Boneguard » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:16 pm

Sahuagin! My favorite monster from the sea.

Boneguard
Frost Giant

Postby Boneguard » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:25 pm

This projet is coming along very well, can't wait until you reach the missing Demihuman Gods (and hopefully the minor Elven Gods from Dragon Magazine).

Once this project is done, have you considered tackling the Missing (minor) Faerunian Pantheon? More Specifically the Gods of the Jungles of Chult (Ubtao, the various Spirits) the Maztican Gods, The Zakharan Gods and the Kara-Tur Gods?

Boneguard
Frost Giant

Postby AuldDragon » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:16 am

Boneguard wrote:Once this project is done, have you considered tackling the Missing (minor) Faerunian Pantheon? More Specifically the Gods of the Jungles of Chult (Ubtao, the various Spirits) the Maztican Gods, The Zakharan Gods and the Kara-Tur Gods?

Ubtao is in Powers & Pantheons, and the spirits (other than Eshowdow) are generally non-divine entities that are called upon by the Shaman class. I doubt I will do anything with the Maztican/Zakharan/Kara-tur deities anytime soon (if ever) because I plan to move on to the real-world pantheons, such as the Mesopotamian, Greek, and Egyptian pantheons, which will also be a lot of work.

Jeff
AuldDragon
White Dragon

Postby rendclaw » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:09 am

Oh holy crap, really? Color me interested, like I wasn;t before.

I have been working on the Japanese and Chinese deities myself, but I haven;t gotten too far. I will post what I have done so far, if interested.
AKA DM Brian: Thaco's Hammer Podcast (co-host), and Hammers of the Duchy AP Podcast (Host, Executive Producer).
http://www.thacoshammer.info
http://archive.org/details/HammersoftheDuchy

"Gotcha" rules are a bummer." --Frank Mentzer.

"Sandbox can be fun. But don't go on the all-sand diet; it'll wear out your DM." --Frank Mentzer (again).
rendclaw
Ogre

Previous

Return to AD&D 2nd Edition