Adventurer's Guild Modules (1998-2000)

Published 1989.
The Book-House: Find 2nd Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Post Reply
User avatar
Havard
Dragon Turtle
Posts: 19281
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 7:32 pm
Gender: male
Location: Norway
Contact:

Adventurer's Guild Modules (1998-2000)

Post by Havard » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:10 am

Big Mac mentioned The Adventurer's Guild in a thread in the Council of Wyrm's forum. Since I had not heard of that before, I did some quick research and came up with the following:

These were a series of modules released to retailers between Jan 1998 and Apr 2000. Over eighty(!) modules were eventually printed. Most of the adventures supported AD&D 2nd Edition, but there were both the SAGA and Alternity systems were also supported. These new adventures were only available to retailers. Some of them did appear in later products such as TSR Jam 1999.

Overview at The Acaeum.
Adventurer's Guild Module Index at The Acaeum.

Has anyone played any of the Adventurer's Guild modules?



-Havard
Last edited by Havard on Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

User avatar
Boneguard
Deep One Priest
Posts: 990
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:00 pm
Gender: male
Location: Gatineau (Quebec) Canada

Re: Adventurer's Guild Modules (1998-200)

Post by Boneguard » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:55 am

I could be wrong but IIRC the Adventurer's Guild Modules, were the RPGA Raven's Bluff the Living City line.

And I guess the decided to do a bit of plane hoping with them.
Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Consolidated projet thread

User avatar
Havard
Dragon Turtle
Posts: 19281
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 7:32 pm
Gender: male
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: Adventurer's Guild Modules (1998-2000)

Post by Havard » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:00 pm

Boneguard wrote:I could be wrong but IIRC the Adventurer's Guild Modules, were the RPGA Raven's Bluff the Living City line.

And I guess the decided to do a bit of plane hoping with them.
From my impression when reading through the index linked above it seems that Raven's Bluff/Living City were part of the Adventurer's Guild series, but it included material for other settings and game lines both before and after the Living City ones...

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 24276
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: Adventurer's Guild Modules (1998-2000)

Post by Big Mac » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:50 pm

Havard wrote:
Boneguard wrote:I could be wrong but IIRC the Adventurer's Guild Modules, were the RPGA Raven's Bluff the Living City line.

And I guess the decided to do a bit of plane hoping with them.
From my impression when reading through the index linked above it seems that Raven's Bluff/Living City were part of the Adventurer's Guild series, but it included material for other settings and game lines both before and after the Living City ones...
It actually lists them all, on the AG Index page:
  • Series 1: 6 adventures: (Birthright, Forgotten Realms, Planescape, generic?, Jakandor, Dragonlance),
  • Series 2: 6 adventures: (Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, Planescape, generic?, Dragonlance, Alternity),
  • Series 3: 6 adventures + 6 Living City Tournaments: (Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, Ravenloft, Ravenloft/Greyhawk, Marvel Super Heroes, Alternity: Star Drive),
  • Series 4: 6 adventures + 6 Living City Adventures: (Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, Ravenloft, Dragonlance, Marvel Super Heroes, Alternity Star Drive),
  • Series 5: 6 adventures + 6 Living City at War adventures: (Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, Ravenloft, Marvel Super Heroes, Alternity),
  • Series 6: 6 adventures + 3 Living City: Troubador's Reprise parts and 3 Living City: Just Lookin' parts: (Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, Ravenloft, generic?, Alternity),
  • Series 7: 6 adventures: (Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, Ravenloft, Council of Wyrms, Marvel Super Heroes, Alternity Star Drive),
  • Series 8: 5 adventures: (Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, Ravenloft, generic?, Alternity Dark Matter) and
  • Series 9: 1 adventure: (Alternity Star Drive)
  • Series 10: 1 adventure: (Dragonlance)
  • Series 11: 1 adventure: (Diablo II)
  • Series 12: 1 adventure: (Greyhawk)
Looking at the product line overall, we have:
  • 24 Living City adventures,
  • 8 1/2 Greyhawk adventures*,
  • 8 Forgotten Realms adventures,
  • 8 Alternity adventures (including Star Drive and Dark Matter),
  • 6 1/2 Ravenloft adventures*,
  • 6 Dragonlance adventures,
  • 4 Marvel Super Heroes adventures,
  • 4 generic adventures (and I'm not convinced they are all generic, as the Council of Wyrms and Jakandor adventures were listed as generic),
  • 2 Planescape adventures,
  • 1 Birthright adventure,
  • 1 Council of Wyrms adventure,
  • 1 Jakandor adventure and
  • 1 Diablo II adventure.
* = This includes one Greyhawk/Ravenloft crossover adventure.

Interestingly, the first two Living City Tournament products seem to have their titles in Comic Sans! So we could potentially have a Forgotten Realms subforum with a Comic Sans logo, at The Piazza at some point in the future! :twisted:
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 24276
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: Adventurer's Guild Modules (1998-2000)

Post by Big Mac » Mon May 28, 2018 3:43 pm

Trivia & Anecdotes: TSR Jam 1999 has some details on the RPGA Adventurer’s Guild program, and Sean K Reynold's part in it.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
JamesMishler
Ogre
Posts: 236
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:07 am
Gender: male
Location: Appleton, WI
Contact:

Re: Adventurer's Guild Modules (1998-2000)

Post by JamesMishler » Mon May 28, 2018 5:59 pm

/Begin Threadjack

You want to know a weird coincidence?

I was just re-reading the first three books in the Arduin series -- this weekend having been David Hargraves' memorial event weekend -- and I did a little research on the artists who graced those books. Everyone of course remembers Erol Otus, who went on to work for TSR... but few remember the work of Michio Okamura, who did the interior illustrations for the Arduin Grimoire (book #1 in the series).

Okamura seemed to have disappeared from the RPG scene shortly thereafter, which is sad, because his work showcased some serious talent in the classic fantasy style. However, he actually went on to greater things...

You see, Okamura went on to join a little computer game company called Blizzard; according to Wikipedia:

"He worked at Blizzard North on the Diablo franchise for over a decade. He was the Lead Artist for the first version of Diablo and created the concept design for the majority of the characters and monsters in the game, including Diablo himself.

On Diablo II, Okamura was a Senior Artist, and created character and monster concept designs, including the second incarnation of Diablo."

So after a fashion the circle of talent that worked with Dave Hargraves went on to influence D&D in another way... when TSR/WotC licensed Diablo II for a conversion to Dungeons & Dragons, which also appeared as one of the Adventurer's Guild Modules!

/End Threadjack

User avatar
Havard
Dragon Turtle
Posts: 19281
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 7:32 pm
Gender: male
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: Adventurer's Guild Modules (1998-2000)

Post by Havard » Mon May 28, 2018 6:37 pm

Fascinating story James! Thanks for sharing! :)

Those illustrations in the Arduin books are pretty cool. I had no idea he was so invilved in creating the visual elements of Diablo :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

User avatar
Havard
Dragon Turtle
Posts: 19281
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 7:32 pm
Gender: male
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: Adventurer's Guild Modules (1998-2000)

Post by Havard » Mon May 28, 2018 6:52 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 3:43 pm
Trivia & Anecdotes: TSR Jam 1999 has some details on the RPGA Adventurer’s Guild program, and Sean K Reynold's part in it.
Nice!

We have a thread about TSR Jam here.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

apotheot
Ogre
Posts: 254
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:19 pm
Gender: male
Contact:

Re: Adventurer's Guild Modules (1998-2000)

Post by apotheot » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:50 am

following...

zontoxira
Planewalker
Posts: 277
Joined: Sat May 13, 2017 8:46 pm
Gender: male
Location: Sigil, The Lady's Ward

Re: Adventurer's Guild Modules (1998-2000)

Post by zontoxira » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:38 pm

What chance do we have to find a copy, even digital, of those adventures these days?
I do own TSR Jam 1999, but would love to have a look at the rest of those, too..
Have a look at my Dark Sun 5e Reconstruction or Planescape 5e Belief System
---
Cager extraordinaire, at your service!
---
"There are no saints in the animal kingdom. Only breakfast, and dinner." - Lorne Malvo

apotheot
Ogre
Posts: 254
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:19 pm
Gender: male
Contact:

Re: Adventurer's Guild Modules (1998-2000)

Post by apotheot » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:29 pm

zontoxira wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:38 pm
What chance do we have to find a copy, even digital, of those adventures these days?
I do own TSR Jam 1999, but would love to have a look at the rest of those, too..
Unlikely at best, in nearly 20 years of looking I have only been able to get a handful of them. One was made publicly available through Wotc site several years back.They show up on ebay periodically (there is one there now) for $100+ each for a 16 page document. Some of the adventures are...at best, not good. The real treasure is the pre-generated characters that they have with them. As i mentioned in a different thread the authors themselves often didn't get copies of these modules after editing.

-apotheot

Argentmantle
Troll
Posts: 438
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:12 pm
Gender: male
Location: Chicago, USA

Re: Adventurer's Guild Modules (1998-2000)

Post by Argentmantle » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:02 am

And if anyone has a copy of Knorrman Steel... I'll pay handsomely for it.

zontoxira
Planewalker
Posts: 277
Joined: Sat May 13, 2017 8:46 pm
Gender: male
Location: Sigil, The Lady's Ward

Re: Adventurer's Guild Modules (1998-2000)

Post by zontoxira » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:08 pm

Personally, I'd love to lay my eyes on the other Planescape module.
Have a look at my Dark Sun 5e Reconstruction or Planescape 5e Belief System
---
Cager extraordinaire, at your service!
---
"There are no saints in the animal kingdom. Only breakfast, and dinner." - Lorne Malvo

User avatar
ghendar
Cranky Grognard
Posts: 690
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 8:11 pm
Gender: male
Location: 1e Saltmarsh. The real one.

Re: Adventurer's Guild Modules (1998-2000)

Post by ghendar » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:13 pm

apotheot wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:29 pm
zontoxira wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:38 pm
What chance do we have to find a copy, even digital, of those adventures these days?
I do own TSR Jam 1999, but would love to have a look at the rest of those, too..
Unlikely at best, in nearly 20 years of looking I have only been able to get a handful of them. One was made publicly available through Wotc site several years back.They show up on ebay periodically (there is one there now) for $100+ each for a 16 page document. Some of the adventures are...at best, not good. The real treasure is the pre-generated characters that they have with them. As i mentioned in a different thread the authors themselves often didn't get copies of these modules after editing.

-apotheot
Given the adventure design philosophy and time period that these were made, I can't imagine them being very good. I'm picturing overly blah, story, blah, blah, story, blah blah with more railroading than anyone is comfortable with. Oh yeah, walls of text read aloud probably too
Fifth registered member, bitches!

If the Unapproachable East was so unapproachable, how did anyone get there?

NPCDave
Stone Giant
Posts: 779
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:11 am
Gender: male

Re: Adventurer's Guild Modules (1998-2000)

Post by NPCDave » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:15 pm

What I remember most about the Planescape AG module Menagerie is not the adventure content itself, but a major NPC detailed in the adventure.

I don't know if this NPC was detailed anywhere else, but maybe I can look that up. What struck me about the NPC is how well she(I think it is a woman) fits the adventure Faction War so much better than the main NPC villain used in FW.

Totally going by memory here, but the guy used in Faction War was a major character in Sigil who was always described as planning to go after the Lady very, very carefully. But the plot he comes up with in Faction War is just an enormous roll of the dice because the Lady once hid something away and if he can just release it he can beat her...but he doesn't really know that, he just assumes that. Of course he turns out to be completely wrong.

But the NPC in Menagerie has the exact same goal of taking over Sigil from the Lady, and her personality better suits the plot of Faction War.

Since Monte Cook wrote both Menagerie and Faction War I can't help but wonder if he originally planned to use the NPC in Menagerie for Faction War.

In any case, the adventure in Menagerie is the NPC sending the PCs into some wizard's menagerie which has gotten out of control so you have a few monster encounters before you get out.

Again this is everything from memory.

[EDIT} Fixed Factol's Manifesto to Faction War.

apotheot
Ogre
Posts: 254
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:19 pm
Gender: male
Contact:

Re: Adventurer's Guild Modules (1998-2000)

Post by apotheot » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:54 am

ghendar wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:13 pm
apotheot wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:29 pm
zontoxira wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:38 pm
What chance do we have to find a copy, even digital, of those adventures these days?
I do own TSR Jam 1999, but would love to have a look at the rest of those, too..
Unlikely at best, in nearly 20 years of looking I have only been able to get a handful of them. One was made publicly available through Wotc site several years back.They show up on ebay periodically (there is one there now) for $100+ each for a 16 page document. Some of the adventures are...at best, not good. The real treasure is the pre-generated characters that they have with them. As i mentioned in a different thread the authors themselves often didn't get copies of these modules after editing.

-apotheot
Given the adventure design philosophy and time period that these were made, I can't imagine them being very good. I'm picturing overly blah, story, blah, blah, story, blah blah with more railroading than anyone is comfortable with. Oh yeah, walls of text read aloud probably too
Some are much better than others, the "best" ones were chosen for TSR Jam, but there are some other stand out ones as well. The style you are describing seems to work best for demo adventures and is still a favorite of many.
-apotheot

Post Reply

Return to “AD&D 2nd Edition”