AD&D 2nd Ed Adventures

Published 1989.
The Book-House: Find 2nd Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Havard
Dragon Turtle

AD&D 2nd Ed Adventures

Post by Havard » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:20 pm

Here's a list of the adventures that were published for AD&D 2nd Edition:

SOFTCOVER ADVENTURES
  • TSR Jam 1999 (March 1999) - Discussion at The Piazza
  • Axe of the Dwarvish Lords (April 1999)
  • Against the Giants: The Liberation of Geoff (August 1999)
  • Return to White Plume Mountain (November 1999)
  • Apocalypse Stone (March 2000)
  • Reverse Dungeon (May 2000)
  • Die Vecna Die! (June 2000, PDF)
HERO'S CHALLENGE SERIES
  • HHQ1: Fighter's Challenge (January 1992, PDF)
  • HHQ2: Wizard's Challenge (June 1992, PDF)
  • HHQ3: Thief's Challenge (January 1993, PDF)
  • HHQ4: Cleric's Challenge (September 1993, PDF)
  • Fighter's Challenge II (March 1994, PDF)
  • Wizard's Challenge II (September 1994, PDF)
  • Cleric's Challenge II (December 1995, PDF)
  • Thief's Challenge II: Beacon Point (June 1995, PDF)
OTHER ADVENTURES
  • GA1: The Murky Deep (February 1993, PDF)
  • GA2: Swamplight (March 1993, PDF)
  • GA3: Tales of Enchantment (August 1993, PDF)
  • Temple, Tower & Tomb (May 1994)
  • The Dancing Hut of Baba Yaga (March 1995, PDF)
  • Labyrinth of Madness (errata; July 1995, PDF)
  • The Silver Key (January 1996)
  • A Hero's Tale (July 1996) - Piazza Discussion
  • The Gates of Firestorm Peak (October 1996, PDF) - Piazza Discussion
  • Road to Danger: From the Pages of Dungeon Magazine (dagger rock map, underground map; August 1998)
  • A Paladin in Hell (September 1998)
  • Destiny of Kings (November 1998)
  • The Shattered Circle (January 1999)
  • Dungeons of Despair (February 1999)
  • Return to the Keep on the Borderlands (June 1999) - Discussion at The Piazza
RPGA adventures
Source: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showwiki.p ... tors-Guide

While the list is definitely useful, I am wondering if there isn't a better way to categorize these modules? My main interest at the moment are the adventures that do not belong to the Challenge Series, the GA series or the 25th Anniversary Series. I think Big Mac referred to the remaining lot as the unnumbered series. Is that the best name we have for them?

Basically I am talking about the following:

TSR Jam 1999 (March 1999) - Discussion at the Piazza.
Axe of the Dwarvish Lords (April 1999)
Apocalypse Stone (March 2000)
Reverse Dungeon (May 2000)
Die Vecna Die! (June 2000, PDF)
Temple, Tower & Tomb (May 1994)
The Dancing Hut of Baba Yaga (March 1995, PDF)
Labyrinth of Madness (errata; July 1995, PDF)
The Silver Key (January 1996)
A Hero's Tale (July 1996)
The Gates of Firestorm Peak (October 1996, PDF) - Piazza Discussion
Road to Danger: From the Pages of Dungeon Magazine (dagger rock map, underground map; August 1998)
A Paladin in Hell (September 1998)
Destiny of Kings (November 1998)
The Shattered Circle (January 1999)
Dungeons of Despair (February 1999)
The Star of Kolhapur (1997) RPGA - Discussion at The Piazza
Moonlight Madness (February 1998) RPGA - Discussion at The Piazza
The Lost Shrine of Bundushatur (1998) RPGA
Wand of Archeal (1999) RPGA

Thoughts on this? Does it make sense to consider these a series? Or could we divide them further into categories? Perhaps consider the RPGA modules their own thing?

Edit: See also the list of RPGA Adventures

-Havard
Last edited by Havard on Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:31 am, edited 7 times in total.

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Re: AD&D 2nd Ed Adventures

Post by ripvanwormer » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:54 pm

Die Vecna Die is often considered the third module in the Vecna trilogy (Vecna Lives, Vecna Reborn, Die Vecna Die!).

TSR Jam is an anthology of unrelated setting-specific adventures originally written for the RPGA.

Gates of Firestorm Peak might be usefully considered part of a series of 2nd edition Bruce Cordell modules and sourcebooks, since they're almost all interconnected in some way. They would include Gates of Firestorm Peak, College of Wizardry, Bastion of Faith, Reverse Dungeon, Return to White Plume Mountain, Return to the Tomb of Horrors, A Guide to the Ethereal Plane, The Shattered Circle, and Die Vecna Die!

Likewise, you might group the Monte Cook adventures together, including A Hero's Tale, Labyrinth of Madness and A Paladin in Hell.

Return to the Tomb of Horrors and Dead Gods were closely interlinked. Dead Gods was a sequel to The Great Modron March, so maybe those three adventures could be considered a trilogy of sorts (the original Tomb of Horrors was included in Return to the Tomb of Horrors).

I could see Chris Pramas's Apocalypse Stone, A Guide to Hell, and Vortex of Madness considered to be part of a series with Monte Cook's A Paladin in Hell.

I've always seen The Apocalypse Stone and Die Vecna Die! as somewhat related because they both seemed about offering ways to destroy or transform the 2nd edition world in preparation for 3rd edition. They might all be considered part of an "apocalypse series" with A Guide to Hell, Vortex of Madness, and A Paladin in Hell.

So here are some suggested codes:

BC Series (Bruce Cordell modules)
MC Series (Monte Cook modules)
V series (Vecna modules)
RPGA series (including TSR Jam and the Al-Qadim adventure Reunion)
P series (Chris Pramas's planar adventures along with A Paladin in Hell and maybe Die Vecna Die!)

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Post by AuldDragon » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:53 pm

These two are both anthologies of adventures published in Dungeon Magazine:
Road to Danger: From the Pages of Dungeon Magazine (dagger rock map, underground map; August 1998)

So they could be a series.

Jeff
Let's Play Old Games with AuldDragon (Youtube) | My 2nd Edition Blog
Monster Mythology Update Project | Spelljammer Livestream Campaign
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."

Noxxon
Gnoll

Post by Noxxon » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:14 am

Reverse Dungeon, Die Vecna Die!, The Gates of Firestorm Peak and The Shattered Circle are all part of the BC Series (to use ripvanwormer's designation, see above post). Dead Gods and A Guide to the Ethereal Plane both build upon Return to the Tomb of Horrors, which is also part of the BC Series.

Noxxon
You can't get over stupid when you're stuck on dumb.

If 30% of the world's population died today, I would only be 30% happier tomorrow.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:52 am

I'd definitely collect the "X's Challenge" adventures under a separate heading, since they are all solo adventures.

GP

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Post by rabindranath72 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:00 pm

agathokles wrote:I'd definitely collect the "X's Challenge" adventures under a separate heading, since they are all solo adventures.

GP
Some of these also form a mini setting, as the maps can be joined (don't have the modules at hand, so I can't recall which ones.)

Noxxon
Gnoll

Post by Noxxon » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:52 am

rabindranath72 wrote:
agathokles wrote:I'd definitely collect the "X's Challenge" adventures under a separate heading, since they are all solo adventures.

GP
Some of these also form a mini setting, as the maps can be joined (don't have the modules at hand, so I can't recall which ones.)
Page 6 of Wizard's Challenge I describes how to link it to Fighter's Challenge I, did not find anything along those lines in the other modules. However, using the same method, just about all of them could be used to create a micro-setting.

The Hollow World adventure, The Milenian Scepter, was also labeled as part of the Challenger Series as well. I do not know much about Mystara, so does anyone know if any other Hollow World/Mystara adventures were part of that series?

Noxxon
You can't get over stupid when you're stuck on dumb.

If 30% of the world's population died today, I would only be 30% happier tomorrow.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:32 pm

Noxxon wrote:
rabindranath72 wrote:

GP
Page 6 of Wizard's Challenge I describes how to link it to Fighter's Challenge I, did not find anything along those lines in the other modules. However, using the same method, just about all of them could be used to create a micro-setting.

I agree that listing the X' Challenge modules as a series makes alot of sense. I really like the idea of creating a mini setting drawn from the modules. I have toyed with this in the past actually, but I dont have access to all the modules yet.

The Hollow World adventure, The Milenian Scepter, was also labeled as part of the Challenger Series as well. I do not know much about Mystara, so does anyone know if any other Hollow World/Mystara adventures were part of that series?
I can understand the confusion, but 'The Challenger Series' for Classic D&D/Mystara are not related to this. That was a label to describe adventures and other products for use with the D&D Rules Cyclopedia* as opposed to the Beginner Series for which you only needed the Black Intro Box.

*=For Classic D&D, not to be confused with the 3E book with a similar name.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Bouv
Cloud Giant

Post by Bouv » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:04 pm

Fighters Challenge (I) is one of my favorite modules and I was a bit disappointed that TSR never did anything more with them (a "setting" book, "mega" module, etc.)

vestcoat
Gnoll

Post by vestcoat » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:32 pm

Havard wrote:I am wondering if there isn't a better way to categorize these modules? My main interest at the moment are the adventures that do not belong to the Challenge Series, the GA series or the 25th Anniversary Series. I think Big Mac referred to the remaining lot as the unnumbered series. Is that the best name we have for them?
Thoughts on this? Does it make sense to consider these a series? Or could we divide them further into categories? Perhaps consider the RPGA modules their own thing?
Most of the modules in question already have designations or belong to other series.
TSR officially designated Baba Yaga and Labyrinth of Madness as S5 and S6, respectively, in the master product listing on the 1996 Trivathalon promotional poster.

The Lost Shrine of Bundushatur is sixth in the Dungeon Crawl series. Axe of the Dwarvish Lords is third in the Tomes series. Destiny of Kings is a barely-modified reprint of N3.

Many other modules aren't generic at all and Echohawk's categories should be ignored. Return to the Keep on the Borderlands, Return to White Plume Mountain, Return to the Tomb of Horrors, Against the Giants: Liberation of Geoff, Reverse Dungeon, Bastion of Faith, and The Shattered Circle are Greyhawk adventures. Die Vecna Die is a planar Greyhawk adventure touted as Greyhawk/Ravenloft/Planescape. Vortex of Madness and Warriors of Heaven were originally slated for Planescape. Just because some settings had weak branding at the end of 2e doesn't mean they should be lumped in with the generics. Echohawk arbitrarily listed everything that didn't have a registered trademark on the front cover as generic. For example, he doesn't list the FR-lite Dungeon of Death because the Forgotten Realms logo is on the front, but Against the Giants is listed even through it's steeped in Greyhawk because the logo is on the back of the product. WTF.

Anyway, as far as what to do about the mess, leave Bundushatur with the Dungeon Crawl (DC) series and put the other, far more inferior, RPGA modules in their own category.

The 1999 Silver Anniversary "reprints" and return-to adventures really deserve their own designation. Rip's categories by author aren't very graceful, in my mind. Even through they belong to a variety of settings, the Silver Anniversary was a TSR initiative to reprint some of the most popular classic adventures and all of them stemmed from a reader poll in the magazines. So, ignoring my earlier paragraph, the remakes of Against the Giants, White plume Mountain, and Keep on the Borderlands should join their brethren Ravenloft and Dragonlance Classics 15th Anniversary Edition in one group.

List The Shattered Circle and Reverse Dungeon (and maybe Paladin in Hell) as uncategorized Greyhawk Adventures or lump them into the GH "Lost Tomb" series.

Die Vecna Die can remain generic because it spans three settings. It and The Apocalypse Stone can constitute the "CH" (Clean House) series, named after the advertising campaign for them in Dungeon and Dragon.

This leaves us with a tidy sum of paperbacks:
Temple, Tower & Tomb (May 1994)
The Silver Key (January 1996)
A Hero's Tale (July 1996)
The Gates of Firestorm Peak (October 1996, PDF)
A Paladin in Hell (September 1998)

For these, simply continue the "GA" (Generic Adventure) series code in chronological order. Temple, Tomb and Tower was first generic module to follow Tales of Enchantment the year module codes were discontinued.
Noxxon wrote:
rabindranath72 wrote:Some of these also form a mini setting, as the maps can be joined (don't have the modules at hand, so I can't recall which ones.)
Page 6 of Wizard's Challenge I describes how to link it to Fighter's Challenge I, did not find anything along those lines in the other modules.
Correct. Wizard's Challenge is the only one made to link to any of the other modules. I can't see much use in trying to link the whole series, as the scenarios don't lend themselves to linear or campaign play.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:58 am

Star of Kolhapur is being discussed here.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “AD&D 2nd Edition”