2nd Ed Rules worth bringing into later editions?

Published 1989.
The Book-House: Find 2nd Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Havard
Dragon Turtle

2nd Ed Rules worth bringing into later editions?

Post by Havard » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:26 pm

I was watching one of Matt Colville's videos about how he introduced certain rules from 4th Edition into his 5th Edition games. My D&D DMing style was heavily influenced by BECMI and AD&D so when I have been running later editions I have tended to run them in that style. But what about specific rules? Are there any rules from 2nd Edition that could be brought into later editions?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Re: 2nd Ed Rules worth bringing into later editions?

Post by Cthulhudrew » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:01 pm

I always kind of liked how Weapon Speed affected Initiative. While technically a 1E rule, I felt that 2E actually handled it better and more straightforwardly, without all the weird corner cases that it had in 1E. (Admittedly, a lot of that is due to 2E switching to individual initiative as opposed to 1E's party initiative.)

I also liked how 2E handled Thief/Rogue and Bard skill acquisition, by granting them discretionary points they could add to their base chances. It allowed for a bit more customization of Thiefly characters, rather than having across the board percentages for everyone. That's a rule that actually followed somewhat into 3E and Pathfinder, albeit the mechanics were different. I'm not sure how either 4E or 5E handles it.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:24 am

Havard wrote:Are there any rules from 2nd Edition that could be brought into later editions?
1) Gravity Planes,
2) Air Envelopes,
3) Wildspace,
4) Crystal Spheres,
5) The Phlogiston,
6) The Great Wheel Cosmology.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:29 am

Havard wrote:I was watching one of Matt Colville's videos about how he introduced certain rules from 4th Edition into his 5th Edition games.
Thanks for mentioning this video. I'll have to check it out.
Havard wrote:Are there any rules from 2nd Edition that could be brought into later editions?
I haven't played 2nd Edition in over 20 years, so my memory is a bit foggy. I'm not sure these count as rules, exactly, but I'd like to see the table of unusual tiefling traits carried forward. The list itself may need some tweaking and pruning in alter editions, but I always liked 2E's tieflings and their "otherness." I'd also like to see the Dark Sun wild talents carried forward to later editions.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

Return to “AD&D 2nd Edition”