The Gates of Firestorm Peak

Published 1989.
The Book-House: Find 2nd Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Marco Fossati
Stone Giant

The Gates of Firestorm Peak

Post by Marco Fossati » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:14 am

Thoughts about it?

I've just purchased it.

In which setting would you place this adventure?

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Re: The Gates of Firestorm Peak

Post by ripvanwormer » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:22 pm

This module can fit virtually anywhere that has room for a mountain and a comet, but it's loosely connected to Return to White Plume Mountain; the duergar tribe from Gates of Firestorm Peak is mentioned in the latter module. You don't need to have played The Gates of Firestorm Peak to play Return to White Plume Mountain, or vice versa, but there is a connection there (more of an easter egg than anything else).

The Lost Realm of Olefin mentioned in the Gates of Firestorm Peak backstory appears on the map in Monstrous Arcana: Night of the Shark and is referred to in The Illithiad and Planescape's A Guide to the Ethereal Plane. I associate it with the Sinking Isle from Greyhawk Adventures, though The Illithiad and A Guide to the Ethereal Plane imply a more recently destroyed civilization (centuries rather than millennia). Dating the Lost Realm of Olefin is complicated by the fact that chronomancy was involved, however, and evidence of its existence is mostly attested to by chronomancers.

The Shirelands mentioned in The Gates of Firestorm Peak appear (at least in name) on one of the maps in Monstrous Arcana: Masters of Eternal Night. The Mountains of Frost mentioned in Gates could be another name for the Griff Mountains on Oerth, since they border the lands of the Frost Barbarians, though this doesn't fit with the map in Masters of Eternal Night.

genghisdon
Bugbear

Post by genghisdon » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:49 pm

great adventure
the first for 2.5e (& one of the few ever)
a bit high powered & nasty, but that's fine by me in most cases
place it in a homebrew/make it up. One could link it with some other Bruce Cordell horror/Lovecraftian/punch out Cthulhu adventures for a campaign/settting

Marco Fossati
Stone Giant

Post by Marco Fossati » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:36 am

genghisdon wrote:great adventure

place it in a homebrew/make it up. One could link it with some other Bruce Cordell horror/Lovecraftian/punch out Cthulhu adventures for a campaign/settting
Cordell used to link his works with some common features. There you can find the Elders, an ancient race with woundrous magical powers

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:14 pm

I have been working on placing it on Mystara. The module does mention Mystara, although placing it there would have to mean that the Duergar and some other creatures must have arrived through the gate before the module events begin.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

genghisdon
Bugbear

Post by genghisdon » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:04 pm

oh, you also have another option: that the creatures (such as Duergar) are simply mutated/affected by the area/energy.

The Duergar could have been standard dwarves once. They would be a small subrace in such case, unique to that area, probably.

Easy enough to make Duergar in classic/BECMI: dwarf plus: diminution & growth (as per potions), invisibility, heat metal (if desired as throwback to the 1e version). Give them a WM rank boost at L4, 8, etc. 1 pip surprise mod (1-3, 1), light blindness/penalties, etc.

Return to “AD&D 2nd Edition”