Battlesystem: Skirmishes

Published 1989.
The Book-House: Find 2nd Edition products.

Moderators: Idabrius, Blacky the Blackball

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Battlesystem: Skirmishes

Post by Havard » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:02 pm

Doing some research on the AD&D Battlesystem, I came across this book called AD&D Battlesystem: Skirmishes. From what I understand this is a standalone game book and not a supplement to AD&D Battlesystem. Battlesystem: Skirmishes was designed by Bruce Nesmith and focuses on a smaller scale combat where one miniature represents 1 character. Some have compared it to the original version of Chainmail. It is based on AD&D 2nd edition, but simplifies some aspects of combat in order to focus on the skirmish sized scale of battles.

The reviews I have found so far have not really been to favorable about this book. Does anyone here have it? What are your experiences with this game? Are there instances where you would want to throw this into a regular AD&D 2nd Edition campaign?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

GMWestermeyer
Stone Giant

Re: Battlesystem: Skirmishes

Post by GMWestermeyer » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:04 pm

I have it. It is a beautiful book, lots of great pictures of Ral Partha's AD&D miniatures line. The system is very close to 2e, I never really used it because for fights at that scale we were just using 2e.

I've been thinking of looking at it again, but these days I'm all about simplicity, so I'm likely going the Song of Blades and Heroes system. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Song_of_Blades_and_Heroes

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:13 am

I still have this one buried somewhere around here; I must admit, I only picked it up because of the Miniature painting section at the back, which was something my brother and I were getting into at the time. I've never actually played Skirmishes, nor did I ever play the full Battlesystem game to compare it to.

The minis painting tutorial is pretty good, though!
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Willmark
Goblin

Post by Willmark » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:35 pm

Read through it a few times but not recently. It works well within the framework of D&D (obviously) but it's not the best war gaming system from what I recall.

I'll have to take another look.
"Why Johnny Ringo, you look like someone just walked all over your grave".
My Western RPG- Hurled into Eternity

Bud
Goblin

Post by Bud » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:06 pm

Thanks for mentioning it. I still have Battlesystem (the book, got rid of my boxed set ages ago). I thought Skirmishes was a scenario book for Battlesystem, but am happy to learn otherwise, and will try to find a copy. Most of my campaign involve some big battles, and I'm always interested in learning new mass combat resolution systems.

Return to “AD&D 2nd Edition”