Half-Radiant Dragons

Published 1989.
The Book-House: Find 2nd Edition products.

Moderators: Idabrius, Blacky the Blackball

Post Reply
User avatar
AuldDragon
White Dragon
Posts: 2141
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:28 am
Gender: male
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Contact:

Half-Radiant Dragons

Post by AuldDragon » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:59 am

Council of Wyrms introduced Half-Dragons to AD&D, and Dragon #206 expanded the options to other dragons with natural shapechanging abilities, with two explicit exceptions: Half-Radiant Dragons and Half-Adamantite Dragons. Here's my take on the former, although they would be rare even compared to other half-dragons.

http://blog.aulddragon.com/2017/09/half ... t-dragons/

Jeff
Let's Play Old Games with AuldDragon (Youtube) | My 2nd Edition Blog
Monster Mythology Update Project | Spelljammer Livestream Campaign
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 22765
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: Half-Radiant Dragons

Post by Big Mac » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:17 am

Do you think half-radiant dragons be more common in the Council of Wyrms crystal sphere, than other parts of the Spelljammer universe?

3rd Edition seems to have made half-dragons into a core element, but I'm not sure that would be the case if you are ignoring 3e sources and not using them as a guide for back-formation. :?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
Boneguard
Deep One Priest
Posts: 921
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:00 pm
Gender: male
Location: Gatineau (Quebec) Canada

Re: Half-Radiant Dragons

Post by Boneguard » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:30 pm

AuldDragon wrote:Council of Wyrms introduced Half-Dragons to AD&D, and Dragon #206 expanded the options to other dragons with natural shapechanging abilities, with two explicit exceptions: Half-Radiant Dragons and Half-Adamantite Dragons. Here's my take on the former, although they would be rare even compared to other half-dragons.

http://blog.aulddragon.com/2017/09/half ... t-dragons/

Jeff
Nice, that will be a great addition to the lot.

Any plan to do a Half-Adamantine one at one point?
Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Consolidated projet thread

User avatar
AuldDragon
White Dragon
Posts: 2141
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:28 am
Gender: male
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Contact:

Re: Half-Radiant Dragons

Post by AuldDragon » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:41 pm

Big Mac wrote:Do you think half-radiant dragons be more common in the Council of Wyrms crystal sphere, than other parts of the Spelljammer universe?
Not really. I can't imagine why Radiant Dragons would be any different in the Council of Wyrms' sphere than anywhere else, and they wouldn't have anything to do with the council in the first place. They'd just be a very rare optional race in the Spelljammer setting as a whole.
Big Mac wrote:3rd Edition seems to have made half-dragons into a core element, but I'm not sure that would be the case if you are ignoring 3e sources and not using them as a guide for back-formation. :?
They're far too rare to be considered core anywhere other than the Council of Wyrms (which only includes half-gold, half-silver, and half-bronze), IMO. Especially half-radiant dragons, which Roger Moore (author of the Dragon article) said don't exist.
Boneguard wrote:Any plan to do a Half-Adamantine one at one point?
Yeah, eventually. This just came up because one of my Spelljammer players was asking about it. :)

Jeff
Let's Play Old Games with AuldDragon (Youtube) | My 2nd Edition Blog
Monster Mythology Update Project | Spelljammer Livestream Campaign
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."

GMWestermeyer
Stone Giant
Posts: 709
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:07 pm
Gender: male
Location: Fredericksburg, VA

Re: Half-Radiant Dragons

Post by GMWestermeyer » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:02 pm

one of the PCs in the Jammers game was a half-dragon. He is the son of Lady Moune & the Iron Dragon Black claw. It was a major subplot for a few chapters, since the PC had never met his father. Not sure if the other players ever figured it out, he became an NPC when the player left the game.

Post Reply

Return to “AD&D 2nd Edition”