AD&D Modern

Published 1989.
The Book-House: Find 2nd Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Havard
Dragon Turtle

AD&D Modern

Post by Havard » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:38 pm

d20 Modern was an RPG based on the d20 system and 3rd Edition. TSR had many different systems for their modern era and sci fi RPGs that I have collected here, but what if they instead had decided to create a single "modern" RPG based on AD&D?

What would this RPG have looked like?

I could see a mix of rules drawn from Masque of the Red Death and Buck Rogers XXVc. Also, one of the Immortal Set modules (IM1?) had rules for modern Firearms.

How would you have liked to see an AD&D based Modern RPG?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Re: AD&D Modern

Post by Angel Tarragon » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:14 pm

I love the idea of people displaced from other times and lands (this is why I am such a huge fan of Chanak), so heck yes! Compatibility between the two would be a must!

genghisdon
Gnoll

Post by genghisdon » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:21 am

not really, no

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:02 am

Masque of the Red Death would be the obvious starting point, although I'd find the exercise a bit pointless... Alternity was the AD&D-era modern game from TSR, and probably would be a better choice anyway (even to play Masque).

GP

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:46 pm

agathokles wrote:Masque of the Red Death would be the obvious starting point, although I'd find the exercise a bit pointless... Alternity was the AD&D-era modern game from TSR, and probably would be a better choice anyway (even to play Masque).

GP
I approve this message. (But then, you knew I would...)
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:40 pm

I find it interesting how a game like Stars Without Number is able to use the D&D rules to create an elegant sci fi RPG. I think it could be interesting to see if the AD&D rules could be used as a basis for something so different from its core.

I guess Masque of the Red Death was pretty much this, but I think it could have used a revised edition. I also have fond memories of the skill system from Buck Rogers XXVc so I was wondering if that might be a better skill rule system to use than the Proficiency style rules from MotRD. Or perhaps the ideal rules might be somewhere in between.

Now, using Alternity for the Masque of the Red Death Setting is an interesting idea that might also be worth exploring! :cool: :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:19 pm

Havard wrote:Now, using Alternity for the Masque of the Red Death Setting is an interesting idea that might also be worth exploring! :cool: :)

-Havard
Alternity by gaslight? We can do that. :evil:
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:05 am

Havard wrote:I find it interesting how a game like Stars Without Number is able to use the D&D rules to create an elegant sci fi RPG. I think it could be interesting to see if the AD&D rules could be used as a basis for something so different from its core.
It's an interesting idea, to be sure, but I guess the real question is what exactly is it about the AD&D rules that you would like to use for this game? You noted that you would prefer a different skill system, so are you looking more towards keeping the core classes and mechanics, the spellcasting, the combat?

Offhand, I would probably toss out the gun rules in 2E and the "cascading dice" mechanic, because I've always thought it is potentially overpowering. There is quite a bit that could probably be lifted from Gamma World 4E, including equipment, that could assist in a project like this (as 4E was deliberately made very 2E compatible).

Some of the kits and things from HR4: A Mighty Fortress could be used, as well.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Return to “AD&D 2nd Edition”