Original 1st printings over WotC revisions?

Published 1989.
The Book-House: Find 2nd Edition products.

Moderators: Idabrius, Blacky the Blackball

Original 1st printings over WotC revisions?

Postby Angel Tarragon » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:10 am

WotC, presumably in a marketing ploy to make more money off of AD&D 2E, reprinted the 2E Core 3 with the black covers and spines. What are the differences between the 'original' print run of the Core 3 over the WotC print run? Over and above any possible errata changes, that is?
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Re: Original 1st printings over WotC revisions?

Postby night_druid » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:47 pm

I know the layout was changed along with the artwork. I think the rule changes were minimal but I'm not sure.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Re: Original 1st printings over WotC revisions?

Postby AuldDragon » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:24 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote:WotC, presumably in a marketing ploy to make more money off of AD&D 2E, reprinted the 2E Core 3 with the black covers and spines. What are the differences between the 'original' print run of the Core 3 over the WotC print run? Over and above any possible errata changes, that is?

If you mean the Revised black bound books, they were published in 1995, well before WotC purchased TSR. Other than artwork and layout changes, the only differences are errata (and a handful of new errors, mostly minor). The most significant ones I've encountered are in the PHB: A slightly revised Wisdom table for bonus priest spells for Wisdoms above 18 and a change to the Dual-Classing rules disallowing changing classes within the same group.

I'm sure there are others, however.

Jeff
Let's Play Old Games with AuldDragon (Youtube) | My 2nd Edition Blog
Monster Mythology Update Project | Spelljammer Livestream Campaign
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."
AuldDragon
White Dragon

Return to AD&D 2nd Edition