AD&D Cardmaster - Adventure Design

Published 1989.
The Book-House: Find 2nd Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Havard
Dragon Turtle

AD&D Cardmaster - Adventure Design

Post by Havard » Fri May 04, 2018 4:34 pm

Anyone here ever used this boxed set? Would you recommend me getting it if say, I could get a box for cheap? :)

There is a video here showing some of the contents, but I would love to learn more about the product.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

willpell
Black Dragon

Re: AD&D Cardmaster - Adventure Design

Post by willpell » Fri May 04, 2018 5:26 pm

I know nothing about it, but I'm intensely cruious.

Demnwlf
Goblin

Post by Demnwlf » Fri May 04, 2018 7:10 pm

I have never seen these but I use my Magic the Gathering in somewhat the same way.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Fri May 04, 2018 11:06 pm

Demnwlf wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 7:10 pm
I have never seen these but I use my Magic the Gathering in somewhat the same way.
Would love to hear details, if you mean you have something more formal than just glancing at random cards for inspiration. This is the sort of idea that seems obvious as a general concept, but takes a lot of work to actually do in any sort of structured and sensible way.

Demnwlf
Goblin

Post by Demnwlf » Sat May 05, 2018 1:08 am

willpell wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 11:06 pm
Demnwlf wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 7:10 pm
Would love to hear details, if you mean you have something more formal than just glancing at random cards for inspiration. This is the sort of idea that seems obvious as a general concept, but takes a lot of work to actually do in any sort of structured and sensible way.

Mostly inspirational such as artifacts, magic items, spells and sacred sites.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sat May 05, 2018 1:37 am

Found the below description on BGG. I would use the D&D board games (Ashardalon/Drizzt/Ravenloft) to simulate the same results. Instead of playing with the 4E style characters supplied by the game, I would use detailed 5E characters. It comes with a random tiles system, event/traps cards, monster cards (with AI instruction), and miniatures.

This game can be loosely used as a role-playing aid or as a really basic dungeon-romp for several players. The basic mechanic is building a dungeon by use cards and defeating monsters for their treasure. The game comes with a couple basic "quests", but most of the replayability is left up to the owner.

There are three decks of cards present:
- The Location deck consists of corridors and rooms that are used to assemble to actual dungeon during play.
- The Monster deck is drawn from to determine possible encounters. Traps are possible.
- The Treasure deck is used to give out booty to adventurers that defeat monsters. Traps are possible here, as well.

The game is very simplistic and could easily be developed into something much more advanced, but it is rather fun and can easily be played solitaire
Currently playing : Coriolis The Third Horizon
Preparing : Modern AGE Urban Arcana mini-campaign
Reading : 5E Sci-Fi Esper Genesis

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sat May 05, 2018 2:06 am

Cards and tiles from the Ravenloft boardgames :

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Sat May 05, 2018 8:20 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 1:37 am
I would use the D&D board games (Ashardalon/Drizzt/Ravenloft)
I'm very interested in these.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Sat May 05, 2018 9:51 pm

shesheyan wrote:
I would use the D&D board games (Ashardalon/Drizzt/Ravenloft) to simulate the same results.
The D&D Adventure board games have worked really nicely for games that I run for my younger kids. They ask to play D&D as the mood strikes them, and have relatively short attention spans. I need to start playing relatively quickly before they lose interest. Pulling out a D&D board game, some dice, and their character sheets, I can get a game going in a matter of minutes. The kids love the minis, too.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sat May 05, 2018 11:05 pm

willpell wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 8:20 pm
shesheyan wrote:
Very good value for the price. Each game comes with a campaign booklet and can be played solo if you are willing to play multiple characters. The AI instructions on the monster cards and the tile placement rules act as the DM. Complexity level is 2.5 on 5. I prefer the D&D system to Descent because it doesn't require a player in the role of the DM. You play against the board not against an individual.

I own the first three and will buy Tomb and Temple when I have the funds. I also use the tiles and minis in my regular D&D games.

zontoxira
Planewalker

Post by zontoxira » Sun May 06, 2018 12:57 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 11:05 pm
willpell wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 8:20 pm
shesheyan wrote:
Very good value for the price. Each game comes with a campaign booklet and can be played solo if you are willing to play multiple characters. The AI instructions on the monster cards and the tile placement rules act as the DM. Complexity level is 2.5 on 5. I prefer the D&D system to Descent because it doesn't require a player in the role of the DM. You play against the board not against an individual.

I own the first three and will buy Tomb and Temple when I have the funds. I also use the tiles and minis in my regular D&D games.
I used to own Ashardalon and regarded it highly (excellent quality, simple and fun rules, no GM needed) but rarely played it or had time to fully appreciate its contents. It seems my group, who have otherwise beaten tough board games, found it frustratingly difficult, to the point of being ridiculous.
Have a look at my Dark Sun Reconstruction Project at Homebrewery or Dark Sun 5e files at Google Drive
---
Cager extraordinaire, at your service!
---
"There are no saints in the animal kingdom. Only breakfast, and dinner." - Lorne Malvo

Return to “AD&D 2nd Edition”