First Quest

Published 1989.
The Book-House: Find 2nd Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Post Reply
User avatar
Kythkyn
Gnoll
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu May 31, 2018 1:23 am
Gender: female
Location: WNY
Contact:

First Quest

Post by Kythkyn » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:42 pm

Does anyone have experience with theFirst Quest adventures Tomb of Demara, Ghost of Harrow Hill, Across Wildspace! and Under Mount Dread? Are they worth running? (Or the like $30 I can get the book at?) Thanks!
Gaming Blog | Twitter | Discord
MAYBE YOU RUIN CHOCOLATE!

User avatar
Havard
Dragon Turtle
Posts: 18604
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 7:32 pm
Gender: male
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: First Quest

Post by Havard » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:47 pm

Kythkyn wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:42 pm
Does anyone have experience with theFirst Quest adventures Tomb of Demara, Ghost of Harrow Hill, Across Wildspace! and Under Mount Dread? Are they worth running? (Or the like $30 I can get the book at?) Thanks!
You can find some more details on this boxed set here.

Not a big fan of the adventures themselves, but I do like the connections to Mystara and Spelljammer.

-Havard
Last edited by Havard on Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

User avatar
Kythkyn
Gnoll
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu May 31, 2018 1:23 am
Gender: female
Location: WNY
Contact:

Re: First Quest

Post by Kythkyn » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:10 pm

Havard wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:47 pm
You can find some more details on this boxed set here.
Getting a 404 :|
Gaming Blog | Twitter | Discord
MAYBE YOU RUIN CHOCOLATE!

agathokles
Red Dragon
Posts: 7209
Joined: Sat May 24, 2008 6:42 pm
Gender: male
Location: Milan, Italy
Contact:

Re: First Quest

Post by agathokles » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:30 pm

Havard wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:47 pm
Kythkyn wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:42 pm
Does anyone have experience with theFirst Quest adventures Tomb of Demara, Ghost of Harrow Hill, Across Wildspace! and Under Mount Dread? Are they worth running? (Or the like $30 I can get the book at?) Thanks!
You can find some more details on this boxed set here.

Not a big fan of the adventures themselves, but I do like the connections to Mystara and Spelljammer.

-Havard
Fixed.

User avatar
Havard
Dragon Turtle
Posts: 18604
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 7:32 pm
Gender: male
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: First Quest

Post by Havard » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:31 pm

Thanks GP, you beat me to it :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

User avatar
Sturm
Green Dragon
Posts: 4723
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:26 pm
Gender: male
Location: Genoa, Italy
Contact:

Re: First Quest

Post by Sturm » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:53 pm

We recently played the first two in the Karameikos Play by Post here. We may play also the others later. I think they are interesting adventures, with a bit more setting "content" than other old modules. Demara is an ancient Traladaran king which has been buried with a powerful artefact, and now an orc chief wants to get it. The Haunted Mansion belonged to a wizard who is not fully dead as all think. I've changed them a bit to fit them in my story, but I think they are interesting adventures..

User avatar
Kythkyn
Gnoll
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu May 31, 2018 1:23 am
Gender: female
Location: WNY
Contact:

Re: First Quest

Post by Kythkyn » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:36 pm

Sturm wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:53 pm
We recently played the first two in the Karameikos Play by Post here. We may play also the others later. I think they are interesting adventures, with a bit more setting "content" than other old modules. Demara is an ancient Traladaran king which has been buried with a powerful artefact, and now an orc chief wants to get it. The Haunted Mansion belonged to a wizard who is not fully dead as all think. I've changed them a bit to fit them in my story, but I think they are interesting adventures..
Alright, thanks! I am mostly looking for stuff to plunder for when I introduce new players
Gaming Blog | Twitter | Discord
MAYBE YOU RUIN CHOCOLATE!

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 23734
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: First Quest

Post by Big Mac » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:44 pm

Just so you know, the First Quest boxed set has also been reprinted (twice) with slightly different names. But they pulled out Across Wildspace! in the other printings.

I've nearly bought a copy of this twice, but it was a bit too pricey for me too.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
Kythkyn
Gnoll
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu May 31, 2018 1:23 am
Gender: female
Location: WNY
Contact:

Re: First Quest

Post by Kythkyn » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:43 am

Noble Knights has one for $30 or so US right now
Gaming Blog | Twitter | Discord
MAYBE YOU RUIN CHOCOLATE!

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 23734
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: First Quest

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:01 am

Kythkyn wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:43 am
Noble Knights has one for $30 or so US right now
Well it did when you posted that...* ;)

* = No I haven't bought it. :lol:

One thing to bear in mind about First Quest (and the other products that include most of it's contents) is that they do not actually use the full-blown D&D rules.

It's some sort of "starter set" aimed at people who have never played D&D before, so it would require some conversion work for use with standard 2nd Edition rules. (But for anyone using an edition other than 2e, that wouldn't be a problem, as they would be expecting to have to do that work anyway.)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
Kythkyn
Gnoll
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu May 31, 2018 1:23 am
Gender: female
Location: WNY
Contact:

Re: First Quest

Post by Kythkyn » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:22 pm

That's a fair point. Mostly I just wanted to know if it was worth it, but I am also not about to pay $100 for a maybe. On to the next thing that could be a good starter for people who have never played!
Gaming Blog | Twitter | Discord
MAYBE YOU RUIN CHOCOLATE!

Post Reply

Return to “AD&D 2nd Edition”