Racial nonweapon proficiencies for half-orcs?

Published 1989.
The Book-House: Find 2nd Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

thorr-kan
Ogre

Racial nonweapon proficiencies for half-orcs?

Post by thorr-kan » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:31 pm

Domains of Dread (love this book) created racial proficiency groups for humans and demihumans. I'd like to expand this for half-orcs (I know Ravenloft doesn't have any half-orcs). Keeping NPWs within the PH, what would you recommend for this group?

Digitalelf
Hobgoblin

Re: Racial nonweapon proficiencies for half-orcs?

Post by Digitalelf » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:11 am

thorr-kan wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:31 pm
what would you recommend for this group?
As a starting point, I'd look at "The Complete Book of Humanoids", which lists: Alertness, armorer, blacksmithing, bowyer/fletcher, carpentry, chanting, close-quarter fighting, hunting, intimidation, looting, religion, set snares, spellcraft, tracking, weaponsmithing.
-That One Digitalelf Fellow-

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Post by AuldDragon » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:25 pm

Half-orcs shouldn't have racial proficiency groups. In general, they should follow the human group, since half-orcs that are PCs are assumed to be of the relatively small sort that can pass as very ugly humans, and were probably raised by humans. Otherwise, they should follow an orc group, which as Digitalelf mentioned, the Complete Book of Humanoids has recommended proficiencies that could be used as an orc group.

Jeff
Let's Play Old Games with AuldDragon (Youtube) | My 2nd Edition Blog
Monster Mythology Update Project | Spelljammer Livestream Campaign
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."

thorr-kan
Ogre

Post by thorr-kan » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:33 pm

CompHumanoid's list hadn't even occurred to me.

I follow the logic of no racial proficiency groups for half-orcs. But Domains of Dread lists racial proficiency groups for half-elves and half-Vistani, so I see no reason not to invite half-orcs to the party.

Boneguard
Deep One Priest

Post by Boneguard » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:10 pm

Human/demihuman vs humanoid maybe?

Half-orc did lose that demihuman status with 2nd Ed. But yeah complete Humanoids is your best bet.
Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Consolidated projet thread

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:00 am

AuldDragon wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:25 pm
Half-orcs shouldn't have racial proficiency groups. In general, they should follow the human group, since half-orcs that are PCs are assumed to be of the relatively small sort that can pass as very ugly humans, and were probably raised by humans. Otherwise, they should follow an orc group, which as Digitalelf mentioned, the Complete Book of Humanoids has recommended proficiencies that could be used as an orc group.
Eberron has a long-standing of half-elves that would presumably build it's own culture (rather than act like humans or act like elves) so maybe the same thing could happen if a number of half-orcs set up a specific community in a game world.

But I did get the impression that, in most campaign settings, half-orcs are either brought up in an orc community or a human community.

Are there any orc abilities, related to having orc blood, that an NWP could interact with?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

thorr-kan
Ogre

Post by thorr-kan » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:36 pm

Boneguard wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:10 pm

Half-orc did lose that demihuman status with 2nd Ed. But yeah complete Humanoids is your best bet.
Have you got a cite for that, besides half-orcs being included in CompHumanoids?

Boneguard
Deep One Priest

Post by Boneguard » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:28 pm

thorr-kan wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:36 pm
Boneguard wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:10 pm

Have you got a cite for that, besides half-orcs being included in CompHumanoids?
I'll need to dohble check both DMG (1st and 2nd ed) as it has been a whole, but IIRC demihuman essentially englobed all non-human PC races. And half-orc got removed in 2nd ed.

Boneguard
Deep One Priest

Post by Boneguard » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:40 pm

So I wasn't completely off, demihuman pretty much refers to Player race other than human.
1st ed DMG p. 228 wrote: Demi-humans - Refers to anthropomorphic, generally non-hostile (towards man) creatures that may be played as characters: elves, dwarves, halflings, etc.
Humanoid- Refers to anthropomorphic, generally hostile creatures: orcs, goblins, hobgoblins, kobolds, etc.
2nd Ed PHB p. 11 wrote: Demihuman - a player character who is not human: a dwarf, elf, gnome, half-elf, or halfling.

While they don't have a definition of Humanoid, several skills and spells will have "...human, demihuman and humanoid..."

Cromstar
Orc

Post by Cromstar » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:21 am

Boneguard wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:40 pm
So I wasn't completely off, demihuman pretty much refers to Player race other than human.
1st ed DMG p. 228 wrote: Demi-humans - Refers to anthropomorphic, generally non-hostile (towards man) creatures that may be played as characters: elves, dwarves, halflings, etc.
Humanoid- Refers to anthropomorphic, generally hostile creatures: orcs, goblins, hobgoblins, kobolds, etc.
2nd Ed PHB p. 11 wrote: Demihuman - a player character who is not human: a dwarf, elf, gnome, half-elf, or halfling.

While they don't have a definition of Humanoid, several skills and spells will have "...human, demihuman and humanoid..."
2nd Edition (in my reading) clearly meant for "demihuman" to refer exclusively to dwarves, elves, gnomes, half-elves, and halflings (b/c those were the only other playable races in the core rule books originally), and they pretty much use it that way later on (ie, in the book "Demihuman Deities") and use "humanoid" for other races pretty thoroughly, even though they expanded the list of playable races repeatedly. Honestly, the term demihuman is basically a racist term to denote the difference between civilized non-humans and "uncivilized" non-humans.

thorr-kan
Ogre

Post by thorr-kan » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:08 pm

Boneguard wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:40 pm

And half-orcs are relegated to the Complete Book of Humanoids...

You've convinced me. Humanoids they are!

Return to “AD&D 2nd Edition”