[Warped World] What are strangest 2e adventures?

Published 1989.
The Book-House: Find 2nd Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

[Warped World] What are strangest 2e adventures?

Post by Knightfall » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:41 am

I've begun the (mental) process of designing a new setting for 2e that is a little... odd. Thus, I need some inspiration regarding the more unusual adventures that were released for 2e*. Now, I'm already have Reverse Dungeon, which seems somewhat appropriate for what I'm designing. But I'm interested in finding out more about the 2e adventure anthologies such as "A Hero's Tale," Road to Danger," and "TSR Jam 1999." I already have "Dungeons of Despair," but its adventures seem overtly serious.

And if anyone has any suggestions regarding any of the 2e adventures in DUNGEON Magazine, I'd certainly appreciate it. :D

Cheers!

KF
*I'm not concerning myself with 1e (or BECMI) adventures at this point. Castle Greyhawk might work for the setting although I had it at one point and just couldn't stand it. Thus, I can't see myself reacquiring it unless I can get it dirt cheap.

DUNGEON Magazines
Bandits of Bunglewood, the • Issue #51
Below Vulture Point • Issue #39
Chadranther's Bane (1e) • Issue #18
Old Man Katan and the Mushroom Band • Issue #41
Wayward Wood, the • Issue #32

Official AD&D 2e Adventures
Reverse Dungeon
Last edited by Knightfall on Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Re: What are strangest 2e adventures?

Post by agathokles » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:04 pm

TSR Jam has adventures from several different published settings, like Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance and, IIRC, Al Qadim. I wouldn't consider them "strange".
The others I'm not familiar with.

GP

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:59 pm

To be honest, the best place to look for 2e "strange" adventures will be in Dungeon magazine. One that pops into my head right off is Euphoric Dreams(?) - a tribe of tasoli kidnap a faerie dragon and get "hooked" on its breath weapon.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:02 pm

A Hero's Tale is about a mystical orb that protects the world against a spell of apocalyptic chaos. Some kenku dig it up in a very low-level adventure and things start becoming more and more chaotic and apocalyptic as the unrelated adventures go on. In the last adventure, the PCs finally fix things. It's not really that "strange," but it's an idea that hasn't been explored elsewhere, and it provides a good unifying narrative for a bunch of otherwise unconnected adventures. It's easy to plug other adventures into a campaign based on A Hero's Tale.

Of the adventures in TSR Jam, I'd only consider the Planescape one based on Lewis Carroll's "Jabberwocky" to be strange.

There are a lot of very strange adventures during the 2e Dungeon Magazine era, but I'll have to take a look through my collection for specifics.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:48 pm

night_druid wrote:To be honest, the best place to look for 2e "strange" adventures will be in Dungeon magazine. One that pops into my head right off is Euphoric Dreams(?) - a tribe of tasoli kidnap a faerie dragon and get "hooked" on its breath weapon.
Ah ha, I remember that one. Good suggestion.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
Homebrewed Worlds Index

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:13 pm

Not sure if it was 2nd edition era or not, but I've always been partial to "Chadranthar's Bane" -- where the PCs are shrunk and then have to make their way across a mansion and garden "the Borrower's" style....
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Allen Varney
Bugbear

Post by Allen Varney » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:27 pm

I believe the 1993 Ravenloft module RM2 The Created by Bruce Nesmith is the one that turns the player characters into puppets.
-- Allen Varney
Twitter: AllenVarney | http://www.allenvarney.com | http://bundleofholding.com

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Post by rabindranath72 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:19 am

Allen Varney wrote:I believe the 1993 Ravenloft module RM2 The Created by Bruce Nesmith is the one that turns the player characters into puppets.
Yes, that was some brilliant and wicked fun :twisted:

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:51 pm

RobJN wrote:Not sure if it was 2nd edition era or not, but I've always been partial to "Chadranthar's Bane" -- where the PCs are shrunk and then have to make their way across a mansion and garden "the Borrower's" style....
I'm assuming that's in DUNGEON. Which issue?
Homebrewed Worlds Index

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:00 pm

I don't know if it counts as strange, but Vulture Peak was pretty weird. Kobolds train giant vultures to drop rocks on travellers so they can go loot the bodies.

ghendar
Cranky Grognard

Post by ghendar » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:05 pm

Are you interested in pulling in any 1e material? Conversion won't really be an issue. WG7 Castle Greyhawk could qualify as weird (or just plain silly) ;)
Fifth registered member, bitches!

If the Unapproachable East was so unapproachable, how did anyone get there?

Bouv
Cloud Giant

Post by Bouv » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:55 pm

There is one Dungeon adventure where a fighter trained a group of kobolds so that they are 3rd level fighters. It's fun and interesting in that no one expects kobolds to be that powerful!

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:39 pm

Knightfall wrote:
RobJN wrote:Not sure if it was 2nd edition era or not, but I've always been partial to "Chadranthar's Bane" -- where the PCs are shrunk and then have to make their way across a mansion and garden "the Borrower's" style....
Dungeon #18, July/August '89. One of the last 1st Edition issues. I thought I it was 2nd, sorry :(
Chadranther's Bane: 5-8 PCs of levels 4-6, about 30 total character levels. "You found the treasure you were seeking. Now you have to escape from it."
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:12 pm

night_druid wrote:I don't know if it counts as strange, but Vulture Peak was pretty weird. Kobolds train giant vultures to drop rocks on travellers so they can go loot the bodies.
Below Vulture Point from issue #39. I have that issue. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm looking here.
RobJN wrote:
Knightfall wrote:
Dungeon #18, July/August '89. One of the last 1st Edition issues. I thought I it was 2nd, sorry :(
Chadranther's Bane: 5-8 PCs of levels 4-6, about 30 total character levels. "You found the treasure you were seeking. Now you have to escape from it."
Wow. I actually have that issue too. And don't worry about it being a 1e adventure. I'm flexible as long as the adventure is good. :D
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:23 pm

ghendar wrote:Are you interested in pulling in any 1e material? Conversion won't really be an issue. WG7 Castle Greyhawk could qualify as weird (or just plain silly) ;)
Um, I actually mentioned WG7 in my original post. ;)

And while I want to limit my focus to 2e as my starting point, I'm open to 1e adventures or even BECMI adventures, especially anything generic from DUNGEON Magazine. Note, however, that the oldest issue I own is #15.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

ghendar
Cranky Grognard

Post by ghendar » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:43 pm

Knightfall wrote:
ghendar wrote:Are you interested in pulling in any 1e material? Conversion won't really be an issue. WG7 Castle Greyhawk could qualify as weird (or just plain silly) ;)
Um, I actually mentioned WG7 in my original post. ;)

:facepalm:
Fifth registered member, bitches!

If the Unapproachable East was so unapproachable, how did anyone get there?

Bouv
Cloud Giant

Post by Bouv » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:46 pm

Bouv wrote:There is one Dungeon adventure where a fighter trained a group of kobolds so that they are 3rd level fighters. It's fun and interesting in that no one expects kobolds to be that powerful!
Ah, thanks for the link. The adventure is from issue #51 - "The Bandits of Bunglewood"

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:00 pm

Bouv wrote:
Bouv wrote:There is one Dungeon adventure where a fighter trained a group of kobolds so that they are 3rd level fighters. It's fun and interesting in that no one expects kobolds to be that powerful!
Ah, thanks for the link. The adventure is from issue #51 - "The Bandits of Bunglewood"
Hmm, I have that issue too.

Good stuff. Keep it coming people! :mrgreen:
Homebrewed Worlds Index

rendclaw
Troll

Post by rendclaw » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:02 pm

We reviewed one for THAC0's Hammer in Dungeon #41: Old Man Katan and The Incredible, Edible, Dancing Mushroom Band. That one is about as weird as it gets. We did another now that I think of it: Dungeon #44 - Train of Events.
AKA DM Brian: Thaco's Hammer Podcast (co-host), and Hammers of the Duchy AP Podcast (Host, Executive Producer).
Confessions Of An Arcade Addict Podcast (host, Executive Producer)

http://www.thacoshammer.info
http://archive.org/details/Thacoshammer_gmail_archive
http://www.anchor.fm/coaa
"Gotcha" rules are a bummer." --Frank Mentzer.

"Sandbox can be fun. But don't go on the all-sand diet; it'll wear out your DM." --Frank Mentzer (again).

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:15 pm

Dancing Hut of Bubba Yuga?

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:31 pm

rendclaw wrote:We reviewed one for THAC0's Hammer in Dungeon #41: Old Man Katan and The Incredible, Edible, Dancing Mushroom Band. That one is about as weird as it gets. We did another now that I think of it: Dungeon #44 - Train of Events.
Ah yes, I remember the "Old Man Katan" adventure. I discovered a copy of #41 several years ago, and the cover image made my day. That adventure is definitely going to be set on Warped World. In the back of my mind, I had already chosen it as part of my vision.

I don't have issue #44. Something to hunt for.

I should also note, for those that didn't check the WW link, this setting is a "flat" world.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:36 pm

night_druid wrote:Dancing Hut of Bubba Yuga?
I'm not sure about the Baba Yaga adventure. It's not one I've come across, locally. And my ability to buy books online is very limited.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

SmokestackJones
Hobgoblin

Post by SmokestackJones » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:20 pm

Aside from the ones Rendclaw mentions there's another one we reviewed recently - The Wayward Wood in Dungeon # 32. You have firblogs fighting trolls and treants moving the forest to get it out of the way - with a village right in the forest's path. Some fun.

-SJ
Crown Royal. The Official Dicebag of The OSR.

My Podcasts:
Save or Die Podcast
THAC0's Hammer

My Blog
My Gallery

My reading of A Christmas Carol

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:35 pm

Knightfall wrote:
night_druid wrote:Dancing Hut of Bubba Yuga?
I'm not sure about the Baba Yaga adventure. It's not one I've come across, locally. And my ability to buy books online is very limited.
No problem. I think there might have been a Dungeon mag version, too. But you asked for weird, and I figured something involving a hut with chicken legs should be sufficiently weird.

lipanwrangler
Kobold

Post by lipanwrangler » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:54 am

Moonlight Madness, by Penny and Skip Williams. The weirdest AD&D 2nd Ed. adventure i've ever read or run. I love it, and have run it twice, and plan on running it again soon.

Also, Night Below, by Carl Sargent is pretty damn weird at points. Love that one as well.

Other than that i've never seen a published adventure anywhere close to what I would call weird. Bu I like it weird..

Return to “AD&D 2nd Edition”