The Fey Kingdoms of Mystara

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Gawain_VIII, Havard, Cthulhudrew

Post Reply
User avatar
Havard
Dragon Turtle
Posts: 20074
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 7:32 pm
Gender: male
Location: Norway
Contact:

The Fey Kingdoms of Mystara

Post by Havard » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:28 pm

I was looking through PC1 Tall Tales of the Wee Folk last night and began to look more closely at the descriptions of the Fey Kingdoms. PC1 mentions many Fey Kingdoms existing on the Prime Plane. Fanon material has also suggested that these realms extend into other planes, mainly the Spirit World mentioned in Gaz 12 the Golden Khan of Ethengar. Where else would Fey spirits go while waiting to be reincarnated? Although different kingdoms exist, all Fey recognize the High King of the Good Kingdom as their ruler.

The Good Kingdom
Capital: Dreamlands
Ruler: High King Oberon and Queen Titania
Other notables: Lotis (Dryad), Olryrrhoe (Centaur), Papasilenius (Faun), Robin Goodfellow (Sprite), Tyrk-Tyrk Hsuu (Hsiao), Chuarbhidhe (Pooka)
The Good Kingdom is made up of all Fey Races on Mystara and perhaps elsewhere as well. All Fey recognize the Ard Ri or High King as their ruler. The current Ard Ri is King Oberon, a powerful Sidhe. His main rival is his wife Titania. The capital of the Good Kingdom is the Dreamlands in the Canolbarth Forest. Most other Fey rulers have embassies in Oberon's Court.


The Kingdom of Annwn
Capital: Unknown
Ruler: King Gwyn ap-Nudd
The second main kingdom of the Fair Folk is Annwn, an underground realm, said to have been isolated from the other Fey since the Blackmoor Explosion. It is ruled by King Gwyn ap-Nudd who has an embassy at King Oberon's Court.

Fan Material for Annwn:
NPCs of Annwn
Magic of Annwn

Other Realms & Places
  • Faylinn: This Leprechaun Kingdom ruled by King Iubadan is organized more like a Craftsman's Guild than a kingdom. The location of his Protectorate is unknown, but it is speculated that it might be located on the Isle of Dawn. Glower the Strongman and Eisert the Bard are two important figures in Iubadan's Court.
  • The Faerie Empire: While the Master Set describes these winged creatures as demihumans, PC1 insists that they are indeed a Fey race. Their Emperor has an embassy in King Oberon's court.
  • Mithrendain (Non-canonical): This 4E Feywild City, called the Autumn City could easily be adapted to a Sidhe City in the Spirit World.
  • Ardulla (Non-canonical): This is one of the seven great cities of the Good Kingdom. It is detailed in Summerhill Hounds. Its ruler is Aglion, a huge Fey being seemingly made up of pure light.


-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

User avatar
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon
Posts: 4360
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 2:13 pm
Gender: male
Location: Long Beach, CA

Re: The Fey Kingdoms of Mystara

Post by Cthulhudrew » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:21 pm

I've long been of the opinion that at least one Unseelie Court makes its home in the dark woods of the Shadow Coast, on the Isle of Dawn.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.
Image

User avatar
Chimpman
Hadozee
Posts: 7925
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 6:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: USA, California

Re: The Fey Kingdoms of Mystara

Post by Chimpman » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:42 pm

I want to comment more, but later. For now I've also found this reference to work that eldersphinx did on fey folk in Alphatia

Alphatia - The Fairie-Folk

I'm pretty sure eldersphinx wrote up another piece on a fey kingdom elsewhere (in Norwold?), but for now I can't seem to find it.
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

User avatar
Morfie
Metamorph
Posts: 823
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:48 am
Gender: male
Location: New Zealand

Re: The Fey Kingdoms of Mystara

Post by Morfie » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:13 am

I'd completely forgotten about PC1. This would've been another book affected by events in WotI.

Is there anything written about this area after the Shadow Elves destroyed the trees in Alfheim?

User avatar
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon
Posts: 4360
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 2:13 pm
Gender: male
Location: Long Beach, CA

Re: The Fey Kingdoms of Mystara

Post by Cthulhudrew » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:13 am

Morfie wrote:I'd completely forgotten about PC1. This would've been another book affected by events in WotI.

Is there anything written about this area after the Shadow Elves destroyed the trees in Alfheim?
There was a question about what happened to Dreamland after the SE takeover in a Known World Grimoire. IIRC, Bruce's answer was something to the effect of the Immortals "mothballing" it until such time as the forest was restored to where the Good Magic Points would be active again.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.
Image

User avatar
Havard
Dragon Turtle
Posts: 20074
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 7:32 pm
Gender: male
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: The Fey Kingdoms of Mystara

Post by Havard » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:18 pm

Cthulhudrew wrote:I've long been of the opinion that at least one Unseelie Court makes its home in the dark woods of the Shadow Coast, on the Isle of Dawn.
This raises an important question: Is Annwn the same as the Unseelie Court? Annwn does seem to recognize Oberon as their High King even if that realm has been isolated from the rest of Fey Society...

Chimpman wrote:I want to comment more, but later. For now I've also found this reference to work that eldersphinx did on fey folk in Alphatia

Alphatia - The Fairie-Folk

I'm pretty sure eldersphinx wrote up another piece on a fey kingdom elsewhere (in Norwold?), but for now I can't seem to find it.

Excellent! Its great to collect what has already been written by fans. It makes sense that there are Fey kingdoms all over Mystara, probably each with different characteristics depending on their environments.
Cthulhudrew wrote:
Morfie wrote:I'd completely forgotten about PC1. This would've been another book affected by events in WotI.

Is there anything written about this area after the Shadow Elves destroyed the trees in Alfheim?
There was a question about what happened to Dreamland after the SE takeover in a Known World Grimoire. IIRC, Bruce's answer was something to the effect of the Immortals "mothballing" it until such time as the forest was restored to where the Good Magic Points would be active again.
If we accept the mostly fan created concept that the Good Kingdom extends into the Plane of Fairy/Spirit World, then there is no reason why Oberon could not have withdrawn his capital back to that Plane.


-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

User avatar
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon
Posts: 4360
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 2:13 pm
Gender: male
Location: Long Beach, CA

Re: The Fey Kingdoms of Mystara

Post by Cthulhudrew » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:44 pm

Havard wrote:This raises an important question: Is Annwn the same as the Unseelie Court? Annwn does seem to recognize Oberon as their High King even if that realm has been isolated from the rest of Fey Society...
I don't think so, if only because Annwn's king is a leprechaun, which are generally considered good (or at least not malicious and evil), as opposed to the Unseelie, who are pretty much evil fey creatures.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.
Image

User avatar
Havard
Dragon Turtle
Posts: 20074
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 7:32 pm
Gender: male
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: The Fey Kingdoms of Mystara

Post by Havard » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:53 pm

Cthulhudrew wrote:
Havard wrote:This raises an important question: Is Annwn the same as the Unseelie Court? Annwn does seem to recognize Oberon as their High King even if that realm has been isolated from the rest of Fey Society...
I don't think so, if only because Annwn's king is a leprechaun, which are generally considered good (or at least not malicious and evil), as opposed to the Unseelie, who are pretty much evil fey creatures.
Are you sure you are not confusing Annwn with Faylinn? Faylinn is the Leprechaun Kingdom, while Annwn's King is Gwyn ap-Nudd. I couldn't find any official stats for him, but Lost_Woodrake detailed him as a Sidhe.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

User avatar
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon
Posts: 4360
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 2:13 pm
Gender: male
Location: Long Beach, CA

Re: The Fey Kingdoms of Mystara

Post by Cthulhudrew » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:10 pm

Havard wrote:Are you sure you are not confusing Annwn with Faylinn? Faylinn is the Leprechaun Kingdom, while Annwn's King is Gwyn ap-Nudd. I couldn't find any official stats for him, but Lost_Woodrake detailed him as a Sidhe.
D'oh! I am, indeed, confusing the two.

Scratch what I said, then. It's possible Annwn is the Unseelie Court (or an Unseelie Court). It would be odd for him to recognize and/or pay fealty to Oberon, I'd think, although it could also be potential for a very dynamic situation (he chafes at being under Oberon's thumb).

I know that Annwn is a real Celtic mythological place, but- IIRC- it is more of a benign, "heaven" like fey realm, as opposed to an evil one. (Although, personally, I always tend to think of the Black Cauldron series when I hear the word Annwn, which was my first exposure to it, and in that series the ruler of Annwn- Arawn- is a death god.)
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.
Image

Maladax
Hobgoblin
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:24 pm
Gender: male

Re: The Fey Kingdoms of Mystara

Post by Maladax » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:50 pm

Here are a couple more findings from fanon:

Woodland Folk and Guardian Spirits of the Converted Lands (part of Christian Constantin's work on Hule; mentions briefly several fairy kingdoms)

Mini-Gazetteer: Baronía de Torreón (by Giampaolo Agosta; contains some information on "a large, if dwindling, Faerie kingdom [...] in La Pineda, a forest of evergreen trees north-west of Ciudad Morales"; there are also connections to the Hule article above)

User avatar
hyrieus
Bugbear
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:44 pm
Gender: male

Re: The Fey Kingdoms of Mystara

Post by hyrieus » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:41 am

I must admit i favour the term Fairy Protectorate form PC 1,

I'm sure that we can lift a few other potential candidates from mythology,that can be scatttered around the continents of Mystara wherever fairies are found, how about:

Mag Mell, the plain of joy with its King Tethra.

Hy Brasil, obviously Hy Brasol in Mystara, in Davinia prehaps with a Queen Xana Mega.

Lyonesse, maybe connected with Eusdria or Robrenn and even Bellayne and Reynardy on the Savage Coast

Xuanpu in Ochlea, DotE mentions sprites there

agathokles
Red Dragon
Posts: 7666
Joined: Sat May 24, 2008 6:42 pm
Gender: male
Location: Milan, Italy
Contact:

Re: The Fey Kingdoms of Mystara

Post by agathokles » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:21 am

While we are collecting information on the fey, here is an interesting take on the fey in Alphatia, by Marco Dalmonte (of Codex Immortalis fame).

GP

Post Reply

Return to “Mystara”