Using DCC RPG in the Known World

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Cthulhudrew, Gawain_VIII, Havard

Using DCC RPG in the Known World

Postby Mike » Wed May 17, 2017 8:37 pm

Anyone used the DCC RPG for Mystara? It would yank the entire setting down a darker path, and would mix very well with Outer Beings stuff. I'm imagining a weird pulp fantasy known world.
Mike
Ogre

Re: Using DCC RPG in the Known World

Postby Tim Baker » Thu May 18, 2017 5:46 am

Sounds like an interesting mashup. Would you use the DCC patrons and deities? Use the Mystara immortals? What about Mystara patrons, if you don't use those from DCC?
Last edited by Tim Baker on Fri May 19, 2017 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby Mike » Fri May 19, 2017 4:32 am

I often think about "backdating" to the pre-Mystara (Cook Expert) Known World, and giving the setting a stronger Sword & Sorcery feel. I have toyed with various ways to do this, and realized DCC may be well-suited to the task.

Part of backdating is dropping immortals in favor of gods. I have a notion that there is only one lawful religion, the Lawful Brotherhood, and all other gods are neutral or chaotic. The Lawful Brotherhood would replace the Church of Thyatis and would be monotheistic or philosophical, with a remote and unnamed deity. For inspiration I have in mind the Nestorian Priests from the Brak the Barbarian stories, the followers of Mycr the Unknown from the Wilderlands, and of course the medieval Church that appears in the Averoigne tales. The other gods could be taken from old modules, such as Oloron Lord of the Skies from X1, or from the list in DCC.

That doesn't mean there are no immortals. Immortality is a staple of myth, with immortal sorcerers, elves, lich-kings, not to mention fountains of youth, weird potions, resurrection spells, curses, magic jars, clones, or immortality conferred by an artifact. There are lots of ways to extend the life, especially for a plane traveller, and there is no reason a Paladin, Avenger, or anyone else could not become immortal. The immortals of Mystara are just powerful NPCs who have not died.

I would use the supplied patrons in the DCC book as they are nicely done and evocative. The King of Elfland would fit nicely into Alfheim, and Azi Dahaka would fit into Ylaruam or Sind. Obitue-Que is probably Alphaks, and Ithha Prince of Elemental Wind is the Air Elemaster.

Mystara has plenty of powerful entities that could be statted up as Patrons:
- Outer Beings
- Orcus
- Demogorgon
- Arik of the Hundred Eyes
- the Night Spider
- the Dragon Rulers
- the Elemasters
- Zargon
- Talitha Queen of Succubi
- Nucleus of the Spheres
Mike
Ogre

Postby Tim Baker » Fri May 19, 2017 10:22 pm

Mike wrote:I often think about "backdating" to the pre-Mystara (Cook Expert) Known World, and giving the setting a stronger Sword & Sorcery feel. I have toyed with various ways to do this, and realized DCC may be well-suited to the task.

Very cool. I can tell you've given this a lot of thought. That sounds like a good approach -- please share with us if you end up trying it out!
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Return to Mystara