The Crew of the FSS Beagle

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Havard, Cthulhudrew, Gawain_VIII, Seer of Yhog

warriorneedsfood
Orc

The Crew of the FSS Beagle

Post by warriorneedsfood » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:51 pm

Not counting the cyborgs, where they all human? I saw somewhere that Backhander's appearance is that he has black hair and green skin, is this canon? Where they of the same race as the Old Alphatians with the blue skin?

Just curious if anyone out there can recall.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Re: The Crew of the FSS Beagle

Post by Chimpman » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:30 pm

They weren't human, but they were humanoid. Also they came from a different dimension (where magic didn't exist), so they are not the same race as the Alphatians.

I think the most common term for their race is the Grens (though I'm not sure if this is canon or not). They did have green skin (hence their affinity to the "amphibious races" which leads to the creation of the Temple of the Frog in DA2).

There are descendants of this race spread out across the Mystaran solar system, both on Mystara and on other worlds. The Pyrithians and Pyrondians of Damoclese and the asteroid belt, and Emmerondians in Davania are some examples (and they all have green skin too).

EDIT:
And... I'm assuming you mean Benekander from Wrath of the Immortals? He would have been an original crew member, so he would be the same race as St. Stephen and the rest (complete with green skin).

Hope that helps!
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:00 pm

DA2 Temple of the Frog wrote: "Though Stephen and his companions appear normal enough (except for the slight greenish cast of their skin), they are quite literally not of this world. They are aliens, members of a scientific expedition that crashlanded on this planet some years ago."

DA3 City of the Gods wrote: "Beagle was stuck on a Class 9 pretechnolological world inhabited by a number of sentient species, of which the dominant species seemed to be genetically related to the principal species on the Federation Board of Governors. In fact, the members of Beagle’s crew, who were drawn from that principal species, could easily be mistaken for the dominant sentients of this planet except that their skin appeared to have a slight greenish cast under the light of the local sun."

So that's what they are: the unnamed principal species on the Federation Board of Governors. Under the light of Mystara's sun, their skin appears slightly green (their hair isn't necessarily black). They may be genetically related to the humans of Mystara.

Fanon conflates this unnamed alien race with the Emerondians, a race first described in the Voyage of the Princess Ark column in Dragon #166. Emerondians were described as a "tall, skinny people" with "pale green skin and long silver hair." Dragon #166 said "The Emerondians are not natives of the Known World. They came many centuries ago from asteroids far beyond the Sky shield, called the Pyrithean Archipelago. The Pyritheans were a race of savage space pirates. A stray war band became stranded on the Known World and eventually founded the more peaceful Emerond Kingdom."

Here's an article connecting the Federation race to the Emerondians: http://pandius.com/damocles.html

"Gren" is a fan-created name, I believe. The d20 Blackmoor line called them Travelers. The d20 version of City of the Gods said they resemble High Thonians, who have fair skin and blond or brown hair.

warriorneedsfood
Orc

Post by warriorneedsfood » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:34 pm

Thanks guys! Appreciated!

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:59 am

ripvanwormer wrote:"Gren" is a fan-created name, I believe.
Not much more to add (rip pretty much covered it all), except to echo that "gren" is indeed a fan name for the race and not canonical. I'm not certain if it was inspired by the Grens of Gamma World lore or not (who are, as the name implies, a race of humans that are green. Though they are rather antithetical to the Blackmoor aliens, as they eschew technology).
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:52 am

Excellent summary by ripvanwormer as usual. BTW the "grens" are described as quite normal human, even if the Temple of the Frog gave them a connection to amphibians which however could have been casual (they meet some frogfolks and tried to control them). The Emerondians on the other way seem less human, have explicitly green skin and are connected to insects, as they have insect mounts.
I would be inclined to have Emerondians native of the solar system, while the "grens" probably should come from much far away, as they did not know magic. The idea of Agathokles for the planet Damocles however was that they were bio-engineered by the original grens and later lost any contact and memory of them. See also Threshold issue #15 Mystaraspace for more about all these topics http://pandius.com/Threshold_15.pdf

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:32 pm

Sturm wrote:Excellent summary by ripvanwormer as usual. BTW the "grens" are described as quite normal human, even if the Temple of the Frog gave them a connection to amphibians which however could have been casual (they meet some frogfolks and tried to control them). The Emerondians on the other way seem less human, have explicitly green skin and are connected to insects, as they have insect mounts.
I would be inclined to have Emerondians native of the solar system, while the "grens" probably should come from much far away, as they did not know magic. The idea of Agathokles for the planet Damocles however was that they were bio-engineered by the original grens and later lost any contact and memory of them. See also Threshold issue #15 Mystaraspace for more about all these topics http://pandius.com/Threshold_15.pdf
Gren is a fan concept, and I believe the original idea was indeed to connect the crew of the FFS Beagle with the Emerondians/Pyrithians. I believe the idea would be that the Pyrithians/Emerondians were surivors of a left behind colony of the same race as the crew of the FSS Beagle. Possibly they would have been dropped off at other planets from the FSS Beagle on its way to Mystara. Or they could have been survivors from failed rescue missions to extract the FSS Beagle crew.

In the Mystaros Blackmoor History, the Emerondians were natives of Mystara's equivalent of Epsilon Eridani (described in the Gold Box as the closest solar system with both an intellgient civilization AND high magic), brought to Mystara's solar system during the peak of the Blackmoor civilization. I believe Mystaros (James) did not work on the assumption that they would be the same race as the FSS Beagle crew, though it is possible to unify this with the Gren theory, if say the Galactic Federation also sent an expedition to M-Epsilon Eridani. I like the Epsilon Eridani-idea because it explains that reference from the Gold Box and also because that was the location of the Babylon 5 Space Station in that TV series.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:37 pm

warriorneedsfood wrote:Not counting the cyborgs, where they all human? I saw somewhere that Backhander's appearance is that he has black hair and green skin, is this canon? Where they of the same race as the Old Alphatians with the blue skin?

I found a webpage, called The Crew of the FSS Beagle, where someone has done a write up of the crew of the ship. I don't see any mention of green skin there.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:07 pm

Big Mac wrote:
warriorneedsfood wrote:Not counting the cyborgs, where they all human? I saw somewhere that Backhander's appearance is that he has black hair and green skin, is this canon? Where they of the same race as the Old Alphatians with the blue skin?

I found a webpage, called The Crew of the FSS Beagle, where someone has done a write up of the crew of the ship. I don't see any mention of green skin there.
As Ripvanwormer mentions, the DA modules mention that these aliens have skin that appears green under Mystara's sun. WotI also states that Benekander (I assume this is who warriorneedsfood is referring to above) has green skin, although he also appears as a normal Darokin Merchant at times. Since he is not just an alien, but also an Immortal, he can choose his own form.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:57 pm

Sturm wrote:The Emerondians on the other way seem less human, have explicitly green skin and are connected to insects, as they have insect mounts.
The Emerondians do seem to be a different sort of race other than human, at least in culture and mannerisms, but (as noted in Dragon #166) "The Emerondians’ skin color comes from vegetable dyes." They have largely been considered to be naturally green in fan expansions, but canonically they are not.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:44 am

Interesting, I did not recall that. It could then more likely they may be the same race of the "grens" explorers, even if that too is not mentioned in canon.

Return to “Mystara”