Mystaran Almanac 1015 AC Barony of Celedyl question

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Havard, Gawain_VIII, Cthulhudrew, Seer of Yhog

Jasper
Goblin

Mystaran Almanac 1015 AC Barony of Celedyl question

Post by Jasper » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:19 am

Hi all,

I am slowly going through the massive amounts of fan-made material on Pandius. I've jumped around a lot but I am currently reading through the fan-made Alamanacs.

In the 1015 AC Almanac Sir Qenildor Erewan forms the Barony of Celedyl on the site of former Camp Huledain. My question is that since Camp Huledain is 18 hexes from Glantri City (144 miles) shouldn't this be a Viscounty? GAZ3 states that "Baronies are created no closer than 180 miles, viscounties at not less than 120 miles..."

Thanks in advance!
Jasper

Robin
Cloud Giant

Re: Mystaran Almanac 1015 AC Barony of Celedyl question

Post by Robin » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:02 pm

That maybe not directional distance (a linear line from Glantri City, but may be walking distance (like with a horse and wagon. until the 1925 in real world we also measured distances on land like this (I still have maps measuring disatances in how many hours walking, or by horse. And there are places where distances are even recorded in bowshoots (longbow).
this means when mountains, forests, water causes you to traverse other routes, these increase the walking distance, and thus shorten the linear distance
as to get from glantri city to Huledain you absolutely have to make several angles in you route, 144 miles of linear distance is now well over 180 miles walking distance
I have mapped the region in 1 mile hexes, which clarifies the route a bit, and thus the distance...take a peek
before meteor
after meteor
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:55 am

I think there was a older thread about that. Probably the rule should be interpreted in the sense the domain could become up to a viscounty in the future but still starts as barony?

feline74
Goblin

Post by feline74 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:04 am

I don't recall if the Gazetteer covered the founding of fiefdoms between barony and principality. Is it possible the baronial title is only an interim until he proves himself and earns the permanent Viscountsy?

Robin
Cloud Giant

Post by Robin » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:18 pm

Gaz 3 notes that the higher ranked a principality is the nearer it is allowed to exist to the main city Glantri...and as such having a greater voting power.
In GKoM the voting power is arranged a bit different (see GKoM page 23-24 sidebar yellow)
But even there are later other disruptions like Princess Dolores Hillsbury who has the BARONY of Fenswick only 4 8 miles hexes away from the city while Brannart McGregor has way more power is only 15 of these hexes away.
The distance system is thus not correct as suggested in Gaz3, but I think it better suits the line of GKoM (How weird actually , as this book is full with flaws and mistakes, alterations and ommisions)
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/

Jasper
Goblin

Post by Jasper » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:11 am

Thanks for the replies.

Where does it say in GKoM that Fenswick is only a Barony? I did check out Princess Delores and she's listed as having 12 votes - 10 for being a Princess and 2 for being Treasurer. Her nobility votes are left out entirely. I guess that just another mistake in that set.
Anyway, I have enough to rule on what I'm going to in my campaign anyway.

Return to “Mystara”