Skyrealms of Mystara (with Map)

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Havard, Gawain_VIII, Cthulhudrew, Seer of Yhog

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Skyrealms of Mystara (with Map)

Post by Havard » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:28 pm

(Click to Enlarge)

The idea with this map was to expand on the setting presented in PC2 Top Balista. Not only the city itself, but an entire world above the Known World can be explored. Long expeditions to Alphatia's Floating Ar or the Ee'ar and Enduk Realms of the Savage Coast is possible, but there are numerous locations much right above the Known World that can be visited for those in posession of a Skyship or a Flying Mount. A nod to Maldin Greyhawk's Underdark map which was part of my inspiration for this model.

Regions of the Skyrealms

Known World Region
  • Serraine: A Gnome run Flying City built on salvaged Blackmoor relics. It is home to many flying and other races (See PC2)
  • Shining Isles of Faedorne: These islands are home to the mysterious Faedorne and guarded by their Silver Warriors. It is said that they watch over the elves far below their Shining Isles. The islands are believed to exist both on the Prime Plane and the Faerie Realm of Feywood at the same time. (AC9)
  • Cloud Giant Castles: Cloud Giants are able to build castles on solid clouds (See AC10)
  • Thunder Mountains (Not on map): Dark Thunder Clouds always seem to hover above these mountains on the (B3 -OC)
  • World Mountain (Ethengar)
  • Blackmoor Satelite (Fan based, RobJN’s Nine Thrones)
  • Glibberlin’s Cloud Castle: Glibberlin is one of the best known wizards to have constructed a Cloud Castle. (AC11)
  • Faenare Realms (Above the Brokenlands): These feathered humanoids nest on the highest peaks of the Brokenlands (PC2)
  • Djinn Castles: Djinn have many Cloud Castles both on the Elemental Plane of Air and on Mystara, several are located above Ylaruam (Gaz2)
  • Heldannic Warbirds: The Heldannic Knights have built up an impressive fleet of flying ships in recent years (VotPA)
  • Retebius Air Fleet: A Thyatian force mounted in Wyverns and other flying creatures.
  • Thyatian Knights of the Air (Not on map)
  • Ethengar Pegasus Riders (Not on map: See Bruce Heard’s Mystara: World in Flames)
Alphatia Region
  • Floating Ar
  • Alphaks' Volcano
  • Alphatian Yachts
Savage Coast Region
  • E’aar Kingdoms
  • Enduk Kingdoms
Guide to the Sky Realms
  • Races of the Sky Realms (TBD)
  • Creatures of the Sky Realms (TBD)
Related Threads Thoughts?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Baron
Ogre

Re: Skyrealms of Mystara (with Map)

Post by Baron » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:50 am

Sounds like fun! I haven't looked at PC2 in ages though. Makes me want to give it a read again.

Mike
Ogre

Post by Mike » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:25 am

This is very cool!

stebehil
Ogre

Post by stebehil » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:35 am

This is just great! I loved the tongue-in-cheek tone of PC2, even if it takes the idea a little too far in places...

Khedrac
Ostego

Post by Khedrac » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:23 am

At what altitude would you put the shining isles of the faedornae? I would think near (or just above) the top of the atmosphere.
"If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it might just be a crow".

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:25 am

Great and useful map! What would also be interesting is to imagine regions of solid clouds which enlarge and shrink day by day, and move over different parts of the KW, a very different environment from that on the ground :)
Also what animals would live in such regions? high altitudes birds probably but also creatures of air and water.

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:19 pm

Awersome work indeed.
However, I offer some improvements;
1 the Shining Isles would be much Higher than Floating Ar, Serrainne, at least on level as the Cloud Giant castles, maybe even Higher as the text/illustration suggests a link to the Moon and space
2 The broken Lands have higher altitudes, and thus the section of Faenare too (see my 1 mile hex maps on the region where i worked out canon as far as possible)
3 the dragon figure (very nice btw) what would this suggest; average or top height of the dragon flight; then neither would be right. a Dragons can fly much higher, B to refrain from abundant energy use, they fly often much lower (also to easily catch prey). if it depicts something else...what does it depict?
4 The Blackmountains are 10.000'or so high (at least high enough to suffer oxygen deprivation due altitude as per X4/5
5 I also miss the average altitudes of a the Skyshield, breathable air, etc as per PWA

hope this helps
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:34 pm

Are my suggestions helpful Havard?
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:19 pm

Robin wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:19 pm
Awersome work indeed.
However, I offer some improvements;
1 the Shining Isles would be much Higher than Floating Ar, Serrainne, at least on level as the Cloud Giant castles, maybe even Higher as the text/illustration suggests a link to the Moon and space
2 The broken Lands have higher altitudes, and thus the section of Faenare too (see my 1 mile hex maps on the region where i worked out canon as far as possible)
3 the dragon figure (very nice btw) what would this suggest; average or top height of the dragon flight; then neither would be right. a Dragons can fly much higher, B to refrain from abundant energy use, they fly often much lower (also to easily catch prey). if it depicts something else...what does it depict?
4 The Blackmountains are 10.000'or so high (at least high enough to suffer oxygen deprivation due altitude as per X4/5
5 I also miss the average altitudes of a the Skyshield, breathable air, etc as per PWA

hope this helps
Thanks for pinging me on this one Robin! I was meaning to respond earlier. Your comments are indeed very useful.

Good input on altitutes in general. I would need help with finding exact numbers for the heights of the moutain tops of the Brokenlands compared to the Atruaghin Plateau and the tallest of the Alfheim trees.

Adding the Skyshield and maybe different layers of the atmosphere could be neat.

The Dragon was placed fairly arbitrarily. I think Dragons could be found probably at any altitude or above any region.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:28 am

Havard- a question about the inclusion of Alphaks' Volcano on the map. It was my understanding that this is a standard volcanic island, and not a floating volcano. Have I been missing something all this time, or was there some other particular reason you included it on this map?
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

stebehil
Ogre

Post by stebehil » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:26 am

The GAZ 10 map provides the varying heights of the mountain ranges and features, ranging from +10,000 ft to -600 ft. The world elevator reaches a top height of 2,700 ft., according to the GAZ 14 map.

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:23 pm

Hi Havard I have collected the following data for you :mrgreen:

I would have put them in a table if these would still work here on Piazza, yet all tables still create an confusing mess. :roll:
So here as list ;)

Broken Lands
I readjusted or expanded the Canon informartion of Gaz 10 as there were too much inconsistencies, lacks of information, contradictions, and outright impossibilities as seen to flow patterns of water. Compiling all canon sources(Canon Sources TM1, Gaz Ethengar, Gaz Broken Lands, Gaz 3 Glantri, amongst others), I came upon many flaws. With the making of my 1-mile hex maps of the Broken Lands I corrected these (there is one section still unresolved --yet this will be explained soon)
Broken Lands west
Broken lands east

The values after the name are the known canon sources, the ones after readjusted as I used them in my corrected 1 mile hex maps
Black Hills 450 Readjusted 1450
Black mountain ?? Readjusted 4000
Careanna ?? Readjusted 1000-1759
Sun's Anvil 800 Readjusted 4050-4575
Gnollistan hundreds above ground ?? Readjusted 2100-2900
Red Orcland ?? Readjusted 3000-3300
Natoka's Grave 2500 Readjusted 2500
Broken Lands south mountains ?? Readjusted 7000-7650
Kolland ?? Readjusted 1650-2350
Bugburbia hills ?? Readjusted 4500-6300
Mount Barbia 10000 & 4200 Readjusted 15355
Yellow Orkia 350 Readjusted 350-650
The Mucks ?? Readjusted 280-350
Ethengar 1800 slanted plateaux west lower?? Readjusted SW Ethengar 450-650
Akilla's Throne 650 Readjusted 650-710
High Gobliny hills ?? Readjusted 2800-4650
High Gobliny Mountains ?? Readjusted 4500-5500
Hobgobland ?? Readjusted 450-1250
Plateau of Zyrd 6000 Readjusted 6000
South Glantri ?? Readjusted 4320-4500
Corunglain lowlands 1850-1950 Readjusted 1850-1950
Corunglain 1800 Readjusted 1800
Glantri City 4800 Readjusted 4800
TrollhATTAN 900 lower?? Readjusted 2300-2500
oRCUS rEX ?? Readjusted 4500-5500
Valley of Khyr 3000 Readjusted 3000-4300
Mountains around Khyr ?? Readjusted 10000-11244
Ogremoor ?? Readjusted 6000-10280
yaks spur 10000 Readjusted 9800-11200
Fort Fletcher ?? Readjusted 6325
Darokin 1200 Readjusted 1200
Mountains around troll hattan ?? Readjusted 6000-8500
Vesubian River Nto S with each waterfall; ?? no information , even the amount of waterfalls vary with each source Readjusted Trintan 4300, fort zero 4200, vesubian primus 3900, Vesubian seconds 3600, Vesubian Tertio 3000, Vesubian pause 2350, 1800
Volcano Kalazyrd ?? Readjusted 8855
Twin volcanoes Gvozdenzuba ?? Readjusted 5705'Jezibaba 5725
Ashen Plain ?? Readjusted 4300-4600

Mountains TM1
average altitude 160miles (2 8-mile hexes away from foothills)
Altan Tepes 8950 highest peak mnt tarsus thyatis 11380
Black Peak 4500 highest peak Mnt Pavel Karameikos 5800
Broken Lands 10000 highest peak unknown
Colossus Mountains 18500 highest peak Stoneface Glantri 24350
Cruth Mountains 4000 highest peak Adrian Peak 5250
Glantrian Alps 20250 highest peak Mnt de Glace Glantri 25100
Hardanger Range 10000 highest peak Odharjokull soderfjord 15750
Icereach range 14000 highest peak Mnt Einrick Norwold 21050
Ierendi uplands 9000 highest peak Mnt Kikapua ierendi 12100
Kerothar mountains 19740 Mnt Eriadna Alphatia 24450
Kurish Massif 12500 highest peak Uruparda Sind region 18250
Makkres range 13800 highest peak Steel Fang Rockhome 15720
Diamond spurs 4500 highest peak Gold Needle minrothad 5200
Silver sierras 17000 highest peak adruzzo darokin 18820
Wendarian range 11300 highest peak Mnt Lea Glantri 16550

Floating Ar
https://mystara.thorfmaps.com/tag/floating-ar/
between canon 10000+ readjusted 3900 and 24000

Hometrees
Elven home trees 150-200 (gaz 5 page 16)
Elven sentinel trees 200-400

Clouds
https://atmos.washington.edu/~hakim/101 ... s_0432.jpg
Cloud giants thus would live either on Altostratus (13000-20000 feet)or on clouds 3000-6500 feet
I could imagine Storm giants having relocated the stole cloud giant castles at 24000 feet+
This remains consistent with Storm giant adventures of later editions

O2 page 21
The Faedorne Shining Isles can only be reached by a silver flying ship from the shattered pillars The description says'the stars beneath your ship are indeed stars!" Which means you are way further up than the breathable atmosphere to be able to see this....as it does NOT say Mystara is no longer visible it can be assumed this is extraordinary far (high) away or just thus high stars will be visible down to the sides of the planet. As sunlight still affects the islands "...where it is daytime. " the last seems the best reasonable. thus a height of several miles beyond the skyshield/atmosphere of Mystara would be reasonable to enable this to be seen as thus, yet still follow the same light affecting. As the moon is important in this, maybe somewhere inbetween Mystara and Matera??

Endless stair
300' into the air

X5
Well of the moon

leads to the Kingdom of the moon. no further detailing; thus either shining islands or the moon Matera or Patera itself. as Matera is surface dead it could lead into hollow moon, or onto surface of Patera /Myoshima

Atmosphere
breathable 20000
Skyshield 80000

Return to “Mystara”