Countries ruled by Magic users

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Gawain_VIII, Havard, Cthulhudrew

Wangalade
Gnoll

Countries ruled by Magic users

Post by Wangalade » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:20 pm

I just put up a blog post exploring the idea of having magic-users also being the ruling social class of society.

TL;DR Each country is ruled by a different type of magic user, wizard, cleric, druid, etc, and if that magic user is seen outside of their native country they are shunned/viewed with suspicion. Wizards rule Glantri, Clerics rule my version of the Thyatian Empire, Druids rule the Isle of Dawn, Shamans influence Ethengar, and Runic magic users are from the Northern reaches.

To go along with this I'm considering making the Alphatian magic users specialize either in psionics or be Artificers from Eberron

What do you guys think, what are some other types of magic I didn't consider, and what places might be the best placement for different magic types?
The question is: how many rolls of Duck Tape are needed to hold the universe together?
The Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything is: 42
42 Rolls of Ducktape
Web Map of Mystara

Chimpman
Hadozee

Re: Countries ruled by Magic users

Post by Chimpman » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:56 pm

Some of those places (like the Isle of Dawn and Alphatia) are pretty huge, and I would hesitate to lump them under one form of magic.

For example on the Isle of Dawn you have Thyatians (who in your case should bring with them Clerics and Immortal based magic), Thothians (who may practice more mystical arts), and Alphatians (who deserve more attention below). There may also be some "other worldly" populations, perhaps from Laterre so that may create some parallels with Glantrian magic as well. Anyway, I see the Isle of Dawn as more of a melting pot than anything else.

Alphatia is huge. Huge. A good place to start fleshing it out more than what is in the DotE is Bruce Heard's blog. He's gone back to further flesh out several (though not all) Alphatian Kingdoms in the past several years (you need to go back to the beginning of his blog to find that stuff).

So if I were to break out Alphatian Kingdoms (just off the top of my head):
Foresthome = druidic magic
Eadrin = shadow magic (if you have Tome of Magic you can use this for good ideas)
Ambur = star magic/other worldly pact magic (warlocks might be common, or perhaps use Magic of Incarnum)
Stoutfellow = I like the idea of Artificers here, I think it would fit "dwarven magic" well
Stonewall = could also be Artificers (perhaps taught by dwarves, or perhaps a different focus - maybe on crafting warforged/constructs?) I'm not sure Bruce fleshed this country out too far.

Those are some ideas just off the top of my head.

Anything touched by the kopru, I would give psionic powers to. So islands in the Sea of Dread may actually be full of psionic natives. That might be interesting.

Another way to categorize things would be to break out Wizardry into its component schools. Herath is another place full of magic users - so perhaps they are wizards that focus heavily on enchantment and shape changing...
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

Wangalade
Gnoll

Post by Wangalade » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:33 pm

My whole idea with Alphatia was that it is an empire with a ruling class of vancian wizards, but we already have that in Glantri, so I wanted to keep most of the material Heard had developed just switch it from an empire of wizards to one of psionicists. Your idea of having each kingdom in the empire ruled by a different type of magic user is also interesting. The premise behind this idea for me is that each country has a ruling social class of magic users that don't tolerate other types of magic users. Other forms of magic threaten their basis of power. So maybe if each kingdom in Alphatia is ruled by different magic users, then Alphatia could be less of an empire and more of a confederation or league where the magic users of each kingdom have agreed to work together. This would make the council of 1000 wizards more of a necessity, where each class of magic user gets a voice in the governing body. The political structure might look more like the Holy Roman Empire than the actual Roman Empire.

As for the Isle of Dawn, in my version of mystara it isn't split between Thyatis and Alphatia, it's currently undeveloped; I probably will include some of the Canon material for it like the Thothians and Helskir and the M-Britons. Basically each culture would have its own ruling class with a different type of magic.

Psionics among the natives of the Thanegioth archipelago does sound interesting; I might do something with that.
The question is: how many rolls of Duck Tape are needed to hold the universe together?
The Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything is: 42
42 Rolls of Ducktape
Web Map of Mystara

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:55 pm

Wangalade wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:33 pm
My whole idea with Alphatia was that it is an empire with a ruling class of vancian wizards, but we already have that in Glantri, so I wanted to keep most of the material Heard had developed just switch it from an empire of wizards to one of psionicists.
Ah, I got it. Making them psionicists does also give them that "alien" feeling, so that's probably a good choice.

Then again, if looking to Glantri, a major portion of that population comes from Old Alphatian stock (both Flaemish and Alphatian), so if Glantri is built on Vancian magic, the reason might be because Alphatia was originally built on Vancian magic. That's just the Mystara Historian in me coming out. I do understand (and sympathize with) the desire to make those two nations stand out from one another.

Not sure what version you're playing with, but I'll mention both Tome of Magic and Magic of Incarnum again because they present a couple of forms of magic that are different (enough) from Vancian magic to make them interesting. I'm not sure it would make sense to port Alphatia over to one of those forms, but take it for what it's worth. Honestly as I'm thinking about a way to make Alphatia stand out, psionics probably comes to the top of the list.

Hmmm... oh, you know I think RobJN basically ported over the Wheel of Time based magic to Alphatia. If you have access to that resource that's another possibility.
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:38 pm

Chimpman wrote:
RobJN basically ported over the Wheel of Time based magic to Alphatia. If you have access to that resource that's another possibility.
Yup. Alphatia took characteristics of the Aes Sedai,(formal, rigorous study) whereas the Flaemish tradition is more in line with the Seanchan (leashing of “wilders” and carrot/stick learning ‘for their own good’)
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Return to “Mystara”