Brun, Davania, Skothar, and ???

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Havard, Gawain_VIII, Cthulhudrew, Seer of Yhog

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Brun, Davania, Skothar, and ???

Post by Knightfall » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:52 am

I know there are three continents. But has anyone expanded beyond the canon? Is there room on Mystara for a fourth or, even, a fifth continent?

Opinions? Thoughts? Concerns? Links?
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Re: Brun, Davania, Skothar, and ???

Post by RobJN » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:56 am

Knightfall wrote:I know there are three continents. But has anyone expanded beyond the canon? Is there room on Mystara for a fourth or, even, a fifth continent?

Does Alphatia count as a continent?

There was some discussion about "extra continents" here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8445&p=106477#p106477
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter

Gecko
Storm Giant

Post by Gecko » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:13 am

And Bellissaria is usally described as a continent.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:24 am

RobJN wrote:
Knightfall wrote:I know there are three continents. But has anyone expanded beyond the canon? Is there room on Mystara for a fourth or, even, a fifth continent?

Does Alphatia count as a continent?
Yes and No. I would say it counted as a continent when it was a part of the Outer World. But being sent to the Hollow World subtracts it from the idea of more continental space.
RobJN wrote:There was some discussion about "extra continents" here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8445&p=106477#p106477
Thanks. I just ran through that whole thread. I think a larger ocean has merit, and I'd be inclined to place at least one continent in a expanded Farend Ocean region. A creation similar to Taladas, perhaps?
Last edited by Knightfall on Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:30 am

Gecko wrote:And Bellissaria is usally described as a continent.
I can see it as being both an island and a continent, but I'm trying to look beyond the core regions of the world. I want to try to brainstorm ideas for a 'campaign expansion' for Mystara, and I'd like to find out what other have already thought of.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Culture20
Bugbear

Post by Culture20 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:52 am

Most of Skothar and Davania are unmapped and not fleshed out, so a campaign expansion could easily be done there. There're a lot of fan made attempts. I happen to like that they're unmapped (along with Northwestern Brun) since that gives empty space for DMs to play.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:58 am

My homebrewed idea can be seen here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=10224
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:10 am

I understand the cartographical reason why it was proposed that the Farend ocean should be much bigger, but personally I would still use a map similar to the canon ones, where the ocean is big but not as big as half the world.
Anyway I do have some ideas about the area, but IMC I did not placed another continent there, rather I'd like to develop the sea kingdoms of the Master map along these lines:
- they should be integrated communities of acquatic and land based intelligent races, i.e most of the sea kingdoms are really underwater
- they should have plenty of islands, big and small, and also several movable islands/rafts, yet almost all the islands will be smaller than 8-10 miles of diameter.
- they should have a very diverse population that would include the first men (a khoikhoi -like population), lhomarrian humans, M-melanesian, M-polynesian, Tanagoros, rakastas, tritons, merrows and acquatic elves at least, and maybe some other races.
That's just my take, but obviously the ocean has enough room to put there any new continent you like...

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:53 am

Culture20 wrote:Most of Skothar and Davania are unmapped and not fleshed out, so a campaign expansion could easily be done there. There're a lot of fan made attempts. I happen to like that they're unmapped (along with Northwestern Brun) since that gives empty space for DMs to play.
I'll probably create some fan-based material for Davania at some point, but I want to learn more about it first.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:59 pm

I have always liked the idea of adding Aquaria to Mystara. Although Aquaria was originally intended to be located on Oerth, the fact that it uses Frank Mentzer's cosmology and let's face it is created by Frank himself, means it would fit easily onto Mystara.

However, my later tinkerings have been to add Aquaria to Mystara during the Blackmoor Era. Who knows what would have happened to the continent over the milennia that followed it?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “Mystara”