Using Ghostwalk in Mystara

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Havard, Gawain_VIII, Cthulhudrew, Seer of Yhog

Chimpman
Hadozee

Using Ghostwalk in Mystara

Post by Chimpman » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:41 pm

Ghostwalk is one of these accessories I bought which I thought was a very cool concept, but also thought would be difficult to fit into a pre-existing campaign (in this case run on the World of Mystara). However I've been going through some of my Gazs recently and just happened to stumble upon a place where Ghostwalk might not only work, but makes a lot of sense. Gaz 12 (The Golden Khan of Ethengar) deals heavily with the Spirit World (an outer plane) and the Land of Black Sand (an area in Ethengar that is in close proximity to the Spirit World).

Of course not all spirits can be represented by "ghosts" in Ghostwalk, but the humanoid ones could be. DMs could restrict their presence to the Land of Black Sand (and perhaps neighboring areas in Ethengar) if they don't want ghosts populating the rest of Mystara. The city of Manifest might need some changing (making it less cosmopolitan and more wild), although I suppose it could be a city that is actually located in the Spirit World. The Khans are actually taken to the World Mountain for burial and they may hang around as ghosts for a while once they get there, possibly willing to give their descendants advice from time to time.

Another big aspect of Ghostwalk is the struggle between the ghosts (spirits) and the undead. This struggle is also played out in the Land of Black Sand.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

dulsi
Storm Giant

Re: Using Ghostwalk in Mystara

Post by dulsi » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:17 pm

I just asked about Ghostwalk here. What did you think of the rules for ghosts? Have you ever played with it?
Dennis Payne -- Identical Games
Support Roon's Raccoon Sprintladder on Lego Ideas.
ImageImage

Chimpman
Hadozee

Re: Using Ghostwalk in Mystara

Post by Chimpman » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:22 am

I have not actually played with any Ghostwalk mechanics yet. I loved the book, and I love the idea. This is just a gut feeling, but I think the rules for ghosts are pretty balanced and they should be easily playable in a Ghostwalk campaign. However, I do think that there could be issues introducing the concepts into an already existing world or campaign. Ghost characters are only balanced if there are things like ghost touch weapons and armor in the world. If you include ghosts in the campaign without all of the magic weapons, items, and spells that go along with them, then I think there is a very real chance that things could become unbalanced quickly.

Here are a few more ideas for using Ghostwalk material in a Mystara campaign:

Ghosts in Glantri - These ghosts could be spirits of the forefathers of the Glantrian houses. The de'Ambervilles strike me as good candidates, as do the Thyatian and Alphatian houses. There may be some von Drachenfels ghosts as well. These spirits could be entirely normal, or perhaps have some tie in with the radiance. Crownguard and Igorov represent more traditional undead and can be used as foils for ghostwalk characters to play against.

Ghosts in the Lands Below - Both Shadow Elves and Brokenlanders may produce ghosts. As with Glantri, these ghosts (especially in Shadow Elf lands) may have something to do with the radiance. Perhaps their spirits only have free reign in areas where soul crystals are plentiful, giving the DM some means to restrict the ghosts (since soul crystals deteriorate above ground in the sun).

Ghosts on the Planes - I actually think that ghosts as presented in Ghostwalk are a nice way of representing petitioners on the outer planes. These could either be native inhabitants of these planes or the souls of the departed who are seeking their eternal rewards.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

Return to “Mystara”