the editorial team of the finally-named magazine is glad to announce:
The Mystara Magazine
Issue 1: Back to the Borderlands of Karameikos
And so, we are back where it all began: whether you came to Mystara through the Expert Set, the Gazetteers, or the AD&D 2e boxed sets, chances are the Grand Duchy of Karameikos was your gateway to the Known World and beyond.
A land of adventure, with dangerous borderlands teeming with hostile goblinoids, giants, and dragons but also magical realms, treasures and relics of distant ages, as well as towns and cities posing their own challenges, the Grand Duchy of Karameikos is, after more than 30 years from its original appearance, still the starting point for many adventurers.
As such, the first issue of Threshold, the Mystara Magazine, aims at spinning new tales from the Grand Duchy, as well as revisiting a few lost gems.
- The stated aims of Threshold are:
- to provide a venue for community members to present material
- to promote the Vaults of Pandius and the material there
- to increase the exposure of existing and new articles
- to encourage authors to revisit and revitalise existing articles
- to motivate interest in Mystara in general
- The issue of what is "canon" is not relevant and will not be touched upon by this publication. Publication in the magazine does not imply any kind of special endorsement.
- We aim to promote each individual's personal version of Mystara ("My Mystara"), and will introduce a different community member's version in each issue.
- We also aim to enhance community cohesion, and will interview a different member of the community in each issue.
Call for Contributions
Proposal Deadline: June 21st, 2013
Manuscript Deadline: July 31st, 2013
The Threshold editorial team invites all fans of the Mystara setting to submit contributions to the first issue of the magazine.
We are looking especially for contribution fitting the theme of the first issue, the Grand Duchy of Karameikos.
Threshold accepts (and invites) the submission of extended or revised versions of works having appeared on The Piazza or the Vaults of Pandius.
Contributions may include, but are not limited to, articles (short stories, short adventure modules, NPCs, historical treatises and timelines, geographical entries, new monsters and monster ecologies, etc.) and illustrations (portraits, maps, heraldry, illustrations, etc.)
The Threshold editorial team strives for edition neutrality, but edition specific articles (e.g., conversions) are also accepted.
Statistics for new monsters and NPCs may be included in articles (e.g., adventure modules, new monsters or NPCs) in any version of Dungeons & Dragons. The editorial team also offers help in providing conversions to some specific rules set (including BECMI/RC and 3rd edition). However, they should be limited to the minimum -- for most NPCs, it is sufficient to mention class, level, and alignment. For important NPCs, a one or two lines stat block could be included.
All proposal submissions can be sent by mail to the editors at the following address
Threshold.Mystara@gmail.com, and must be received by the deadline of June 21st, 2013. The Threshold editorial team will contact you no later than June 28th, 2013 regarding the status of your proposal.
Submission proposals should be sent inline in the mail, using the following subject format:
[ISSUE1][Proposal]<title of your article>
The mail content should include the following:
- Proposed article title
- The type of article being proposed (short story, adventure, geographical location, organization, etc...)
- A one paragraph description of what the article is about.
- An estimated word count of the article (articles should range anywhere from 1000 to 7000 words, depending on the type of article submitted).
Manuscripts should only be submitted after you proposal has been accepted by the Threshold editorial staff, and must be received by the deadline of July 31st, 2013. When submitting a manuscript file, please use the following naming convention:
(extension: see below for recommended file formats)
and the following subject format:
[ISSUE1][Manuscript]<title of your article>
The mail content should include the following:
- The article title.
- An attached document containing the article contents.
- The final word count of the article.
- Illustrations: please submit art and maps in lossless format (e.g., PNG).
- Articles: manuscript submissions can be sent by mail as plain text, doc(x) or odt, or shared as Google Doc. The issue editor will create a shared document (for each article) to allow the author and editorial team to work on it. Articles can be as short as a single page, or as long as 6 pages, depending on the specific content. The editorial team will do its best to accommodate the contributions, but especially long works may be split over several issues.
- Other types of contributions: the editorial team will consider on a case by case basis other types of contributions. Please contact us to inquire if and how we can accommodate unusual contribution formats.