Announcing Threshold: The Mystara Magazine!

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Gawain_VIII, Havard, Cthulhudrew

Spellweaver
Hill Giant

Re: Announcing Threshold: The Mystara Magazine!

Post by Spellweaver »

Classicdnd wrote:
Havard wrote:How about a joint venture between Threshold and Encounter Magazine in the future? :)

-Havard
Well, I'll happily plug Threshold in the next issue of Encounter (assuming there will be one), and also put a link on Encounter’s website if and when T:TMM obtains a home page. :D
AFAIK Threshold won't be getting its own website - we are using the Vault of Pandius to keep everything Mystara-related together in one nice place. But we may do a Facebook and G+ page in the future ;)
My fan-stuff over the years at the Vault of Pandius.

Classicdnd
Hobgoblin

Post by Classicdnd »

[
Spellweaver wrote:
Classicdnd wrote:
Havard wrote:How about a joint venture between Threshold and Encounter Magazine in the future? :)

-Havard
Well, I'll happily plug Threshold in the next issue of Encounter (assuming there will be one), and also put a link on Encounter's website if and when T:TMM obtains a home page. :D
AFAIK Threshold won't be getting its own website - we are using the Vault of Pandius to keep everything Mystara-related together in one nice place. But we may do a Facebook and G+ page in the future ;)
I would have thought a dedicated Threshold page on the VoP would be a sufficient 'shop front' web presence. But that's obviously a matter for Shawn etc. :)
Image Image

Spellweaver
Hill Giant

Post by Spellweaver »

Classicdnd wrote:I would have thought a dedicated Threshold page on the VoP would be a sufficient 'shop front' web presence. But that's obviously a matter for Shawn etc. :)
At the moment we are on the front page of Pandius with an image and link. Once issue #2 hits the streets there will probably be some kind of archive of issues, I imagine. :)
My fan-stuff over the years at the Vault of Pandius.

julius_cleaver
Frost Giant

Post by julius_cleaver »

So this is a bit of a bump...
This post has been drastically edited...as I confused Zenopus & Classic D&D as being the same person!!
What...A...Dunce!

@Classic D&D:
I haven't had much interaction with you "ClassicDnD", but I have a question or two.

Questions...Encounter Magazine. I guess there are only four issues? Who else was involved in this project? And I am always "confused" when people say "Classic D&D". To me this would imply D&D BEFORE the three hardbound books of the late seventies came out. Or the "White Box" Set with the Men & Magic...etc.
Does this magazine talk about OD&D/Classic White Box stuff...or BECMI/Mystara?
I also assume it is now defunct? As two years have gone by with out an issue? OR are you guys just taking a long hiatus because of real life stuff?
I will just add here I like the idea of Fanzine cross-pollination/promotion.

BASIC D&D to me implies the J. Eric Holmes monochrome blue book (and nearly impossible to find color version...or was this just the old painting they found at TSR headquarters?), followed by the "Purple Box" Basic and "Powder Blue" Expert Moldway Editions, followed by Frank's BECMI Sets, and lastly the Rules Cyclopedia.
Basic D&D has only one official/supported world...and its attached pocket plane. Mystara & Thunder Rift.

@ Zenopus:
Where are you getting all of the Holmes PDF stuff on your website? Are these just single pages taken out of the old Blue Book Basic Set? I only have the book, and not the boxed set. When I was young I picked up a copy. But of course Twelve year olds are more concerned about the future and what is coming out...instead of the "OLD" stuff. If only we had known how much we would later want this stuff!!

Oh...and Edit: Nice Website!
Last edited by julius_cleaver on Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's about as gothic as you can get with anthropomorphic beavers.

"You stumble into a spacious chamber with at least ten exits." The DM is a jerk. --Jeff Rients from Jeff's Gameblog

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo »

post added by mistake - please remove it
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Mike
Troll

Post by Mike »

Zenopus makes me think of alien felines!

For whatever is worth, I think Classic D&D refers to the non-advanced line which includes OD&D through BECMI, as opposed to the AD&D line. At least that's how I use the term. The B/X and BECMI were a continuation of the OD&D line, rather than a separate game, while AD&D was a branch of that trunk. There is no other accepted term that means non-advanced D&D. Just calling it D&D (the actual name) is too generic now.

julius_cleaver
Frost Giant

Post by julius_cleaver »

Yaztromo wrote:
julius_cleaver wrote: I also assume it is now defunct? As two years have gone by with out an issue?
Hello!
You can find eleven numbers of Threshold the Mystara Magazine here:http://pandius.com/thrs_mag.html
If you have a look around, you'll find all the related announcements on The Piazza ;)
Enjoy!
A...Yaztromo...I am talking about Encounter Magazine. Not Threshold. I was EiC for Threshold 10...so I am pretty "up" on what going on with the magazine.

Though AllanP, agathokles, Sturm, and Chimpman are the heavy hitters...

Leaving this quote here Yaztromo...otherwise mine doesn't make sense...AND...any link to the magazine is a positive thing!!

"You stumble into a spacious chamber with at least ten exits." The DM is a jerk. --Jeff Rients from Jeff's Gameblog

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo »

julius_cleaver wrote: A...Yaztromo...I am talking about Encounter Magazine. Not Threshold. I was EiC for Threshold 10...so I am pretty "up" on what going on with the magazine.
I realized it after posting my reply! :oops:
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

julius_cleaver
Frost Giant

Post by julius_cleaver »

Mike wrote:Zenopus makes me think of alien felines!

For whatever is worth, I think Classic D&D refers to the non-advanced line which includes OD&D through BECMI, as opposed to the AD&D line. At least that's how I use the term. The B/X and BECMI were a continuation of the OD&D line, rather than a separate game, while AD&D was a branch of that trunk. There is no other accepted term that means non-advanced D&D. Just calling it D&D (the actual name) is too generic now.
Yeah...I would agree with the simple D&D moniker being way too vague now Mike. But saying B/X and BECMI...IS or is an extension of OD&D seems misleading too. That would imply the rules were similar/the same. Or at least similar enough to make a "smooth" transition from one to the other. As I have friends who have a book or two of the White Box set, and having even started playing 3.5 with a guy seven years my senior that has a "perfect" White Box set he bought back in '74/'76*, I am familiar with the contents of the first incarnation of the game...but I have never used those rules, or even sat down and read them, or compared them with the Blue Box/Book...so I may just be talking out my ass...

*Though the box is thrashed...his books look like they are brand new!! It is the best preserved White Box set I have ever seen! Pretty amazing considering the years!

Though I first used the three Hard Cover books in Dec. '79 and '80 until October of '81, it wasn't until my birthday in '81 (Oct. 29) that I actually received my own D&D product. Which was the Moldvay Purple Box Basic. I did however receive some money as well for that birthday, and used it to buy an "unopened" copy of MMI with the first cover (the binding still "creaked" when you opened it), and the hardbound Player's Book, with the "second" cover. With the magic user on the front...
Thinking I got the DMs guide with Christmas money that year. Shortly thereafter I found MMII. The was the first book/product I think I bought just as it came out. All my other modules, while bought "new", had been out a year or two before I was able to purchase them.

But between '83 and '94, I think I bought nearly every Mystara product as it came out.

julius_cleaver
Frost Giant

Post by julius_cleaver »

Yaztromo wrote:
julius_cleaver wrote: A...Yaztromo...I am talking about Encounter Magazine. Not Threshold. I was EiC for Threshold 10...so I am pretty "up" on what going on with the magazine.
I realized it after posting my reply! :oops:
No worries...I just confused Classic D&D with Zenopus! Who am I to judge... :oops: :oops:

You have been I member of this site a similar length of time, and were you not also a member of the old Mystara Mailing List? In any case...I think you know what's up.

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath »

I'm not Zenopus, and I won't speak for him, (IOW, IANAL! LOL!) but I do know that the One-Page Reference sheets at his site were made by him for use with Holmes D&D. Some of his 1P reference sheets are also compatible with using Holmes with 0e & the Greyhawk Supplement.

As for the different edition monikers, I personally use 0e = OD&D (1974-1976 rules), Holmes = 1977 "Blue" Basic rules, BX = Moldvay/Cook/Marsh's Basic & Expert D&D sets (1980), BECMI for Frank Mentzer's line of (B)asic, (E)xpert, (C)ompanion, (M)aster, (I)mmortal D&D sets which ranged from 1981 to the late 80's or early 90's, and RC for the Rules Cyclopedia (1990-1?). There are other sets, like the Black Box Basic D&D rules that came out in the early 90's that took characters up to level 5, instead of level 3.

Those of us who still use the Greyhawk Supplement (0e supplement) manage to stir up a bit of confusion between the supplement and the setting, even though "GH" has always meant Greyhawk Supplement in my mind, and "WoG" meant "World of Greyhawk" setting. ;)

The same thing happens (but not as often, I think) when "BM" (Blackmoor Supplement) is confused with the setting, but, ironically, there is no "WoBM" abbreviation convention. :lol:
“Did I do anything wrong today, or has the world always been like this and I've been too wrapped up in myself to notice?”

Return to “Mystara”