[Play-by-Post] TC1 Testing?

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Gawain_VIII, Havard, Cthulhudrew

RobJN
Dire Flumph

[Play-by-Post] TC1 Testing?

Post by RobJN » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:43 pm

I know we are all very busy, with various Mystara-related things (I'm looking at you, Threshold! ;)), other projects (Hello,Kulan and Sarunia) as well as that pesky "Real Life" I hear so much about....

But....
Is there enough interest in a post-a-few-times-a-week Play-by-post run here at the Piazza's "Crystal Globe" forum to run TC1: The Baron's Favor through a play test?

• 2nd level PCs of your creation using BECMI/RC D&D
  • General Skills, yes.
  • Weapon Mastery shouldn't really be part of the mix at that level, but for the sake of future installments, yes, those rules would be used.
  • Use of Thorn's Mystaran Artificer and either flavor of Weaver (Sundsvall Initiate or Ciprian Wilder) is an option, if the player would like to put in some extra work hashing out a BECMI-ized version from Eberron/Wheel of Time RPG
I'm looking for a group of 4-6 players, ideally....
Back Cover Blurb wrote: Another girl gone missing!

Three in one month from Threshold alone, with more reports of abductions coming from the outlying farmsteads, and as far away as Eltan’s Spring and Verge.

Vampires, some say. Goblins, say others. Yet there is no sign of forced entry, no signs of struggle: just an open window and an empty bed.

The baron has solid leads, but with the Townguard stretched to its limit conducting door-to-door searches and increasing patrols along the Market Way and Windrush Roads, he needs adventurers willing to take the risk.

The notices appeared in the morning, tacked to every inn and tavern door, shouted from every corner by the criers: “His Lordship hereby offers reward to those brave enough to undertake a mission of utmost urgency. Inquire at Tarnskeep, no later than noontide.”
Signed up:
TAD, Hugin, Chord, Lightning Lord

On the fence:
Chimpman, Yaztromo
Last edited by RobJN on Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Gecko
Storm Giant

Re: [Play-by-Post] TC1 Testing?

Post by Gecko » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:26 pm

RobJN wrote:Is there enough interest in a post-a-few-times-a-week Play-by-post run here at the Piazza's "Crystal Globe" forum to run TC1: The Baron's Favor through a play test?
wow, a few-times-a-week is something I might actually be able to partake in, and I've been wanting to get in another game for ages....

Unfortunately I don't know what the next month might bring for me IRL, and I would hate to have to drop out part way through, so as much as I hate to say it, I'll have to decline. :(

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:34 pm

Gecko wrote:
RobJN wrote:Is there enough interest in a post-a-few-times-a-week Play-by-post run here at the Piazza's "Crystal Globe" forum to run TC1: The Baron's Favor through a play test?
wow, a few-times-a-week is something I might actually be able to partake in, and I've been wanting to get in another game for ages....

Unfortunately I don't know what the next month might bring for me IRL, and I would hate to have to drop out part way through, so as much as I hate to say it, I'll have to decline. :(
If not this time, then the next, perhaps :)

There are at least three more adventures in the path (The Stone and the Maidens, The Hag's Tear, and War of the White Lady), maybe more if inspiration keeps hitting me in the head.
Rob
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:56 am

I'd actually love to put this one through its paces. I'm pushing my commitment time-wise, but as a one off, I think I'd be willing.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:58 am

Chimpman wrote:I'd actually love to put this one through its paces. I'm pushing my commitment time-wise, but as a one off, I think I'd be willing.
This probably won't get off the ground until late spring/early summer, so I'll pencil you in as a "Definitely maybe" ;)
Rob

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:31 am

Etch me in stone. Will need help statting up a character though, it's been over 10 years since I played Basic.
When I hit 8,888 posts you're going to see some serious sh*t. :P

Social Media

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:37 am

The Angelic Dragon wrote:Etch me in stone. Will need help statting up a character though, it's been over 10 years since I played Basic.
Woo hoo!

Do you have any Basic material on hand? The red booklets, or the Rules Cyclopedia, either in treeware or from D&DClassics? Let me know what you have to work with, via PM.
Rob

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:48 pm

RobJN wrote:I'll pencil you in as a "Definitely maybe" ;)
The same may be for me, although.... you have a PM :cool:
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:52 pm

RobJN wrote:Do you have any Basic material on hand? The red booklets, or the Rules Cyclopedia, either in treeware or from D&DClassics? Let me know what you have to work with, via PM.
I actually don't have any BECMI materials, the closest I have is Dark Dungeons. I should be getting a little bit f cash soon from unload some rpg books, so I'll be able to invest in the PDF of Basic.
When I hit 8,888 posts you're going to see some serious sh*t. :P

Social Media

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:20 pm

The Angelic Dragon wrote:
RobJN wrote:Do you have any Basic material on hand? The red booklets, or the Rules Cyclopedia, either in treeware or from D&DClassics? Let me know what you have to work with, via PM.
I actually don't have any BECMI materials, the closest I have is Dark Dungeons. I should be getting a little bit f cash soon from unload some rpg books, so I'll be able to invest in the PDF of Basic.
Okay. This won't be starting for a while yet, so there's no hurry.
Rob

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:21 pm

Well... isn't Dark Dungeons sufficient?

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:40 pm

My interest in giving this a go-round is high. I haven't played Basic in roughly 15 years, or any RPG in over 5 years. I'm itching to have a game and this seems like the ideal way to get it done. The timing looks great too as the next two months will be very busy but lighten up after that.

Sign me up!

Chord
Hobgoblin

Post by Chord » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:23 pm

I would be interested depending on the frequency.

I've never played by post before. how does that work?

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:19 pm

Chord wrote:I would be interested depending on the frequency.

I've never played by post before. how does that work?
One might think of play by post as working like an "Endless Quest" or "Choose Your Own Adventure" book, but there are no pre-set choices or page numbers, and the "book" writes itself from entry to entry, based on the back-and-forth between the DM and players.

I like to allow players to roll their own dice. We're all adults here, I think we can trust each other with General Skill checks, or rolls to bash open a door. I do reserve the right to roll the "behind the screen" stuff myself (Hide in Shadows, Move Silently, secret door detection), and all rolls for combat -- quick as BECMI D&D combat is, it still can crawl along during play-by-post. In these cases, I'll ask players for their intentions, before initiative, and then run the numbers/actions "in the background," then post a summary of what happens -- not necessarily a blow-by-blow account. Lather, rinse, repeat for each combat round.

The "twice a week" is a minimum post rate. There may be times when I post more often (answering questions, NPC dialogue), but expect an update (and expect to respond to it) at least twice a week. Now, y'all can post amongst yourselves, in-character and out (I'll have separate threads for OOC chat where you can discuss tactics, plan moves, or talk about the weather) more often than the twice a week. In fact, I encourage that. Some of the best stuff in Play by Posts comes from the banter between PCs. :lol:

Please let me know if you have further questions.
Rob

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:28 pm

So it looks as if I've got, thus far:

Signed up!
TAD
Hugin

Maybe:
Chimpman
Yaztromo
Chord

Prior knowledge of Thorn's Chronicle is not necessarily needed, as I'm planning to keep this closer to baseline-Mystara (as written)... Unless you want to go with a full-on adaptation to the Chronicle "mythology."
Rob

Chord
Hobgoblin

Post by Chord » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:59 pm

I'll do it, it sounds like something I can handle at twice a week.

Although I ask for patience as my first time doing play by post I'm sure I'll have lots of questions or mess up a few times :oops:

Lightning Lord
Orc

Post by Lightning Lord » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:43 pm

I'm down. Can a character be from anywhere in the Known World?

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:22 am

Lightning Lord wrote:I'm down. Can a character be from anywhere in the Known World?
So long as you can justify being in the mountains of northern Karameikos, it's all good... ;)
Rob

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:25 am

Chord wrote:I'll do it, it sounds like something I can handle at twice a week.

Although I ask for patience as my first time doing play by post I'm sure I'll have lots of questions or mess up a few times :oops:
The Frantics wrote:"You must learn patience--"
"Yeah, yeah, patience. How long will that take?"
All right, I'll chisel your name in ;)
Rob

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:29 pm

So, my thoughts have turned in the direction of porting TC1 over to Dark Dungeons and filing serial numbers off Mistamere.*

This would mean that nobody wishing to partake in the playtest would need to fork over money to purchase either the RC or Moldvay/Mentzer Basic set PDFs. I don't want anybody having to spend $$ to join the fun.

Thoughts? People still interested?

I'm looking at a late March/early April start up.

*Yeah, yeah, I know. "But what about the atmosphere??" It's all part of my Master Plan. Involving OGL stuff. And maybe even.... books. :o
Rob

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:05 pm

Well, I kind of really had my heart set on BECMI/RC D&D since I haven't played it in so long. That said, I'd still be up for a game using Dark Dungeon's since it's based on those.

robertneaves
Ogre

Post by robertneaves » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:11 pm

I'll play. I'd prefer BECMI/RC to Dark Dungeons, but either way.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:38 pm

I'm up for trying Dark Dungeons too. It would be my first time.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:44 am

All right, well, here's how we'll play it:

• If you have the Basic Set/RC, use that. General Skills are being used.
  • If you don't have the Basic Set or RC, you can use Dark Dungeons.
  • If you have both, flip a coin :P
  • Regardless of source, PCs will be 2nd level (yes, even elves!): Max HP (so, 2 full Hit Dice, plus CON bonus, if applicable)
  • I don't really have a preference for party makeup -- play whichever class you want to play, but be willing to work as a team. Your PCs don't necessarily have to know each other, since the initial setup is intended to throw groups together from the start.
  • You can be of any alignment, but Chaotic-stupid will most likely not be tolerated (see note above about working as a team) :P
The trigger encounter will drop March 31st, so I'll need your character sheets no later than the 24th.
Rob

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:28 am

I agree: honestly, I wouldn't start a jihad on the differences between Dark Dungeons, D&D Basic and the Rules Cyclopedia.
When you play the different nuances become invisible.
Even better if each player doesn't state which ruleset is followed until the very end, after a betting round about that is closed. That would be interesting :)

Return to “Mystara”